“Worst hotel experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 West Montgomery Avenue, Route 28, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Worst hotel experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We arrived and stayed in room 200. The room was filthy dirty -- large stains on the all the carpets, smelling horrible, etc. We asked if there were other rooms available and were told that the hotel was full and we had no option.

We then tried to watch television and the reception was so poor that many channels weren't even viewable! We called the front desk again and they sent the engineer, he was nice, but just shrugged his shoulders and said, yes, the hotel has an old analog TV system and the result is that the reception is bad. How in 2015 can you not have digital TV service? Don't advertise that you have HD TVs and proper TV service if the channels don't even come in!

We then tried to go to bed, but the pillows were horrible - much smaller than a standard-sized pillow and not even made of normal pillow material -- instead, they were filled with broken up pieces of stuffing, not solid real pillows at all! We asked for some real pillows and were told that there are none, that this is all the hotel has.

Then, when we went to bed, we were FREEZING, the temperature outside was in the low 40s and our room was so very cold that we could not sleep. We tried to turn on the heat, but NOTHING. We called the front desk again, and were told that there was no heat -- it had been turned off for the season. We had to get extra blankets from the front desk and froze for the first three nights we were there without sleeping well.

Then we experienced the housekeeping service -- for three days they didn't vacuum the room once or replace any amenities! I had to AGAIN speak to the front desk and ask for our room to be vacuumed and for amenities to be placed in the room.

The hotel was so horrible, that we tried to find another hotel in the area to move, but all were unfortunately full.

We spent 11 nights in your hotel dealing with the horrible situation and spent a fortune there.

Then on the last day we asked for a slightly late check out... "NO!" we were rudely told by one of the ladies at the front desk. "If you don't vacate your room within 15 minutes we are going to charge you another full day" we were told. I absolutely could not believe the rudeness, especially after we had spent 11 days there, that we could not be given an extra hour before checking out.

I have to say, this was one of the WORST hotel stays that I have ever stayed in. Everyone should know what a dump this hotel is and how the hotel does not care about its guests. It was just the absolute worst experience. I will also be filing a complaint directly with Best Western so that they are aware that your hotel does not meet their standard of service or quality.

Avoid this hotel at all costs!

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel... find another one in the area.
Green Features: They save electricity by not vacuuming the rooms and not having the heat turned on... horrible.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Firestone Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I had a one night stay in Rockville and was pleased with my stay at the Best Western Plus. It is a older hotel and showing it's age but you can tell the staff and management have done everything they can to keep it clean and in good working order. I was on the top floor and the AC unit was noisy and didn't keep the room as cool as I would have liked. The room door handle opened up which was just a known issue to the staff but for some reason they don't feel the need to do it right which is an easy task so is I guess just a pet peeve with me. The bed was old and uncomfortable. I usually stay with a Hilton brand hotel so this was less quality than I am used to, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Eastpointe, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at this location May 14th-17th. The location of the hotel was perfect, right off the freeway! The hotel itself wasn't bad or great, is was ok. It was clean, the rooms were a good size, but customer service was limited. I never stayed at a hotel were the employees didn't know anything about the area, never-the-less thank God for GPS and the Internet (which was free!) Free WiFi is always a plus in my book and with that I would stay at this location again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We recently stayed in this hotel for a youth sports tournament. We were traveling with a group, and had reserved a room for 2 nights. When we arrived late Saturday evening, I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly we were checked in and the quality of the room. The lobby was also big and comfortable enough to sit and visit in. My only concern about the room was the loud fan on the air conditioner, but it was a minor distraction at best. The breakfast was also really good. There was plenty of food and everything was fresh.

My concerns began when I read the sign at the front desk about the 25% extra "hold" they placed on my debit card to cover if we stole or broke anything in the room. I'm not sure what kind of clientele they are used to, but we've stayed at several other hotel chains locally and NEVER had anyone preemptively charge me for stealing or breaking something in the room. They also charge $1.50 for use of the in room safe, which they will remove if you ask upon checkout. They do tell you about these charges up front, when you check in, but I still think its crazy to charge me for something that I didn't do or use.

