“Toilet Problems!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
RI
“Toilet Problems!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I stayed in the Marriott Bethesda North from February 23 through February 26, 2007. I found an issue with flushing the toilet in the first room I was assigned to. The water would swirl and swirl and not go down. I called the front desk who promptly sent an engineer. The engineer informed me there were problems with the toilet flappers in some rooms (cheap and not weighted enough to work properly) and offered to show me how to remedy (sticking my hand in toilet tank to re-set flapper!). I informed him that I would not be doing that. He said he could replace the flapper but it would take time. It was nearly midnight so I asked to be moved to another room. I was promptly given another room. While unpacking I noticed several oddities such as a very low bar in closet, small sink attached to wall and bathroom door that opened out into the room. After a while I realized I had been given a handicapped room! I am not handicapped and wonder why I would be given this modified room! I don't believe this was the only room available. It was 12:30am by this point and I did not want to move again so I stayed. In addition, I did not plan to spend much time in the room.

The best part - when I used the toilet, I found it had the same problem as the other room! The water would swirl and swirl and the toilet would sometimes flush and sometimes not but I realized it would eventually flush. I spent an extraordinary amount of time flushing the toilet. Overall, not a good experience at all! I will certainly think twice before staying in this Marriott again, or recommending it anyone. I am a frequent traveler and recently decided to sign up for the Marriott Rewards Program and give Marriott Hotels a try. This was my first stay under the program and I am certainly not impressed!

• Liked — Proximity to the metro
  • Disliked — Overall experience
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference I was attending. I was so impressed with the level of service at this hotel that I was compelled to write a review. The staff was courteous, helpful, and friendly...attending to every detail with such a pleasant attitude. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the restaurant food was very good. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Service, Service, Service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pullman, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

Stayed here to attend a workshop that was held in the adjoining conference center. Location is right on the METRO red line at White Flint, so very convenient to get around. The beds were quite hard, the rooms pretty standard. Well kept overall. They do a turn down service each evening, which I found inconvenient. Also, the AC in the room was always turned down to 63 degrees by the staff, and I would turn it up to 75 degrees, only to find it turned back down. It was incredibly hot outside, but I don't think it was necessary to freeze guests inside to compensate. Internet is available for $10 per day. Also, I used the Business Center to send a 1-page fax, and the posted charge was $3 for the page. On my bill at check out was a charge from the Business Center for $34 - OUCH! When I pointed out the error, they took the whole charge off. I would stay there again....

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albany,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Very nice hotel. No complaints. Very convenient location. Plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance and a Metro stop that will take you into D.C. is only about 150 yards from the hotel. I would return and recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Nice hotel, centrally located. Fitness center isn't exactly gym-quality, but not too bad either. The pros include: wonderful front desk staff and helpful doormen, in-hotel restaurant offers decent food, tidy rooms. The cons: the housekeeping staff does an adequate cleaning job, but we never got any soap or shampoo refills (we stayed for 6 days); we had hoped for a sauna in the fitness center, but there was none; and finally, if you arrive when it rains, plan to get wet, the "covered entry" doesn't extend out to the driveway! All in all, it was not a bad experience and we would return. Of course, we'll bring our own soap and shampoo and an umbrella!

Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

Extremely clean hotel. Very courteous service and fast check-in and check-out. Good restaurant on-site.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

The hotel itself is very impressive - rooms good size, bathrooms adequate, clean. Staff let this hotel down especially the front desk staff who do not know the area at all. No one on the concierge desk to help either. In fact they even had difficulty calling for a taxi and the security guard did it for us. They could not recommend one restaurant and did not know what shops were in which shopping centre. To try and get information of which metro line to change at to get to the museum in DC was impossible. They could not even arrange for 2 taxis to take a group of us to the airport with 3 hours notice. We had requested a van but they told us this was not possible and would arrange for 2 taxis. Luckily a second one pulled up with some guests so we were able to get our planes. If they had decent staff or staff training and could get taxis when needed it could be a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!