“Good business class hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
“Good business class hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stay here several times a year. The hotel is clean and generally quiet. Rooms are comfortable and they're finally providing free in room wifi. Staff is always friendly. Very central location and close to public transportation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Kathy S,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Sheraton Rockville. We are a compact Sheraton Hotel in the heart of Upper Montgomery County and we are convenient to highways, connecting you to Gaithersburg, Rockville, Bethesda and the great Washington, DC Metro area. Public transporation is an easy connection with our complimentary shuttle to the local METRO (subway) station.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Recently stayed one night which was a very good experience. The hotel appears to be new, very clean and comfortable. King room was large and well equipped, bed was very comfortable. Free coffee/tea availabile in the lobby in the morning. Fitness center was well equiped for both cardio, weights and floor work.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear HJFHJS,

Thank you for staying with us recently at Sheraton Rockville. I am glad to see that you found the hotels 2014 renovations in our rooms and public space to your likiing. Please come again and enjoy the many things to do in Rockville and the great Washington, DC area.

Safe Travels!
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

CONS: Skeleton staff for hotel of this size. Poor housekeeping. Poor knowledge of Starwood policy and promotions. Not terribly professional staff. Club level unimpressive.

PROS: Modern, luxurious decor. Room size. Bedding. Bathroom. Location.

FRONT DESK and MANAGEMENT: BAD

A few weeks before the my stay I found a better rate and submitted it for approval through Starwood’s Best Rate Guarantee. I had originally booked a prepaid rate, and Starwood really didn’t make it clear how the difference between the original rate, and the lower adjusted rate would be settled. They just told me that it would be adjusted at the individual hotel level at the end of my stay. Obviously, this made me uneasy from the get-go.

Upon check in, and for the first 48 hours of my stay I had to ask the front desk clerk for clarification on how they would handle refunding the difference due to me from the Best Rate Guarantee. Each time I visited or called the front desk, the same desk clerk was the only one working. Although nice, he seemed clueless and not in a position of authority. He referred me to email some employee that he said handled their accounting and would know. I emailed said person twice over the first two days, but never heard back from him. I also waited 45 minutes one day for someone that was supposed to help me, and they never showed up to work on time. No one would email, call, text, or leave a message on my room voicemail. Finally got clarification late night, second evening of stay. Luckily I did receive a refund on my final bill and credit card a few days after checkout.

CLEANLINESS and HOUSEKEEPING: BAD

After the first night, we departed the room at around 11:30am. We returned to the hotel around 10pm to find that housekeeping hadn’t touched our room. I called the front desk and they apologized, but said no housekeeping staff was on duty at that time. Seems kind of strange that there’s no housekeeping staff at all available overnight at a hotel this size. The hotel offered to move us to another room, which was an inconvenience after we’d been out and about in the city all day. I did demand to be upgraded to the club level (5th floor) and was appeased.

Unfortunately, the following morning I entered the bathroom to find a dead roach, belly up on the bathroom floor. I quickly picked it up with a piece of toilet paper and flushed it. I didn’t even want to alert my partner, as I knew he would react much worse than I. Finding roaches in a hotel is unacceptable. However, which my other issues on this stay I just didn’t have the energy to bring it to the hotel’s attention. Frankly I didn’t know what they could do anyhow as we’d already moved rooms once and been upgraded.

I housekeeping on the second night also left no ice bucket liner, and I had to call the front desk again around 10pm to ask someone to bring one up.

STYLE and COMFORT: GOOD

The decor of this Sheraton is a big plus, and well represents the brand and fits in perfectly with Starwood Hotels overall. It mixes modern and some colonial elements. The textured greyish-brown carpeting in the rooms and wall coverings feel rich and upscale. The petite french doors entering the bathroom are a unique touch, and the bathroom tiling and marble make it feel like you’re staying in an upscale hotel. I love the full sized shower too. I wish more hotels would go in the direction of having just a full sized shower, versus having the standard bathtub/shower combo. I’ve stayed with people in the Rockville/Potomac area, and the decor of the hotel reflects the community feel overall.

TV size, good. Bedding good and luxuries. Room pretty quiet, overlooking parking side (not highway). In room coffee and tea good. Furniture good and room ample size. HVAC good. Lots of lighting, and lamps are nicely modern styled with lacquered white and chrome. In-room fridge standard would be nice. WiFi worked seamlessly.

POOL and EXERCISE: OKAY

Workout room good, but we didn’t use it. Pool was small, but looked nice. However, it had bizarre hours -- like 6am-10am, then closed until 6pm-10pm. And it was locked up all other times. I really can’t see the point, other than to deter guest from using it much.

LOCATION: GOOD

I felt the location was good. It’s right off the Shady Grove exit, in sits on the perimeter of the King Farm planned community. Parking was free, ample, and well lit. You can walk to the Shady Grove Metro, which we did several times. The community feel safe and quiet, and has nice tree lined streets and even a few nature areas. The walk takes about 20-30 minutes depending on your pace, and is a straight shot down King Farm Boulevard. On the walk you can conveniently find a number of restaurants, both sit-down and fast-casual, as well as a Safeway that’s open from 5am-Midnight, and a wine and beer depot. There’s also a shuttle around King Farm, but we didn’t use it because we just prefer walking.

