“Loved the hotel, but a bit of nickel and diming” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
White Plains, New York
“Loved the hotel, but a bit of nickel and diming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my friend and my mother for a family event. The rooms were nice, the linens were very soft, especially in comparison to most hotels, and all of the employees, from the receptionists to the bellhops to security were very helpful, very eager to help, and always smiling. Great fresh cookies in the afternoon and into the evening at the check-in desk. Also, there was some kind of citrus drink that was in the lobby--it wasn't to my taste, but my mother loved it.

In terms of noise, I did not hear anything from other rooms but noise from the hallway almost seemed amplified. I was about to say that perhaps the adjacent rooms were empty, but the hotel was completely sold out. Most everything in the rooms were in good shape and very clean--one of the bedskirts had about a 7" tear in it and there was some chipped paint, but overall very clean and nice.

The only issues I had here was price. I'll get to room cost in a moment. First of all, you have to pay for parking. I expect this in city hotels, not so much in suburban ones. The cost is $15 per night, though with Marriott Rewards it drops to $8 per night. The gate was never down. Anyone could pull in or out for free, so I sort of wished I hadn't said that I had a car.

Internet is not included in the price--$12.95/day. This seems ridiculous in this day, especially at a conference center. Even the computers in the business area were not free. I have never been to a hotel where they charged just for using (not printing from) the business center computer.

There was, however, a free printing station in the lobby to print boarding passes for flights. Also, refrigerators in the room were free.

I ordered 2 rooms through a group reservation number. I could only get one of the nights at the group rate of $119. I could get one of the other nights for $177.?? with a senior rate, and the 3rd night would have been $227.?? with the senior rate. I decided to look online and hotels.com had the rooms for $109. When I called reservations to check out what they would say, they immediately quoted $109. I had them change the reservations over and the representative said that one of my nights was at $99. Somehow the group rate had dropped $20. Because of Marriott's new reservation system (more on this below), there was no way to do one night at $99 and the others at $109, but he suggested I ask at check in whether they would honor the $99. I figured once I was checking in, there would be little hope, so I called the manager. I was only trying to get the $99 for that one night, but she very graciously offered it for all 3 nights for both rooms.

One of the rooms we ordered was for a roll-in tub for my mother. I asked repeatedly if it could be guaranteed, and I was told that it was on an availability basis. I asked the manager if I could call and check in earlier over the phone since we were coming in later. She said no. I called the morning of our arrival and asked the front desk if it looked like it would be available and she said there was no way to know, but that I should call right after check-out (noon) to see if one was available and then I COULD check in over the phone (the opposite of what the manager told me). I forgot to call then, since we were traveling and called at about 4:05 (check-in started at 4:00) The receptionist told me that they had a roll-in tub room had already been put aside for us and I did not need to guarantee it. When we finally got to the hotel, as we were checking in, the receptionist started explaining that we would be getting a roll-in tub room, and, not-to-worry, it's just like all the other rooms, except...I cut her off to tell her that we had requested it and she was relieved because apparently other people hadn't wanted that room and complained about it. So, even though there was lots of miscommunication/misinformation, everything worked out well.

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Not only was the nightly rate very reasonable, it included breakfast and free parking. Definitely not the normal in the DC/MD area. The hotel itself is very well taken care of and the staff were very nice. I've stayed in other Mariotts and they do not compare. Iound the bed quite comfortable and did not hear any noise through the walls. We stayed here to be close to family in Chevy Chase.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Hartford, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Well.. They look beautiful but could not provide me a luggage cart for almost 15 minutes. Not sure if there is a stuffing problem or not.
Room was nice. Does not come with microwave and they cant even arrange one in the room.
They have Starbucks which was good...
The behavior of the stuff was not so bad.
Best thing is, they made my parking complementary.
If you are planning washington DC trip and planning to stay here then please be informed that it takes more than 30 minutes to reach this place from washington.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good hotel, nice staff, good parking, clean and well maintained. Beds were a little hard for me, and a bit annoyed they were charging for wi-fi but the price was right. I thought the previous reviewers on lack of sound were interesting because I thought the walls seemed a bit thin and we heard quite a bit of noise in the hallways. But really not bad considering its a busy hotel.

maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the nicest Marriott I have ever stayed in. The hotel was beautiful and the service impeccable. The rooms were very quiet -- we never heard a sound from other rooms, outside, or the hallways. Beds were very comfortable. We chose the hotel to attend a graduation at American University, also on the metro red line. The location of the hotel directly across the street from the White Flint metro stop made it a conveninet location for the graduation and also to go into Washington without having to drive. I would highly recommend the hotel and will consider returning.

Salina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Marriott is only a block off the White Flint Marta exit. Not a lot to choose from in the area, but the area seems safe. Friendly staff and the rooms are pretty clean. They need to upgrade the ironing boards but other than that, the hotel is nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I travel a lot as my job requires it so. This hotel was WAY expensive for what it offers. The food was EXCELLENT but room service was poor and the location was not great either.

Overall, if you have the money and plan to stay there for 1 night then pay it. For me it was way too boring and expensive.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!