“Great place to stuff your face with subpar sushi” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Potomac, Maryland
“Great place to stuff your face with subpar sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We just left this restaurant about 2 hours ago. What a disappointment based on the reviews. I've been dining in the area for 30yrs and was hoping that we had found something new and exciting, but not to be. While there was a wide selection of sushi on the buffet, it was comparable to what you can buy at most supermarkets these days (small portions of mediocre fish, cold rice that falls apart, etc) There is no comparing this sushi to Niwano Hana, Tako Grill, Kiro Sushi, or other long standing Rockville/Bethesda sushi restaurants. There is also a section of the buffet with Korean foods. This was equally so-so. Even the Kimchi, which I love, was blah. Nothing remarkable about anything we ate, and went back for seconds of nothing. That about sums it up.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

maryland
“WOW. If you like sushi, or any other Japanese food - GO!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

We did the evening buffet, only available Fri/Sat, and it was the most wonderful buffet we've seen in a very, very long time. There were nearly 3 dozen rolls and sushi types on the bar - enough to keep going back over and over, sampling new items! Plus, there's an extensive buffet with tempura and various salads - and soup and entrees that I didn't even have a chance to try.

Several people around us ordered from the menu - one group got a huge ship (yes, a ship!) full of sushi. Presentation and service was great - unobtrusive wait staff took care of us seamlessly. The atmosphere was quiet and casual, yet elegant - plenty of room to walk around, easy access to both parts of the buffet. I'd highly recommend trying the buffet if you go - especially at first, since the variety is SO worth it.

We will be going back. This might be my new favorite restaurant - and I wouldn't have known about it, except for Trip Advisor! High quality food and a great night out!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“$10 for a Sushi buffet might make you want to run...but run to HINODE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

I live an hour away from Rockville and will still drive there on a saturday afternoon to partake in the sushi buffet from noon til 3pm for $10! What a great deal, I have learned my lesson from trying other sushi buffets closer to me and I will stick with Hinode. They have at least 15 (probably more) sushi rolls and various nigri to choose from. The kids price is only $7.95! I am easy to please since I tend to stick with spicy tuna roll, california roll, sweet potato tempura and the avacado roll. Hinode has more great selections to appeal to any sushi palette. They also have a stack of tempura, odon noodles, rice and warm dishes to chose from. Unless I can find a sushi place like Hinode somewhere in Anne Arundel County, I will continue to drive an hour for it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We used our restaurant.com certificate here and saved $50. The food was excellent and the service very good. The sushi was fresh and tasty and the Udon Noodles were very good. The favorite of the night by 4 out of the 7 in our party was the Hinode Box. It was filled with all of our favorites: sushi, tempura, soup, salad, veggies, teriyaki of choice and rice. We would definitely go back to this restaurant for some great Japanese food. This was the favorite of our 3 dinners while in the Rockville area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's more of Korean than...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

It's more of Korean than Japanese.