“Overall excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 West Montgomery Avenue, Route 28, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Overall excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Wyndham Gardens in Gaithersburg, the Quality Suites in Rockville, and the Best Western Plus Hotel and Suites in Rockville. The Best Western remains our number 1 choice. This is, in part, because of the excellent breakfast, which is included in the price of the room, where the Wyndham charges an extra $10 per person and the included breakfast at the Quality Suites was, when were last there, of distinctly lower quality and tables were bused inadequately.

The only caveat is that some rooms on the 7th floor have inadequate heating. The first room we were given never got above 60 degrees. Management quickly switched us to a room with adequate heating.

Toward the end of our most recent stay, December 31 through January 3, there was some sort of dining room glitch at the Best Western. One of the two dining room workers was not there, and the remaining one was overwhelmed by the need to bus tables and to keep the breakfast buffet, including dishes and utensils, filled. I assume that that problem was only a temporary glitch. I am certain, however, that it did result in a mountain of complaints.

But, overall, and assuming that problem is addressed, the Best Western remains our family hotel of choice in the Rockville area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We never get tired of learning we have another new fan!! Thanks so much for you great feedback. We work really hard to take good care of our guests… and it shows. We are so lucky to have a great team here… so thank you so much for noticing. We really are a hidden gem. I’m so sorry that we were short staffed in our breakfast room. That is such a popular amenity of ours we take great care to be sure our guests are well fed and well cared for… it’s a great way to start the day.

We hope to see you here again at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Rockville Hotel & Suites. Please share your experience with your friends and family. If you are on Facebook, please like us at /BestWesternPlusRockville and on twitter /BWRockville. Also check out our Facebook page for our specials for added savings!

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family of 5 and my mother were planning on visiting Washington DC for the first time. I did a lot of research for a good hotel that was affordable, clean, offered breakfast and parking and a shuttle to Metro. I was a bit nervous choosing a place in an area I've never been but let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised. The pictures were exactly what I walked into. It was very clean. The beds were super comfortable. The shower head gave great water pressure. It was a pet friendly hotel. Housekeeping was very thorough. They only had one elevator because they were upgrading their other one but it was ok...not that much of a bother. Our cable (HBO) was blocked but once you called the front desk, they corrected it for us right away. We stayed in two rooms - both with two double beds. They had a good size fridge and micro as well. The breakfast was awesome and a good value for a big family (I have three teenage boys) They provided a hot breakfast - very good....eggs, bacon one day, sausage the next, home fried potatoes, breads, waffle maker, fruit, yogurt. We all filled up on it and were well satisfied throughout the day. The parking was free. They offered a free shuttle to Metro. The drivers were very nice. Metro can be a little pricey (six of us cost us back and forth about $87! So the next day we drove and found parking in DC (about $30 - little cheaper and allowed us flexibility to leave when we needed to.)The front desk could've used some additional training on what was available in the surrounding areas and knowledge of the maps that were close by their station (which they apparently did not know) but either way, the visit was great, the price was good. The hotel is quiet even when they had several buses of students - you didn't hear them. The only time I heard someone loud was my last night and there was someone across the hall from me making a lot of loud laughter past 11. The front desk responded and called them to keep it down. The hallways are a bit dim - but all in all, I would definitely recommend this place and if I do return to DC, we would definitely stay here again! Thank you for making our vacation wonderful!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 401/403 and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m particularly happy to hear you enjoyed your stay because this is your first trip to the Washington, DC area. As a native from the DC area, I never get tired to hear someone enjoyed their first trip to my great hometown. There is so much to see and do … it great that you really did your homework before you started your trip.

Be sure to plan a trip to see us again. Not only are we getting two brand new elevators (as you noticed), we are also getting a total refresh of our lobby, guest room hallways and more! Having the HBO turned off was a mistake on our part. There was a student group in the night before you – and HBO was turned off. Our new upgrade will include a more automated way to turn on and off the movie channels. By the way, I hope you enjoyed our new HD flat panel TVs with Directv offering even more choices for our guests.

Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We saw this hotel listed on Groupon and we were planning a visit to D.C. so we snagged it. We stayed here for two nights and it was a great deal, great stay! Right near the metro, in a nice town. We were surprised at how few cars were in the parking lot. It's not busy at all. The staff was very warm and friendly. The rooms were nice and clean. Breakfast was decent and free. Be sure and get down there early though - the eggs and orange juice were gone by 9 and they never refilled during the hour we were down there. The wi-fi worked wonderfully. We had a really great experience and will absolutely stay again if we are ever again in the area! Also as a tip which we didn't know until after our stay - they have a shuttle that will take you to the metro for free!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. Smart move to check out groupon for specials. I have to agree we had a great promotion with them not too long ago. Keep your eyes peeled for another special we will be running with them soon for your next stay in the Washington, DC area. I will pass on your comments about our very warm and friendly staff our team. We really do have a great group here – they really love to take care of our guests – that’s something you just can’t teach. By the way, we not only offer a free shuttle to the metro that is less than 2 miles away – but also to local dining, shopping and entertainment options. I will also pass on your note about the eggs. We keep our buffet filled throughout the operating hours of our breakfast room. I’m so sorry if we miss replenishment during your stay.

