“Super veg restaurant.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
washington, dc
“Super veg restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have eaten here many times. Staff is friendly, helpful, efficient.
Food is great. I have taken many non-vegetarians here who cannot believe that vegan food can be so good!
Sizzling Rice Soup is one of my all-time favorite dishes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington
“OK Food but zero on atmosphere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We used to eat at The Vegetable Garden in Rockville where you were greeted at the door and shown to your table. Each item on the menu had a picture and description. Unfortunately that restaurant closd.
When we entered Yuan Fu we got a shout from the kitchen "how many?" and when we said "2" someone shouted where we were to sit. Plastic colored tablecloths completed the greeting.
Foodwise? We ordered seaweed and tofu soup for 2 and expected a large bowl where we would serve ourselves. All we got were 2 bowls of soup that were tasteless. My beef and snowpeas had a spongy appearance and texure and taste. My husband's Kung Pao beef was actually good.
We had no desire to linger any longer and left after our main course.
Not a restaurant we are likely to return to.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Rare Taiwanese Vegetarian Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Background on myself: I am fluent in Chinese, am married to a Taiwanese lady, and have visited the country a few times. I pride myself in knowing what authentic Taiwanese and Chinese food should taste like. In addition, I am a vegetarian.

I have been coming to this restaurant for many years. I love it. While there are many restaurants like it within walking distance--in Taipei, mind you--there simply aren't many in this area. (In fact, this is the only one I know of within a hundred mile radius.)

I think the comments about the "rude staff" are probably due to a misunderstanding of culture. This is a typical home-style restaurant. I've never been treated other than like a family member. That, plus the service is quick and the food is always hot.

You will love the food here, and if you are a vegetarian in the area, and haven't gone, you really should do yourself a favor and GO!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Missing Professionalism”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

After reading the great reviews online I was excited to try this vegetarian restaurant with co-workers. The food was very good however it was overshaddowed by the rude staff. I can not speak for the entire staff there but two of the women who served and waited on us had attitudes. They were also in a rush and yelled at us. Coming from a service background I understand the lunch time rush may be hectic and could potentially affect the moods of the staff in an effort to keep up; However, during this time there was no line, the room was not loud and our group did not take an extended amount of time to order. There is no excuse for bad service.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good Solid Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Interesting concept to Restuarant with a vegetarian dishes named after meats. Is that really necessary? Had the lunch bar takeout which allowed great selection. Overall dishes were good. The simulated meats had interesting textures. Overall a good meal.