“Food Cart Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Takeout
Annandale, Virginia
“Food Cart Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I discovered Carmen's Food Cart at today's Takoma Park Folk Festival. Normally I don't mess with frozen custard because I remember the rich, high fat custards of my youth and today's custards seem wimpy by comparison. I decided to try Carmen's Gelati however when a satisfied customer described her "Thai Dye" Gelati to me--pepper-mango-coconut ice wedged between layers of vanilla frozen custard.

The Thai Dye I tried had a wonderful balance of sweet and spicy and the custard blended beautifully with mango ice. The custard itself had the rich, creamy mouth feel of old fashioned custard. No way would you mistake it for frozen yoghurt!

For $4 for a small and $5 for a large, the gelati was the best food deal at the whole festival.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Some of us liked it & some did not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The chocolate, mango and strawberry lemon ices were thrown away half finished. The gelati was liked but was not finished. I liked and finished my frozen custard but that may be why I'm pudgy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gaithersburg, MD
“All reviews agree: The Italian Ice/Gelato/Yogurt is Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This shop is fantastic for frozen desserts. They give free tastes, opinions, suggestions, and smiles!
The server who helped us was so nice - when we couldn't decide between 3 different types and flavors, she offered to mix all three in one cup! The best thing of all was that everything was really good. This company not only turns out a good product, but serves the community as well. They help local schools with fundraisers, and are fantastic in supporting worthwhile causes. As the summer season gets here (finally!) - don;'t hesitate to stop in - everything is REALLY good. Lastly, you do not have to settle for normal vanilla, chocolate, etc. The flavor list is very unique, including a variety of berries, nuts, etc - definitely try the Salted Caramel!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely ice cream as summer starts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went on Jayden day (Monday) for their discounted ice cream and had the custard pie cup. There was a line when we got there which we waited in for about 15 minutes but since it was a pleasant night, it was fine. The pie part was just stewed apples so maybe they ran out of the pastry but the custard was great. My brother in law's blondie bar was wonderful. Word of advice, salted caramel ice cream goes great with warm pie. I think I am just going to stick with this one combination from now on but then I like pie and baked goods. I saw most people walking out with the gelato and custard combinations.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rockville
“Real deal homestyle ice cream cafe off the beaten path in Rockville.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great place for ice cream & related cold frozen stuff. An honest-to-goodness local institution in the north end of Rockville. The staff welcomes everybody as a friend and neighbor, even if you are walking in for the first time. Owner Jason & his associates set the gold standard as staunch Rockville community supporters. Their mobile truck selling ice cream is a welcome fixture at city events and kids sporting events, they are the first to pitch in at fund raisers and charity events, and everybody in town knows about them. My only ding is their expresso-style coffee isn't great. That's too bad...their location on Nelson St. is just down the road from Exit 6 to I-270, and I wish I could get a better Latte there when headed out in the morning. The few tables of outdoor seating make a great place to read the paper and have a coffee on nice days...would be better if the coffee was better.

• Visited October 2012