“Terrific food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Washington, DC
“Terrific food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had CRISPY CALAMARI with sweet and sour sauce, CARAMEL FISH fillet simmered in caramel sauce and served in a hot pot and MA TU’S SIGNATURE DISH - A sweet, mild black-pepper sauce sautéed with lightly-breaded soft shell crab. All three were superb!

I would have given it 5 stars except for the VERY slow service. We got there just before 8:30 on a Thursday night and the place was just about empty except for 4-5 people at the bar. Since we were outside at a sidewalk table, they nearly forgot about us until I went inside and got a waiter. It took about an hour and a half for us to have what should have been a 45-min. meal at most. The prices were reasonable.

Toward the end I went inside and sat at the bar, and soon in came a penguin. The penguin turned to the bartender and asked, "Have you seen my father?" The bartender responded with "Oh, maybe. What's he look like?"

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

It had been several years since I had been to Taste of Saigon. Just had dinner there again with the family. Everyone who knows about this restaurant knows about the Black Pepper Sauce. This time I was introducing my kids to this dish so I ordered TWO! (Black Pepper Shrimp). It was good as I remember. The portions are kind of small but this is a one of kind amazing dish. The flavors just burst in your mouth. We also ordered the "Shakey Beef" (very good, but again, small portion size) and Vietnamese Noodles (kind of like Vietnamese Pad Thai). We each also ordered soups for appetizers. I had the Asparagus Crab soup, and my wife and daughters ordered the Pho. This place ain't cheap but the food is good, service is good and the ownership is warm and friendly.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Best Food in Rockville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is, by far, my favorite restaurant in Montgomery County. I've been here several times a month over the past 4 years and it never fails to impress me! The black pepper chicken (Ma Tu's) is amazing - sweet and savory and perfect! Awesome pho, thick rice noodles with beef are a great comfort food meal. Customer service is amazing, also great with kids. We celebrate all our special dates here. Love, love, love!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
State College, Pennsylvania
“Amazing food - black pepper sauce worth the travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travel to Gaithersburg twice a year for business. Several years ago a friend took me to Taste of Saigon. I make it a point to go here on every trip. The black pepper sauce is amazing. Great atmosphere. The staff are very accommodating for larger parties. Highly recommend.

Visited November 2012
Rockville, Maryland
“My first experience with VietNamese Cusine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I tried this restaurarnt with a group of 4 other women. We asked for 3 of their most popular dishes and one was the Black Pepper Shrimp. It was the first to be consumed by the group and we all have returned to eat it. It ranks among my top ten meals ever eaten. What joy!