I was also disappointed when we asked the front desk about the option of a late checkout at 1pm, instead of the usual 12pm. We were unsure of our game schedule at that point, and would possibly not need the room for the second night. We we told that this option was impossible because the housekeeping staff couldn't possibly wait until 1pm to begin cleaning our rooms. The staff seemed unconcerned and completely unmotivated to help us find a solution. When we asked to speak to a manager, we were told that they don't have a manager on duty over the weekend. We ended up staying, and we were back at the hotel for a couple of hours in the afternoon. As of 2pm, our room had not been cleaned, so I'm not sure what the front desk meant when they said housekeeping couldn't wait until 1pm to clean.

Between the the extra charges for things I didn't do/use, and the lack of cooperation on behalf of the front desk staff, I wont likely return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
BWRockvilleMD, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for taking a moment to post your review. I am sorry that you had a less than adequate experience with a staff member. We take pride in our training and will look into the possible causes for your experience as described. and can assure you that your next visit will be much better. Thanks again and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you and your family.
Henderson, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

room 204 was very bad.New room was fine.food was good and service was very good.There were many buses arriving late at night with young students who were very noisy.If i went to this area again I would search for a hotel which is newer and not a stop for four buses very night.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for posting your review, we'll look into the room's condition to determine the proper action steps. As far as buses go, the area is a destination for student tour groups and sports groups at this time of the year so 90% of the area's hotels will have students and buses. The only hotels that might not have student tours are the 5 star hotels that they cannot afford.
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stay here often for a day or two, well over a dozen times a year. I am a Diamond card Best Western blah blah -- they couldn't care less. No upgrades (from a double to a king when my husband decided to join me for one of the nights), not even to move to a room where everything worked properly, since the only available rooms were also "upgrades" I hadn't paid for. I'm not an entitled cretin, but really, you couldn't give me a decent bed with a working TV when the hotel had an empty parking lot (aka almost no guests)? So, from a customer service standpoint, terrible. So, why do I come back? Because it's a lot -- LOT -- cheaper than the other hotels around. Now, I don't bother booking through Best Western, because, as I said, they don't care -- so I now use hotels.com which at least gives points and actually gives me a King bed for the same price as the double beds lol! And I don't put water in the refrigerator anymore because they always freeze and explode -- 4 different rooms, same problem without being able to fix the setting!! -- and I bring my own pillow because theirs are very lumpy foam that smell bizarrely weird, but I like the free wifi, HBO works most of the time, the shuttle to the metro can be handy if the timing works out, and parking is free and although I don't eat their breakfasts, they are not bad for a free buffet. I try to remember to skip it in the Spring and Fall if there's a heat wave, because they won't put the A/C on, even if it's been 75-90 every day for weeks, until mid-May, and on a higher floor the sweltering heat will kill you. So, yes, every time I look to see if someone, somewhere, can come close to the price so I can stay there instead...and almost always end up here, because, it's OK and you can't beat the price.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Thank you so much for being a loyal customer despite the challenges you've experienced in the past. We really try hard to make a guest's stay pleasant and rewarding in every way and it shows in all the great reviews we get on a consistent basis. Now and then, we drop the ball and nature does her share in the spring and winter. Parking lots can be deceptive at this time of year since 4 to 6 buses full of tourists or students take up all the rooms and the buses leave early and come in late; that's when it's hard to find a replacement room - we promise to make every attempt to do better next time - especially in the upgrade department for a Diamond Member.
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel was the nicest BW property we've ever stayed at. Beautiful spacious lobby, very large, well-appointed room with comfortable king bed, desk with chair and very large arm chair with hassock. Large clean bathroom had great shower. Staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. Shuttle to Metro available hourly. Breakfast fine; could have used more variety, but perfectly acceptable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate your feedback and it really helps our future guests who take in the whole picture on the reviews. We look forward to your next visit and wish you safe travels.

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!