“Should have gone to Ruth's Chris” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Timpano Italian Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 342 restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Montrose & Randolph
Transit: White Flint
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Should have gone to Ruth's Chris”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We are the type of diners who can be happy at anything from Waffle House to Hall's Chophouse in Charleston. Just give us decent service and rather tasty food, and we are set. Unfortunately, my first experience at Timpano's will be my last (and I am quite forgiving). For the cost of dinner, I would have expected attentive waitstaff (or at least a waiter who showed up more than once every 30 minutes) and a higher food quality. Pregnant and starving, I left hungry; it just wasn't together. My eat-anything husband also left disappointed; not even tempted by his favorite dessert on the menu.

Long and short of it, the service was poor (we had to ask for our waiter, and my husband got our drinks at the bar on his own) and the food was boring and missing flavor; odd for an Italian restaurant. Ordering filets at a chophouse seemed to be a no-brainer, yet this chophouse didn't seem to favor seasoning and doesn't even offer an unflavored steak must - A1 sauce.

The same prices as Ruth's Chris, minus the flavor and service. Sigh.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Nice romantic dinner setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stopped by for a relaxing dinner and drink. Overall the experience was good. The waitress talked us into ordering 2 entree's instead of splitting one- and one would have been plenty. That meant more for her tip and leftovers for us. I'd recommend their mussels in the evening and their sliders during lunch. There combo's during lunch are also good and provide a small dessert that's just right in size and taste.

Visited December 2012
Olney, Maryland
“Special Occasion Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I like Timpano because it is a place that we can go to celebrate any occasion with good food. The ambiance is very welcoming. They do have live music at the bar but we always just enjoy the restaurant part.

Their prices are right for our special occasions and we always include their calamari in our appetizer order. I like how they now add some spiciness to the olive oil dip which goes well will their very delicious bread. The seafood and vegetable entrees are my favorite, especially the baked salmon and the scallop dish.

Desert used to be just the right portion for me but this past visit the tiramisu was huge. It was too much for two of us to share. We were told most of the desert portions are now very large. I will definitely ask about the desert portion size before ordering.

Timpano is spacious and can take a large group. They have a large private room and upstairs is also big for a large group.

I love this place.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Severn, MD
“Fourth Time a Charm?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have been to Timpano's for both business and personal, both lunch and dinner and with both large groups and just one other person. I definitely preferred dining with the smaller groups as opposed to the separate room with a large group. The wait staff with the large group didn’t seem as engaged or interested as those the times we ate in the main dining room. Could all three times could have been a fluke? But I will say that EVERY SINGLE TIME I was part of a small party or just sat around the bar (yes, they have great drinks too) the service was impeccable. The food is great and they have a nice variety. I know we will be going there for a holiday party, so let's see how the service is for 4th large group event. . . .

Visited September 2012
Sacramento, California
“Trendy but very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It seems every professional with a date or looking for a date fills the bar, infusing the restaurant with a remarkable youthful energy more often seen downtown than the suburbs. The food is well prepared if not inspired. The service is excellent. Prices are reasonable. I would definitely go again, with or without a date.

Visited May 2012