“Isolated but very good value” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Seattle, Washington
“Isolated but very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Especially if you can get the rate I got ($64 AAA rate), this place is worth considering. The hotel is located in a new development just off of I-270 in Montgomery County. There's not much in the immediate area, but you're not far from shopping, dining, etc. Without traffic I drove from National Airport in about 25 minutes. In rush hour, plan on at least twice that amount of time. I noticed a hotel shuttle out front, but I'm not sure where it goes- perhaps to the Shady Grove Metro Station? The hotel seems fairly new. What I liked: free parking, free morning coffee in the lobby, a nicely equipped gym (next to a pool and jacuzzi room). What I didn't like: walls are thin and hearing next-dorr conversations (or other "activity" is easy), tv/cable system was on the fritz whereby with some channels you could hear only some of the sound. The club lounge was really inadequate- it's basically an unattended sitting area immediately in front of the elevator on the fifth floor (key card access to the floor). In the morning there was coffee, yogurt, three types of cereal, a bowl of mixed fruit (always questionable, in my opinion) and some unattractive bread offerings with a toaster. When I went there midday, I found a few cans of Coke products bobbling in a silver bowl of ice water and nothing else. Not sure what even "presentations" offered. The hotel staff was friendly and professional. The thin walls were my biggest issue, but for the price, I went in with more modest expectations anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello to you in Seattle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay. We do have a shuttle that goes to the Metro station and a 3 mile radius of the hotel.

I really appreciate your feedback regarding our offerings and we have acted on your comments and made some changes to presentation and quality products. I hope you will return to the area and experience the delightful changes.

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

After giving birth to our daughter nearby, I was discharged but our daughter remained in the NICU. We wanted to be close to the hospital so we stayed several nights. We didn't get to enjoy the hotel much, thanks to the circumstances, but during our stay we relied on the staff a lot for assistance. Our room was very nice and we preferred a room with the shower only. The bed was fantastic, which is usually the case at a Starwood resort or hotel. We give it 4 out of 5 stars for some general housekeeping/general issues...fresh batteries for remote, accurate room clock, not fully replenishing towels, small closet hanging space, inadequate plugs in the right places. Our compliments go to the staff and manager who were very helpful to us during a very anxious time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Good day to you in Arlington, VA,

Congrats from our family to yours. We are delighted we could accomodate your stay and make this stay a stress free stay. I totally understand the anxiety. We hope to see you soon. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 5 nights and I would give it a solid 3 out of 5. The location is great. Right off of the highway and less than a 10 minute drive to the metro. It's located in King Farm, which is a self-contained housing development so there are restaurants and stores within walking distance. The location is definitely one of the best things about the property.

We got a great rate on Hotwire and I'm glad we didn't pay more. We were surprised at how spacious our King room was. The bed was comfortable and there was a large wall-length desk at the window. They also squeezed in a leather chair with a rolling wooden cube, if you'd rather look at the tv. The bathroom was average with a standing shower stall. The water was very hot so no complaints there. My biggest issue with the room itself was the lack of storage. There was no dresser or any type of drawer. This was tough for us because we were there for almost a week and my bf had to live out of his suitcase. The hanging space was small as well because instead of a closet, the room had an armoire that only had one full length side. We had a formal event to attend later during our trip and hanging our clothing was tight. There also was little room for our jackets (since we were in DC in January). With such a large room, I would expect the Sheraton to think through more multi-functional furniture, especially since this hotel is definitely geared toward the business traveler or a family. The walls were also a bit thin. During our stay, we could hear our neighbors conversations (and baby crying). Again, just expected better from Sheraton.

Housekeeping was fair. After our first night, it was obvious that housekeeping simply made the bed and left fresh towels. Our trash was not emptied, the paper cups that are left with the in room coffeemaker were not replaced nor was the coffee replenished.

Outside of the room, it seemed the staff was only there to check you in and out. Never were we acknowledged when we left or returned to the hotel. I even attempted to make eye contact with a front desk staff person and she just glared at me. When I asked two questions on two separate occasions, both front desk staff members practically rolled their eyes at me and did not hesitate to simply tell me no. No options or alternatives were offered, just no.

My bf ended up having to work during our stay, but the internet service was intermittent in our room so he ended up spending a day and a half sitting in a very small business area that was only separated from the front desk by a half wall, plugged directly into the wall. Not once did any staff member acknowledge him. He sat there for hours one day and had no interaction with the staff.

