“Ok Stay!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Ok Stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 5 nights and I would give it a solid 3 out of 5. The location is great. Right off of the highway and less than a 10 minute drive to the metro. It's located in King Farm, which is a self-contained housing development so there are restaurants and stores within walking distance. The location is definitely one of the best things about the property.

We got a great rate on Hotwire and I'm glad we didn't pay more. We were surprised at how spacious our King room was. The bed was comfortable and there was a large wall-length desk at the window. They also squeezed in a leather chair with a rolling wooden cube, if you'd rather look at the tv. The bathroom was average with a standing shower stall. The water was very hot so no complaints there. My biggest issue with the room itself was the lack of storage. There was no dresser or any type of drawer. This was tough for us because we were there for almost a week and my bf had to live out of his suitcase. The hanging space was small as well because instead of a closet, the room had an armoire that only had one full length side. We had a formal event to attend later during our trip and hanging our clothing was tight. There also was little room for our jackets (since we were in DC in January). With such a large room, I would expect the Sheraton to think through more multi-functional furniture, especially since this hotel is definitely geared toward the business traveler or a family. The walls were also a bit thin. During our stay, we could hear our neighbors conversations (and baby crying). Again, just expected better from Sheraton.

Housekeeping was fair. After our first night, it was obvious that housekeeping simply made the bed and left fresh towels. Our trash was not emptied, the paper cups that are left with the in room coffeemaker were not replaced nor was the coffee replenished.

Outside of the room, it seemed the staff was only there to check you in and out. Never were we acknowledged when we left or returned to the hotel. I even attempted to make eye contact with a front desk staff person and she just glared at me. When I asked two questions on two separate occasions, both front desk staff members practically rolled their eyes at me and did not hesitate to simply tell me no. No options or alternatives were offered, just no.

My bf ended up having to work during our stay, but the internet service was intermittent in our room so he ended up spending a day and a half sitting in a very small business area that was only separated from the front desk by a half wall, plugged directly into the wall. Not once did any staff member acknowledge him. He sat there for hours one day and had no interaction with the staff.

The gym is small, but useful. Good, clean equipment.

My overall thoughts of this hotel is that it's not bad, but it's not great, either. The location is wonderful, the room spacious and very clean, but the customer service was not good. We would only stay there again if we got another great rate from Hotwire because then I'm not really concerned about the staff's attitude. Just there to sleep and be comfortable in my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floors 3-5 and at one end of the other. Otherwise, your view with be blocked by th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. As we strive to learn from the valuable feedback our guests provide. I would like to know if you could possibly give me a call to provide more information regarding your opinion of the front desk team members?

I am hoping you will return and give us the opportunity to increase your satisfaction with the Sheraton Rockville.

Stacy Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I used Hotwire to get a great rate on this hotel for a one-night stay to attend a funeral in the area. Several other friends and family did the same and we all thought the hotel was great. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. They gave you the impression that they were generally happy to have you as a guest. The room was very clean with a nice bathroom with a large shower (if you need a tub, you should request one). Nice bedding and very clean. The only negative about the room was that it was impossible to close the door without slamming it so you could hear a bit of noise like that from the hallway. The fitness center was better than many with nice cardio machines, yoga mats, free weights and nautilus. I did not use the pool. There are two computers for guest use which I appreciated. Mostly, I liked that the bar and restaurant was open to the lobby so that I could order a glass of wine and relax by the fire at night without having to hang out at the bar by myself. A Safeway nearby was great for snacks and for forgotten toiletries. Would definitely stay again.
Note: I gave it five stars as compared to other 3 to 4 star hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello from the Sheraton Rockville,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I am the General Manager and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. If you could give me a call, regarding your thoughts regarding the front desk, I would really like to make this a learning experience for our team. As we strive to be 1# in Rockivlle.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you are a business traveler or weekend warrior looking to save money and still be within metro distance to Washington DC then this is the place for you. The hotel is clean, well appointed, and offers free wi-fi. Parking is also free and there is a coffee maker in the room. The best part about the room was the bed, it has soft fluffy pillows and a cozy duvet. The only thing missing is complimentary breakfast and an iPhone dock otherwise it would have gotten five stars.

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels if you are traveling with someone.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here one week night about a month ago. I paid $80 including tax which I thought was very reasonable. Had to be in Rockville for a seminar on a Friday. Got to the hotel early on Thursday because I drove down from NJ and wanted to avoid the DC traffic. Checked in at 3PM with no issues. Used the fitness center, which was nice and clean. They have a small bar which looked nice too.

Since it was early, I took a walk to a supermarket one half mile away. It is straight up the street and is in the middle of a really nice shopping village. There was a Subway and some restaurants along the way. You could kill 3-4 hours there if you needed to.

