“Showing some age, but still a great choice.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Rockville
San Antonio, Texas
“Showing some age, but still a great choice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I've stayed in this Marriott for years now, and have even reviewed it here before, but I thought it was worth reviewing again. I really appreciate the convenience of this hotel and the helpfulness of the hotel staff. While the carpet and furniture are starting to show their age a bit, you can't beat the location for work in the White Flint area. I've now found several good restaurants within a very short drive, but the in-house dining is also very good. On my last stay, I was placed in a room that had not had the bathroom properly cleaned. When I called the front desk, someone showed up to help within 5 minutes, and after a quick inspection decided that I needed to be moved to another room. She took care of the details, and within 10 minutes I was relocated into a clean room just a few doors down. Mistakes do happen, and it's more important to me that they're handled kindly and promptly when they do.
Still recommending this hotel!

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is in a good location in Rockville, and still close to Bethesda. There are three Marriotts in the Bethesda/Rockville area and I slightly prefer this one. I used to stay the Bethesda Marriott Suites b/c all rooms are suites, but after I saw the fitness center at this hotel, I was sold. This hotel is fairly newer and there is a metro stop just down the street. The rooms are very clean, beds comfy, and they even have a fridge in the room if you ask. I'm a platinum member and there is no charge for me, but I'm not sure if you're non-platinum. The internet is pretty strong and allows me to watch streaming vidoes online. Internet is $12.95/night. The fitness center and indoor pool are WOW. I'm an avid workout person and the equipment is all top of the line and good weight lifiting equipment. Once of the best hotel gyms I've seen.

The ONLY drawback is $15 for parking/day. There is plenty of parking here, so it seems like a rip-off.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed here on business, attending a conference being held at the hotel. If this were a pleasure trip, I probably would have given overall rating of four out of five, because the lodging service was very good. The front desk staff were exceptionally courteous and helpful, as were most of the staff in the onsite restaurant and lounge. My room was clean, in very good condition, with plenty of pillows and ample towels. As others have commented on this site, drawer space was inexplicably sparse, but the closet space made up for this and as a single traveler I had plenty of room. I also appreciated the in-room safe for keeping my valuables during the day.

My three out of five overall rating comes from the fact that, for a business trip, I felt as if there were far too many added costs. First of all, $15 per day for parking is ridiculous - the lot was never close to full, and the hotel is located in a suburb where free parking would not be an unreasonable expectation. Secondly, there is a $14 per day charge for wireless internet access. Another guest attending my conference told me that he was staying in the older tower where wireless service was not available, so he had to pay $14 for in-room wired internet access. When he asked if he could just pay one fee for in-room access and wireless access where available in the hotel, he was told no, that could not be arranged. Seriously? This is 2011. I simply cannot figure out why hotels can't make wireless internet a free perk for their guests. It seems like the more expensive the hotel, the more likely they are to charge unreasonable rates for wifi.

This hotel is very conveniently located just a block away from the White Flint metro stop on DC's red line, so if one wishes to visit downtown DC it's entirely unnecessary to rent a car or even to take a taxi. I personally flew into Reagan National, and found it very convenient to take the metro directly to and from the hotel. This is not a good idea if you're loaded down with luggage, but a light traveler should be able to pull it off without difficulty.

Overall, one can expect a good experience staying at this hotel, whether for business or pleasure, and I would consider staying here in the future.

Punta Gorda, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Let me say first that the hotel is really nice and everyone is helpful. We spend an average of 20 nights there per year. My complaint is not about the hotel but the parking lot. They charge an additional $15/per nite. There are gates at the entrance. There is a note on the stand that the hotel is not responsible for theft, damage, etc. We were of the thought that since there were gates that the parking lot was safer. Not the case! Our car was stolen from the lot one evening. The management never called to say they were sorry for the problem - I had to find the manager to discuss the matter. I was told by him, the safety officer, the insurance company and the Marriott Headquarters that it was not really their problem since the signs are up regarding theft. We are loyal Marriott customers and really expected more from Marriott. The $150 parking cost and our additional expenditure of $300 to have the car fixed and the lack of respect from Marriott means we are one less guest they will have in the future.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
san antonio, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is my second visit to this hotel. Both times, I was here for a convention. Although this hotel is in a Maryland suburb of D.C., it is literally across the street from the White Flint metro stop on the red line. So, there is no reason to rent a car, pay for hotel parking, get into D.C. traffic, and struggle finding a place to park in D.C. proper. So, just use the metro and leave the driving to them. The hotel food is pretty good. Food cost is typical of a hotel. They have breakfast and lunch buffet. Corn and crab chowder is good. The chef has a good eye for food presentation. The staff is friendly and helpful. Both stays, I asked for late checkout and it was no problem. The federal government uses this hotel a lot for conferences and it is set up well for that purpose. But, if you are there for personal travel, you shouldn't have a problem. I never had a noise issue and my stay both times was pleasant. The rooms are nice and I can say I really did not have any complaints.

