“A clean convenient site close to Washington DC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 West Montgomery Avenue, Route 28, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“A clean convenient site close to Washington DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

If you want a hotel that is convenient and very close to Washington, DC, this is a very good place to stay in order to avoid trafic. Our arrival was handled efficiently and to the point. We were told what room to go to and that was that. The right words were said for welcoming us to the hotel. The room was very clean and we had clean towels every day. Linen is not changed every day maybe every three days. You can ask for the linen to be changed if you happen to read the information on the desk. We missed that until the last night. The hotel is a good average hotel which offers some extras. There is a buffet breakfast served every morning. We stopped in twice for the breakfast during a four night stay and found the breakfast to be Okay. Lots of food and coffee. Also, the tables are cleaned quickly. If you are a breakfast person, this is a good selling point as it is included with your stay. I guess if you have a big appetite, you can eat as much as you like.
We stayed at this hotel as it was convenient for us as we were visiting family in Rockville and wanted to also have the opportunity to visit Washington DC. The hotel has a van that will take you to the metro. It will also take you to some of the stores and restaurants in the surrounding area according to the driver. This is very convenient for those who do not want to drive their own car or who do not have transportation. The van is old and banged up. The top step to get on and off is bent and just waiting for an accident to happen. However, if you are careful in getting on and off, it works. The van is a convenient way of getting back and forth to the metro. We had to take a taxi to the metro one morning as the van had about twenty guests with their luggage waiting to be transported to the metro. A ride on the van will save you about $12 on taxi fare if you take the van. The van drivers are friendly and seem to enjoy their job. However, the front desk staff seemed to be out of sorts for a couple of days during our stay. People do have "off" days but if you work with the public, try to put the fair side out. A little training would go a long way to be able to answer simple questions with a "look see" on the computer. The clerks are not rude, just a little impatient. I did not have any interaction with the manager. Actually, the front desk is efficient for check in and were just not interested in being friendly. I think that the availability of a computer and a fast printer are a plus. This hotel has four computers for the guests to use of which two were working at the time. I was able to print an itinerary from AAA which I needed. This is a big plus for business people and travelers. All in all, in spite of the little incidents, we would consider statying at this hotel again. Clean, convenient, and very good parking. A good deal for people who want a convenient place to stay especially if going back and forth to Washington DC. Spacious grounds and safe. This hotel is close to the Interstate.
Our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Rockville/ DC area and found our location to be convenient touring DC. We take our guests’ feedback very seriously. We have a new shuttle van on order. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area.

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I recently stayed here with family to attend a wedding in the DC area. For some reason, our reservation showed us coming a day later so when we arrived at the property on the first night, we didn't have a room and the hotel was sold out. Yikes! Since we hadn't made the reservations ourselves and were part of a larger wedding group, I don't know what the source of the error was but I did appreciate that the hotel staff immediately got on the phone and tried to get us a couple of rooms at a nearby hotel. When we did finally check in the next day, the staff made extra effort to check us in early (before noon) and they made sure to put all of our rooms on the same floor. From then on, it was pretty smooth sailing at the hotel.

I would echo some of the other reviews about the shuttle - while it's convenient and the metro is easy for getting to/from DC, you do have to be on time for drop offs to the metro, and when the hotel is full, the shuttles get very busy. Another shuttle during peak times might be a good idea for the Best Western.

The breakfast is convenient, and it's nice to have the fridge and microwave in the rooms. Although as others have pointed out, there is not much within walking distance so while you're out exploring DC, pick up any snacks/drinks you want in your room and bring them back!

Top scores go to the friendly staff and the free wifi!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words. We never get tired of hearing how much our guests enjoy their stays with us. We really are a hidden jewel. I will pass your kind words to our staff. We couldn’t be prouder of our team… and intern, they of our hotel. We hope you will share your experience with your friends and we hope to see you again soon at the Best Western Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites soon.

Warren, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel was recommended by a friend and my husband and I were very pleased with our experience. We were on vacation visiting DC and stayed a total of 7 nights. The rooms were spacious, very clean, nicely decorated, and the staff friendly and helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed the free full breakfast every morning and having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Rode the metro every day into DC and took advantage of the hotel's shuttle to and from the metro station. The shuttle drivers were very pleasant, knowledgeable about the area, and very accommodating. A couple of negatives: There are no restaurants within walking distance. There is only one shuttle and during peak times the van fills up quickly. Perhaps the hotel should consider adding another van or increasing the frequency of trips during peak times.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We see a lot of our guests come stay with us because friends suggested our hotel – we really are a hidden jewel. I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our shuttle to the metro and the numerous dining options just minutes away from our hotel. Funny you should mention about getting another shuttle. That is such a popular amenity of ours, another shuttle is on order.