Also, there is a new road from 95 to Rockville. Forget the name but it goes directly from 95 to Rockville. Left my seminar in Rockville at 230 and was able to get on 95 in about 20 minutes and beat the traffic out of DC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the low cost of the room and the very quick check-in. Everything about my stay was great, up until I needed a little customer service.
The day I checked out I realized I had left my watch in the room. I knew exactly where it was, so I thought it would be a simple retrieval. I called and asked them to look where I knew the watch was. After my promised return phone call wasn't made, I phoned again and spoke to the same person who seemed to have forgotten about my initial request. After I reminded him, he told me that nothing was found in lost & found and housekeeping wasn't there anymore so there was nothing he could do and he couldn't look in the room (even though I had asked him to look in the exact location when I called previously). The following day I went to the hotel to look myself. The front desk staff was equally as inept as the man on the phone from the previous day. It took a lengthy conversation for me to convince them to escort me to the since-unused room to get my watch. Low & behold, it was exactly where I said it was!
None of the staff seemed to understand why I was so frustrated by them turning a simple request into a big ordeal. They all need some customer service training.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelRockville, General Manager at Sheraton Rockville Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Let me introduce myself, I am Stacy Smith the General Manager. I want to sincerely apologize for the lack of service receieved. This is not anything I tolerate. As you can see other comments this is not the normal level of service either. Since this is the first time I am aware of this issue, I would love the opportunity to speak with you and find out more information to ensure no other customer will experience this. If you could please call the hotel at anytime 240.912-8200 and ask for me. I would like the opportunity to also see how, I can repair your distaste for the Sheraton Rockville.

Best wishes for the Holiday season and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I wished to attend an event at the Strathmore music hall in North Bethesda. I ended up choosing the Sheraton Rockville for my stay, and this was a good choice for me; it was about a 20-minute drive from hotel to hall.

Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. Check-in and check-out were both quick. The room was clean, comfortable, and had a good layout, especially for the desk. There was also free internet in the rooms (both wired and wireless) and in the lobby (wireless); it worked well. The bathroom was reasonably spacious and well-lit and one of the newer-style stall showers. The shower controls worked well and there seemed to be plenty of hot water. There was also a coffeemaker, coffee, and tea in the room. (No creamer, though.)

I was there over a weekend, and the surrounding area was pretty quiet; the hotel was surrounded by office buildings and high-rise residential condos. While I did not try the hotel restaurant, there is a good Thai restaurant (Thai Farm) a sort walk away. Slightly further away (either a moderate walk or a short drive) is strip mall with a Safeway grocery store, some chain restaurants and pubs, a coffee shop, and some specialty stores.

While I cannot call the hotel a "destination visit," I would recommend it highly to persons traveling to Rockville and nearby areas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and your visit to Strathmore. We hope to see you again. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Happy Holidays.

Cascade, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had almost given up on the idea of staying overnight in the Rockville, MD area. Reviews of hotels there are almost universally negative and I was discouraged. Then, on a whim, I broadened my distance criteria and up popped the Sheraton Rockville. The reviews of this property are almost universally positive! It is located about 8 miles north of Rockville proper, and is very easy to reach from Route #270.

I checked in on December 14th for one night for a business appointment in the area. I was able to obtain an early check-in as requested. I chose the Club Floor, which has a lounge reserved for that floor and an elevator that requires a 5th floor room key to access the floor, a very secure feeling.

My room was very attractive, with great attention paid to small details, such as hardware and amenities, including Starbucks coffee and a good coffee maker. Although my room overlooked a major highway it was absolutely quiet and no hallway sounds could be detected. The heating and air conditioning were both operational and accurate. And that bed! It was large, tall and the most welcoming, comforting and comfortable bed I have found in any hotel. I climbed into it with pleasure out of it with regret! I had requested and received down pillows, which added to the sense of luxury.

I visited the lounge for the free continental breakfast the following morning, which was quite adequate. Especially welcome was the good orange juice and more of that Starbucks!

I had only two small quibbles - things that can happen anywhere: At check-in one if the terminals refused to register me, causing some delay and minor confusion - the other terminal had no problems. Also, my first set of key cards was faulty, causing more serious issues and almost causing me to be late for my appointment. I was given a new set which worked perfectly (and made the appointment on time).

There is a restaurant on the property, and room service is also offered. I did not try either.

The staff throughout the hotel, at all levels, was without exception polite, pleasant and helpful, adding immeasurably to my pleasure.

As always, when traveling, I am very mindful of the security and safety issues in any hotel. In the Sheraton Rockville I felt absolutely safe and secure, which for a woman traveling solo is of primary importance.

I can, without hesitation, recommend the Sheraton Rockville to anyone traveling in the area.

Room Tip: The Club floor - the 5th floor - is very secure, quiet and comfortable and offers free WiFi and a co...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for considering the Sheraton Rockville. We are delighted we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again.

Happy Holidays,

Stacy Smith

Been to Sheraton Rockville Hotel? Share your experiences!