The hotel is in a commercial area with several food ( fast food, Chili's, Italian, dinner, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) and shopping options. There is also a Whole Foods market within walking distance (about 5 blocks or so). White Flint Mall is just a little farther than Whole Foods. Friendship Heights is only about 3 metro stops away, bringing you to the trendy Chevy Chase area with upscale shopping and nice eateries. Cylde's (located in Chevy Chase) is a nice, casual restaurant that has good, reasonably priced food. You might like to try it. They sometimes have live music, there is sitting outside, and there are specials such as 1/2 price oysters. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for business or pleasure.

Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The hotel itself is nice, the [private] breakfast was good, room service was good, beds are comfortable, shower is good. The devil is in the details.

First, the hotel room lacks a free Internet connection. If you don’t want to pretend it’s 1990, you must pay an outrageous $14 per day for the Internet. The front desk clerk said there was free Internet on two computers in the lobby, but then added the bizarre restriction that I could only use them for the specific purpose of printing out an airplane boarding pass! Even if I did want to do this, both of these lobby computers were out of order anyway.

Parking is very expensive ($15 per day) and should really be free, since this hotel is in a suburban area where most parking seems to be free. Also, the parking system itself makes no sense: the security gates are always open and no one ever asked for our license plate numbers, so the hotel isn’t really keeping track of anything. In the end, we were charged $45 for parking simply because we were honest. If we had instead told them that we didn’t have a car, we would have gotten away with parking there for free.

The front desk didn’t give us the “welcome” bag we were supposed to receive as part of the event we were attending. They called later that night and said they’d bring it right up. Almost an hour later, I startled at the click of a key card in our electronic door lock. As the door began to open, I ran to the door in my boxer shorts, and saw a confused hotel employee holding the “welcome” bag. He laughed and said that he was surprised that there was anyone in the room.

The TV situation is not good. There are not many channels, and it’s satellite TV, so many stations don’t come in, especially if it’s raining. According to a friend who was also staying in the hotel, the pay-per-view didn’t work either. She told me she paid for a movie but it cut off halfway through. When she went to the front desk, they said they would start the movie over again for her. She decided she didn’t want to start it over from the beginning, so she never got to see the end.

Minor issues: There is very little drawer space to put away clothes (only 3 very tiny drawers, and then 2 more in a large nightstand); very old, weak hair dryer; no fridge or mini-bar; some stains in the carpet; air conditioner is right next to and just above the bed, so your choice is either to deal with the heat or have cold air blowing directly in your face as you are trying to sleep; when we checked out, three bellhops stood around talking to each other while my very pregnant wife lumbered right by them, dragging two heavy suitcases out of the hotel towards the car I had pulled up front (I had to get out of the car to help her).

Again, if this was a cheap motel I wouldn’t complain, but I expect more from a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Staying here currently, been here in the past and have a client across the street requiring at least 30 more nights from me and my staff.

Called to say no ice bucket in room and guy acted like I was crazy and told me to check the drawers in dresser...still nothing (shame on me for looking). Also, no coffee cups. After waiting 1/2 hour they finally showed up. Went to concierge club, where my key card did not work. I headed down to wait 10 people deep to get it fixed. Expressed my concerns to front desk manager (who also checked me and screwed up my key) who seemed unphased...or he was used to it. Once in the concierge room, there seemed to be a meeting going on with people with laptops and papers spread everywhere.

The hotel is relatively nice, just not being run well. Maybe a bad storm day, but really not good service or attention to detail and patrons.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!