Also, I’m glad you enjoyed our full American breakfast buffet. Not only is it a GREAT way to start the day, it’s free and we have become well known for our abundant hot breakfast buffet.

We look forward to seeing you (and the friends you tell about us) soon.

Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed here in August and had an absolutely excellent stay. The breakfast was good, abundant food and the staff very attentive. Maybe the only complaint would be that there is no where within walking distance such as restaurants or bars. However, the shuttle bus was very reliable, even if I required a lift out with the scheduled departure, reception would arrange a lift to where ever I wanted to go in Rockville. Great hotel to stay in if purpose of stay is to explore D.C, especially if your on a budget- the metro only takes half an hour from rockville into the city.
Fridge in room was handy, plus a microwave. Lots of local takeaway menus available from reception if you don't wish to venture out. Rooms were lovely, big and spacious. Beds very, very comfortable. Air conditioning was noisy, needed earplugs. Nonetheless, this is an issue in most hotels, so not a real criticism for Best Western. Pool was good too.
Staff are fabulous, especially the older gentleman who drove the shuttle bus. Have not met such a lovely man- please tell him the scottish girl says hi, and he has to practice his scottish accent for the next time i come over ;)
Thank you, I shall be back next year and will 100% use your hotel again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We never get tired of hearing great feed about our hotel and staff. We really are a hidden jewel. I will pass on your feedback to our shuttle driver, Ron B. – guests really love him. I’m glad you were able to take advantage our shuttle service. It puts literally hundreds of restaurants just steps away. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Washington, DC / Rockville area.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed here over the September 11 weekend and found the hotel to be magnificently classy in appearance. Beautiful! Not just that but I also found the employees to be absolutely wonderful people. The shuttle drivers were especially entertaining. Everything about it was perfect...well almost everything.

There were two critical problems. 1) The room smelt extremely musty, almost moldy & 2) there were bed bugs everywhere. Within 3 days, I had acquired no less than 30 bites all over my body and was itching like a madman! I wasn’t sure initially what had bitten me overnight as the concept of a bed-bug had been foreign to me (I’m South African) but having read some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor, I have no doubts about it anymore. Had I known this I would have requested another room. Nevertheless the owners should not have been letting out a room in such a terrible state in the first place -- not to me nor to anyone else. The bites took no less than 10 days to heal and the scars are still visible. Definitely not a good experience.

BTW Two of my other friends also stayed here that same weekend and they had a flawless experience. Guess it all comes down to the room they assign you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m glad to hear you found our hotels to be “magnificently classy in appearance. Beautiful!” As a PLUS hotel, one of Best Western’s new descriptors, we really do go the extra mile. We will also share your comments about our staff being absolutely wonderful people with our personnel. We do have a great team here who really care about take care of our guests.

I’m sorry to hear you had bites while in the Washington, DC area. We do take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously. While you didn’t mention actually seeing any bugs in your room, please feel free to forward any details you have to me by email via Trip Advisor. This is the season for sting bugs, harmless bugs that tend to sometimes come out around the change of season. If you did see any bugs, it might have been those.

Again, thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Hotel and rooms are in fair condition, breakfast is not bad, but if you are looking for pampering go elsewhere.

Room Tip: There is a side facing I-270, try to avoid it. I would also try to avoid a room in the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us. I’m sorry you were only somewhat satisfied, as we take pride in our hotel and the services we provide. As a matter of fact, on Trip Advisor we are rated #1 in our location. Please feel free to email me via Trip Advisor so we can learn more about what we could have done better to improve your stay.

Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for one night, glad it was just that. Hotel is right off of 270, which was a plus, but that was about it. Older property, non-smoking, but there was clearly someone smoking in an adjacent room whose vent must have been shared with our bathroom. terrible nasty cigarette smoke smell all nigtht. Breakfast was terrible, was also free, so I wasn't expecting much.

• Stayed September 2011
CWHotels, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We take our feedback seriously. As a matter of fact, we are now a smoke free hotel because our guests asked for that enhancement. We have zero tolerance for those how smoke in our hotel when we are clearly a smoke free facility. I hope you will give us another chance to show you the kind of service our many regular guests have come to know and love. I’m surprised to hear you did not enjoy our free hot full American breakfast buffet. We get many accolades about it, as you can see from other posts here. Please feel free to contact me via email from this site to discuss your concerns in detail. We look forward to having you back as our guest and give you the kind of service Best Western Plus is quickly becoming known for.

Director of Sales

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!