CLUB LEVEL: NOT-SO-GREAT

The Club Level’s lounge offerings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to food, drink, and cleanliness. We stayed at a Best Western just prior to our stay at this Sheraton, and the Best Western by far had better selection and quality when it came to breakfast. Powder-based eggs and link sausage, grocery aisle quality sliced breads, and some Sam’s Club origin pastries were available. Pretty generic. And I’m assuming the Sheraton brand aims to position itself above the Best Western chain…? The only aspect that seemed vaguely upscale were the Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas. The espresso machine appeared to be just there for show, as it was not turned on, there were no directions for use, the milk reservoir was empty, and packets of hot chocolate mix were stacked on top.

The man who is in charge of the Club Level food and refreshments is meanwhile sitting on the countertop in a side room off the lounge, door propped open, having a relaxed personal conversation on a cordless phone. I supposed that’d be fine, albeit unprofessional, if the lounge’s cabinets, food equipment, floor coverings, and countertops weren’t covered in crumbs, grease, splatters, and grime. Seems like there’s a lot of work that could be done instead of having a relaxed personal conversation on the phone.

No ice machine on Club Level floor -- have to travel via elevator to 4th floor to get ice, and rescan card to get back to 5th floor.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Lucky Bunni,

Thank you for taking time to share your positive and negative impressions of the hotel and staff from your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you had billing issues and a pest in your room. Your concerns with your Club level experience have been addressed with the staff and management for food and beverage so that they can review the presentation, cleanliness and lapse in professionalism that caused you concern.

Again, thank you for addressing your concerns while also sharing your positive observations.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The rooms are nice and the beds are super comfortable, but it seems like they are trying to operate like a small hotel (one person at the front desk) when they are a major hotel with over 150 rooms. The staff are nice, but understaffed and seem stretched too thin. The gym is usually in disarray. Today when I was there, someone came in to replenish towels, but left empty cups and water bottles laying around, The restaurant was surprisingly good. Shuttle is nice to have, but often there's not a driver.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerRCKVIL, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear familytravelsfun,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the staffing levels across the hotel seemed to be below your expectations. We do work to balance the staffing with how many guests we have in the hotel. Occassionally, we miss the mark and find a staffing concern that affects our guests. I do apologize that you did not have the speed and efficency of service you expected during your stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was in town for a business meeting. Clean hotel and friendly staff. Rooms were amazing. Very nicely designed. Breakfast was provided which was unexpected, might have been for the meeting I was attending. Overall a great stay. Sheraton is definitely a go to hotel chain.

Room Tip: stayed on the second floor, great room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerRCKVIL, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Mrkicks,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Sheraton Rockville following your recent stay with us. The staff works hard to take care of our guest needs throughout their stay so that you can relax and enjoy. Please come visit us again in the near future.

Safe Travels.
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

As a business traveler I appreciate hotels that strive to meet the needs of the business traveler as the Sheraton Rockville Hotel does. From check-in to check-out I have always had a good experience here and whenever I'm in the Rockville & D.C. area I try to stay here. Sara at the front desk greeted me with a smile and great attitude and graciously accomodated my requests for example, I needed a frige in my room because I had some perishables and she quickly took care of it and also granted me an upgrade based on my SPG loyalty and preferred guest status. This is what customer service is all about and I am always treated as a valued customer here. I look forward to future stays at the Sheraton Rockville Hotel! I think it is a clean and well maintained SPG property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerRCKVIL, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Appricena,

Thank you for your recent stay and recognition of Sara's focus on delivering exceptional service to our guests. Sara is an intragral part of our team and helps to guide our newer team members with her focus on making sure her guests are happy from arrival through departure.

Thank you again for staying. We hope to see you again very soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Hotel building and rooms are nice, but countless problems. Printer at public computers broken. Phone in room broken. Asked for wake up call, still waiting for it 3 days later. Internet does not work in guest rooms nor does it in the lobby. Staff told me it was my computer, as I listened to them answer a call from another guest calling from their room saying it didn't work and that they were the only one to have a connection problem! Sadly, these problems have existed there for years. Have stayed there only because it is the only hotel in the area. Better off to stay further and drive to your meeting.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
Dear DrDanSAVE,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback on the troubles you experienced with the internet connection and wake up call. I am sorry that you experienced these lapses in service. I will have the engineering team check the phone in the room to ensure it is back in working order as well as contact the internet service provider to see what might be the cause of the service issues you experienced. I'm happy to say that the outage of the lobby printer was brief as we waited on a repair part to arrive. I personally assisted serveral guests during the day with printing needs at the front desk to ensure they were able to get the informaiton and documents they needed.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Been to Sheraton Rockville Hotel? Share your experiences!