“Authentic Japanese cafe with outstanding food & excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Temari Japanese Cafe

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Wash DC
“Authentic Japanese cafe with outstanding food & excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife is Japanese and I'm retired Navy officer who has spent many years in Japan and Southeast Asia. Since we discovered Temari years ago, my wife and I have been going there almost every weekend. We've gotten to know the restaurant's oji-san and on-site family & staff. They are very pleasant and courteous. The sushi is very fresh and always generously cut. The tonkatsu is delicious as is the miso ramen (my favorite) and the salmon dinner. Their green salad/dressing & potato salad are very tasty. You have to wait to be seated, which the staff enforces, and sometimes it can take a little while (we usually sit at the counter), but we appreciate that it's first come first served. Although some ignorant people occasionally try to walk in and sit down. It can get busy, but the staff keeps up well and is always respectful. Sushi orders are a bit expensive, but it's good quality, vinegared rice and you get a good cut. The rest of the meals are reasonably priced. If you're interested in good quality Japanese food in a pleasant, cozy setting, I recommend you give Temari a try.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011 via mobile

Except for the Ramen , I guess everything is worth the trip to this tiny restaurant. Sushi, sashimi melt on your mouth. Saba shioyaki - heaven. Go, go, go

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
washington d.c.
“Pricey, can't ask for anything, but food's decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I go there occassionally because it is probably the only authentic Japanese restaurants in the D.C. area. They have very fresh sashimi, and make a killer Tonkasu. The waitress/owner is nice, refills drinks when it's empty, clears table when you're done, but has an attitude problem when you ask her for anything extra, like if you wanted extra raddish to go with your sashimi. It's probably just the way of the Japanese people. They also have a problem seating people if your entire party has not arrived. Maybe because the place is small and they've had seating problems. Overall, the food is great...pricey. Lunch will average $15. A bowl of ramen noodles is $10, but it's good food. Like I said, I go there occassionally and that's good enough.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“food ok, service atrocious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

We have been going to Temari for over a year and the last two times, the experience was unpleasant, and we will not be going again. Today, we brought my mother, who is barely able to walk, and although there were empty clean tables, the waitress refused to let us sit down. When I started to go over to the table to sit down and call my mother to sit down, I was very rudely and sternly ordered to go back to the front. One of the other customers was so embarrassed for us that she complained in Japanese, but we still weren't seated, and my mother had to be forced to stand at the front for a period of time. The time before that we had the same waitress who was rude and stressed out at that time also. Food is ok, but not worth the unpleasant experience for us anymore.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A little Japanese joint...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

A little Japanese joint that serves regular Japanese dish. One of the better Japanese restaurants in the area.