We look forward to see you here again at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Rockville Hotel & Suites. Please share your experience with your friends and family. If you are on Facebook, please like us at /BestWesternPlusRockville and on twitter /BWRockville. Also check out our Facebook page for our specials for added savings!

Fargo, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week during the National Cherry Blossom Festival. It worked out well as the hotel is convenient to two metro stations and offered value that many others did not. If booking here, don't expect a new hotel, but overall it was decent, clearn and the staff friendly and accommodating. Attention to details in lacking in some areas, however. As an example, the first hotel we were put in the door would seal properly. You could see through to the entire room between the door and the door jam from the hallway. Obviously a security and privacy issue. We were moved to another room when we brought it to their attention. Then there is the issue of banging doors. The doors to the room close heavily and when closed sound like a gun-shot echoing down the hall. With people coming and going from their room day and night that wears on the nerves. Lastly, housekeeping needs to ensure they check and turn off alarms when people check out of the hotel. On three different occasions we heard alarm clocks wailing away for extended periods of time--once at 1:30 a.m. To their credit, when reported the staff did respond quickly. It shouldn't happen to begin with, however. To wrap up, it's a decent hotel at a good price for the area. But, don't expect a modern facility providing a quiet oasis. We'd likely try another hotel on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the interstate highway. Noise from the highway...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us you feedback. We love to hear from our guests and take all gust feedback very seriously. I’m glad you found our hotel clean and our staff friendly. We have a great team here and are told countless times a day how friendly our staff is. I’m glad you noticed this as well.

I have brought the points you mentioned to the attention of our management team so they can take care of them. It sounds like you will be returning to the area sometime. We would love for you to come back. We are in the process of starting a really exciting refresh of the hotel including a brand new lobby, new elevators and a redesign of our guest floor hallways. We would love for you to have an opportunity to enjoy our fresh new look.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel over the weekend for a quick and inexpensive getaway. They offer a great hot breakfast which is complimentary and free wi-fi as well. The hotel is a bit dated but they are in the process of making rennovations. I noticed our bathroom had new granite in the shower and they were working on the elevators this weekend which was an inconvenience but we weren't in a rush to go anywhere. Overall the hotel was clean, quiet and the beds were very comfortable. The location is about 15-20 minutes from D.C. if you don't want to spend $200 a night for a hotel down there. If we go back to the area we would consider staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I have to agree with you – we are the ideal location for a quick and inexpensive getaway. Between our free parking, free shuttle to metro and all the free attractions Washington, DC has to offer… it’s always a great value to stay with us when visiting the nation’s capital. You are right about our complimentary hot full American breakfast buffet – it really is great… and a great way to start the day. Along with the upgrades you mentioned., we are getting a full refresh of our lobby including carpet, new flooring, furniture as well and updates to our guest room hall ways as well as brand new elevators.

Rishon Lezion, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for five nights for business. It was easy to find. Easy and quick check in. The hotel room was very good. The breakfast was also adequate (included). Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel. Free parking, free internet (wi-fi).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have to say we really are a little hidden gem. We pride ourselves on giving great value … and we never get tired of our guests noticing that. I’m glad you could call us home while on your business travel. Being a PLUS hotel, one of Best Western’s distinguished designations, we really are the ideal business hotel for people traveling to Rockville and the DC area.

Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is fairly close to the highway, making access easy.
The rooms were clean and well stocked with cups, soap etc.
As others have said, the services provided are very good including wifi around the building, a business centre available to all residents that has computers and a printer. There's a pool available for use although it wasn't open yet when I stayed. The gym is nice to use, it was empty each time I went which was a bonus!

However being impressed with the rest of the hotel made the breakfast all the more disappointing!
A few times there was not enough plates or cutlery. The bacon was very crispy (not sure if that's just an American thing or not) but also very oily at the same time. A few days I had juice which was nice and then when I went to get more the next day, it was extremely watered down.
There was also coffee available all day in insulated containers but it was cold most of the time.

Just a note to the Director of Sales who I have seen has replied to other reviews - Please update the internet browsers in the business centre, using Internet Explorer 8 in 2013 is not good! Certain things I wanted wouldn't load due to the browsers being out of date! Thanks

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m so glad you found our guest rooms clean and well stocked. I have to agree with you – our location is perfect … especially for those not familiar with the area because the hotel is so easy to get to, plus easy to get right into Washington, DC from our location. Glad you liked the gym. We just upgraded it with a new look. Our seasonal outdoor pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I hope your next visit will be during that time so you can enjoy a swim after a long day or work or touring.

You may be right, we Americans do tend to like our bacon crisp. That said we do have a very international clientele so your comments have been forwarded to our operations team. As for our computers in our complementary business center, we will be upgrading the software on them as we give our entire lobby a fresh new look.

Director of Sales

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!