“My first time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #208 of 350 Restaurants in Rockville
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“My first time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Last night on a whim a friend and I decided to eat at Bar Louis at the Rockville Town Center. Our usual hang out in Rockville has been Gordon Bierch but this time we wanted to try something new. We were surprised to see a croud that more resembled a younger professionsal crowd 30's-40's like you would expect in Balston, although not quite as business sexy attired...but then again neither was I with the cold temps and snow. It deserves a second visit for sure. Everyone was enjoying the Caps game on TV and libations in the specious open ceiling and congrete floor setting. This is the venue for larger groups, to reconnect with olc classmates and colleagues, or meet new people.

The menu is certainly designed for a bar atmosphere and pleasingly had hummas and flatbread for a lower calorie option, and to my opinion the option was good. The bread was perfectly cooked and ample pieces we did not even finish, probably because we focused on the large and crisp cucumbers to smother with hummas and yogurt dip. Then I had the Chicken Gumbo and my friend had the steak salad. She liked the man-sized portion steak salad and almost finished it. The steak was unfortunately well-done rather than medium but flavorful. My Chicken Gumbo was thick like a pot pie without the crust, but the veggies and sausage were fresh and perfectly cooked, but the flavor was only alright. It tasted like mild gumbo, which is not a negative thing, but being a foodie it didnt have any burst of flavor or spice and I personally like my soup to be soup, not a stew. And I love the fireworks of New Orleans Gumbo which it didnt have. I would not get it again, but I am eager to return because they have my favorite Malbec and other options on the menu to explore. My daughter joined us and got thr Louis Burger medium rare. She was delighted that it was perfectly cooked which is difficult to perfect, and she loved the over easy egg on top which was also perfectly cooked. This was a large burger which you nearly have to unhinge your jaw to consume but she happily devoured every bite. After 10pm they had a live band! Yes fellow Rockvillians live entertainment in the winter in our own backyard. I look forward to my next visit and especially the setting of live music while looking out the window at the ice rink and loving the wonderful community I call home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rockville, Maryland
“You can pay more elsewhere, but you won't have a more pleasant evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a new addition to Rockville Town Square; two square blocks near Metro and the courthouses in a good neighborhood. There is an abundance of restaurants, but Bar Louie stands out. Parking is on the street (watch the time signs) and in 2 easy access garages. Your first 2 hours are on the house so remember to have your parking receipt validated. Don't park in the vacant lot by the firehouse; tow trucks lurk 24/7.

Six of us went to Bar Louie on a weekday evening. The October weather was beautiful so we took a table outside on the pedestrian-busy street. After 10pm during the week all the very upscale bar food except "large plates" are $5. That is a terrific deal, even when you have to wait 45 minutes to have it served. However, it was a busy night and the company and drinks were great so the time passed enjoyably. Drinks are $10, which is a little high for this area, but they are generous at 20 ounces. Soft drinks are $2.75. there is a wide selection of tap and craft beer (didn't note the price). Burgers were great, very large signature salads were also great, soft pretzels with 3 dips were fun, drinks were cold and delicious. Staff was friendly, checked on the table appropriately and was very professional. Not a single flaw with the entire evening.

Drink orders were taken and served very quickly by a friendly waitress. The food took a very long time to come out but when it did everything was hot and what was ordered. 2 additional servers helped so no one was kept waiting. That was appreciated.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Fun Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went here while on vacation we were told it had great food. It is more for the young crowd but we tried it anyways and were glad we did. The service was good and the food was great. We would recommend the Mario Sandwich. We arrived during happy hour which had great prices. We liked it so much we went back one more time before we left for home.

• Visited September 2012