“Very Nice Property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Norfolk, Virginia
“Very Nice Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Staff is very helpful. Nice fitness facility. Very nice hotel. GOld rewards member and I've been in a bunch of Marriotts.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Palo Alto, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Rockville (pardon me, "Bethesda North") Marriott is a relatively new and nice Marriott property. The lobby is sparkling clean and inviting. The Concierge Lounge is roomy and they offer a nice breakfast and evening snack spread - just say no the the $8/glass self serve cheap wine. The location is good only if you have business in the area - otherwise it's a long (and expensive) metro ride to DC. $15/night for parking is outrageous in the middle of suburbia, but they can get away with it since there's no street parking nearby.

While I appreciate a new, clean hotel, I will not be staying there again. For two stays in a row (first in October 2010 and then in January 2011), I arrived at the hotel late at night after flying in from the West Coast. In both cases, the hotel could not find my reservation when I tried to check in. I had made both reservations myself through the marriott.com web site and I had confirmation numbers - it wasn't like these reservations were made by travel agents or low-price consolidators. The first time, my wife was with me, and it took the hotel another hour to accommodate our feather-free room request (which was in the original reservation that they could not locate). We ended up going to bed after 1 AM as a result. No explanation, no apology from hotel management. The second time, the same scenario repeats itself - no reservation to be found in the hotel system (they could see it on Marriott's MARSHA system but for some reason they weren't able to bring it into the hotel's own system). Fortunately, I was traveling by myself and I was willing to take any room they can give me at that late hour. The following morning, I talked to the front desk manager about what happened and asked her to find out why the same problem happened twice to the same person at the same hotel. I then send her two follow-up emails with reservation details so she can troubleshoot. There were no responses to my email messages, no voice mail from the manager, no personal note, no explanation. Honestly, this is the first time I have witnessed such indifferent, "don't care" attitude from Marriott management - and I am a Platinum member of their frequent guest program!

I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. It is a nice, clean hotel, and chances are you will have a trouble-free stay. However, don't expect issues to be resolved quickly or to your complete satisfaction in case you have problems. I have high expectations of a glitch-free experience when I stay at Marriotts, and this properly has disappointed me twice. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go back to the Gaithersburg Marriott. It is older but is better managed, parking is free, and it's walking distance to a pleasant mid-size shopping area with several restaurants and even a movie theater.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Helena, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

This hotel caters to business travelers going to area private industry and government offices and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission headquarters across Rockville Pike so while expensive for the area, it delivers for its intended guests. The hotel is easy to access, right across Rockville Pike from the White Flint Metro stop on the Red Line; a tunnel goes under Rockville Pike you you don't even have to wait for the crosswalk. The rooms are roomy and tastefully decorated; my room was spotless with quality bath items. The hotel restaurant serves very good food; while the breakfast is shockingly expensive ($18 buffet) the dinner is suprisingly reasonable and high quality. There is a McDonald's across the street and a Chili's 2 block southeast on Rockville Pike for cheaper dining options while at the hotel. All of the business functions you could want are located at the hotel; wireless internet is a paid service which is a pet peeve of mine (why can the $79/nt Holiday Inn Express offer it as part of the room rate but not the $250/nt Marriott????) but I've negotiated that as part of the room rate before. Cab fare from Reagan National was $50 late at night with no traffic). I've stayed here numerous times without complaint and will continue to stay at this hotel when my travels bring me to Rockville.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I spent four days/evenings at this Marriott property to participate in both meetings and conference. The hoptel catered breakfast and lunch for our group....all was fresh and tasty! The meeting/conferencing facilities were cofortable and clean....the hotel staff was quihk to remove dishes/trash and refill coffees, wter, snack statios.

Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

My spouse & I stayed for a one-night business trip at this recently built (3 yrs old?) hotel, which is still very clean & new looking. Staff was very professional. The hotel is decorated in blond-colored woods throughout, including inside the elevators. The lobby areas downstairs are wide open and spacious. The restaurant lunch was quite good and reasonably priced as hotel restaurants go. The bar was not your typical, warm & welcoming, hotel lounge area. Instead, it was sparse, wide open, and unwelcoming. Not a place we wanted to even sit & have a drink, so we opted instead for tea in the concierge lounge on the 10th floor, which had a much more pleasant & inviting atmosphere, but for the noise from a large group of people gathered around a table. Our room, 205, was tastefully decorated with heavy-looking blond wood furniture, with light-colored upholstery & carpet -- light green windowpane design carpet, light green upholstered desk chair, light salmon & yellow armchair & ottoman, yellow & blue horizontal stripe curtains. The room has a small, but functional bathroom with large marble top sink. Room was well lit, but bathroom light is very dim. The mattress is very comfortable, but the duvet is too hot even for someone like me who is always cold. Although it was a damp, chilly night outside, we had to run the A/C to stay even somewhat comfortable in the room at night. The A/C system was very loud and abruptly woke me every time it cycled on. This room (and others along the same side of the hall) had no view. It overlooks a stone-floored roof surrounded by concrete architectural barriers, which block your view. For one night only, we could put up with it. We had concierge lounge access on the 10th floor, from which there is a better view. The hotel is conveniently located near the White Flint metro stop. It is also in an area of shopping malls, though I am not sure if they are within walking distance. For vegetarians, there is a good Asian vegetarian restaurant, The Vegetable Garden, within a few minutes walk in the little strip mall next to the hotel on Rockville Pike. I'm rating this hotel a 4 instead of a 5 because of the poor sleep quality due to noisy A/C and overly hot duvet; the very poor bathroom lighting; and, the lack of free Internet in the room. (Why do the Marriott Courtyard's have free internet while the more expensive Marriott's do not)?

Petersburg PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

When a hotel advertises itself as a business hotel, I have certain expectations as I stay for business at several places a year.
1) I expect messages to be delivered to colleagues.
2) I expect to use the Internet in my room.
These both failed to reach expectations.

Ames, IA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

This hotel is very poorly managed with badly trained staff. First, the room had very dirty carpet with some sort of orange blob on the floor. I picked it up, but the spot was never cleaned. I had the desk staff order me a limo to the airport for my departure day, but they got the day wrong and woke me up at 4AM the next morning with a wake-up call; I called the front desk and asked them to cancel the limo for that morning. Then just when going back to sleep, the limo driver called at 4:30. When I was trying to find a local mall, the valet was too busy taking a personal call on his cell phone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!