The gym is small, but useful. Good, clean equipment.

My overall thoughts of this hotel is that it's not bad, but it's not great, either. The location is wonderful, the room spacious and very clean, but the customer service was not good. We would only stay there again if we got another great rate from Hotwire because then I'm not really concerned about the staff's attitude. Just there to sleep and be comfortable in my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floors 3-5 and at one end of the other. Otherwise, your view with be blocked by th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. As we strive to learn from the valuable feedback our guests provide. I would like to know if you could possibly give me a call to provide more information regarding your opinion of the front desk team members?

I am hoping you will return and give us the opportunity to increase your satisfaction with the Sheraton Rockville.

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I used Hotwire to get a great rate on this hotel for a one-night stay to attend a funeral in the area. Several other friends and family did the same and we all thought the hotel was great. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. They gave you the impression that they were generally happy to have you as a guest. The room was very clean with a nice bathroom with a large shower (if you need a tub, you should request one). Nice bedding and very clean. The only negative about the room was that it was impossible to close the door without slamming it so you could hear a bit of noise like that from the hallway. The fitness center was better than many with nice cardio machines, yoga mats, free weights and nautilus. I did not use the pool. There are two computers for guest use which I appreciated. Mostly, I liked that the bar and restaurant was open to the lobby so that I could order a glass of wine and relax by the fire at night without having to hang out at the bar by myself. A Safeway nearby was great for snacks and for forgotten toiletries. Would definitely stay again.
Note: I gave it five stars as compared to other 3 to 4 star hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello from the Sheraton Rockville,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I am the General Manager and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. If you could give me a call, regarding your thoughts regarding the front desk, I would really like to make this a learning experience for our team. As we strive to be 1# in Rockivlle.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you are a business traveler or weekend warrior looking to save money and still be within metro distance to Washington DC then this is the place for you. The hotel is clean, well appointed, and offers free wi-fi. Parking is also free and there is a coffee maker in the room. The best part about the room was the bed, it has soft fluffy pillows and a cozy duvet. The only thing missing is complimentary breakfast and an iPhone dock otherwise it would have gotten five stars.

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels if you are traveling with someone.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here one week night about a month ago. I paid $80 including tax which I thought was very reasonable. Had to be in Rockville for a seminar on a Friday. Got to the hotel early on Thursday because I drove down from NJ and wanted to avoid the DC traffic. Checked in at 3PM with no issues. Used the fitness center, which was nice and clean. They have a small bar which looked nice too.

Since it was early, I took a walk to a supermarket one half mile away. It is straight up the street and is in the middle of a really nice shopping village. There was a Subway and some restaurants along the way. You could kill 3-4 hours there if you needed to.

Also, there is a new road from 95 to Rockville. Forget the name but it goes directly from 95 to Rockville. Left my seminar in Rockville at 230 and was able to get on 95 in about 20 minutes and beat the traffic out of DC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the low cost of the room and the very quick check-in. Everything about my stay was great, up until I needed a little customer service.
The day I checked out I realized I had left my watch in the room. I knew exactly where it was, so I thought it would be a simple retrieval. I called and asked them to look where I knew the watch was. After my promised return phone call wasn't made, I phoned again and spoke to the same person who seemed to have forgotten about my initial request. After I reminded him, he told me that nothing was found in lost & found and housekeeping wasn't there anymore so there was nothing he could do and he couldn't look in the room (even though I had asked him to look in the exact location when I called previously). The following day I went to the hotel to look myself. The front desk staff was equally as inept as the man on the phone from the previous day. It took a lengthy conversation for me to convince them to escort me to the since-unused room to get my watch. Low & behold, it was exactly where I said it was!
None of the staff seemed to understand why I was so frustrated by them turning a simple request into a big ordeal. They all need some customer service training.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Let me introduce myself, I am Stacy Smith the General Manager. I want to sincerely apologize for the lack of service receieved. This is not anything I tolerate. As you can see other comments this is not the normal level of service either. Since this is the first time I am aware of this issue, I would love the opportunity to speak with you and find out more information to ensure no other customer will experience this. If you could please call the hotel at anytime 240.912-8200 and ask for me. I would like the opportunity to also see how, I can repair your distaste for the Sheraton Rockville.

Best wishes for the Holiday season and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Stacy Smith

Been to Sheraton Rockville Hotel? Share your experiences!