“What a Change” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“What a Change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We tried a little of everything including Peruvian drinks. The owners father was a wealth of knowledge and told us all the stories. It made a memorable experience

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
Rockville, Maryland
“Excellent food, even better than restaurants in Peru!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Every time I am back in the area, the first restaurant my family visits is La Canela. We love every detail of it: the decorations, it makes you feel like you are in Peru; the music is great; the service is caring, and most important, the food is out of this world!
We ask for a variety of plates, so we can try each others food: ceviche, fried calamares, crab stuffed yuccas. All these appetizers are so tasty that we enjoy every bite of it.
For Marín course we love lomo saltado, it has the perfect balance of flavors and juiciness, aji de gallina, it is the best we have ever tried, arroz con mariscos, a mix of seafood with excellent rice with incredible flavors, and chupe de camarones, soup that customers shouldn't miss, I enjoy every spoon full of it.
The desserts are also very tasteful. The panacotta with raspberries, the tres leches, and if you're Peruvian and miss the picarones, come to La Canela....they are spectacular!
As you can see we love this place and we will continue to come as many times as we can when we are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Peruvian Change of Pace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Excellent food, professional service, good ambiance makes this Peruvian restaurant a very good change of pace from American/European fare. Around the corner from Rockville's Town Center square on Gibbs St., we found the Peruvian Yuquitas (mashed yucca balls, fried), Asadi de Tira (short ribs slow cooked in beer and served in a bowl of assorted Peruvian beans) and Chupe (shrimp chowder) of superior quality. Good selection of South American and Spanish wines. The pisco, described as a Peruvian brandy, was not to my taste and the Marguerita made with pisco was not interesting. Sit upstairs where it's quieter.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Very Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is a little hidden around the corner from the central square of Rockville Town Center but it is a great find!

Me and my wife went here and had a great dining experience. It is a little on the nicer side so it is great for a date.

The yucca that came with the appetizer we got was the best yucca I had ever had, so good!

Both me and my wife enjoyed our main dishes as well. Overall a great restaurant!

Visited August 2012
Maryland
“Excellent but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

La Canela is tucked away at one end of Gibbs Street in Town Center, Rockville. I haven't been to a lot of Peruvian restaurants, so I don't have a lot to compare, but the food here is very good. They tend to slap an egg on a lot of things where you don't expect it, like on a steak or a chicken dish or even potatoes, but I believe that's authentically Peruvian.

I had the lamb shank, my daughter had fettuccine, my son had a steak and my husband had short ribs. It was all very good. We were part of a larger group, and everyone liked what they ordered. The service tends to be leisurely. It took us 2-1/2 hours to eat dinner, so don't go if you're in a hurry.

They had a decent beer list; ditto wine by the glass. No one tried any of the mixed drinks, which looked interesting but no prices were shown on the menu. The desserts were scrumptious. I had a caramel and chocolate custardy thing. A friend had something advertised as a cross between flan and cheesecake. No one left anything on their plates.

So, half of us had an appetizer or salad, half had dessert, and half had beer or wine. The price per person with tip was $46, which to me is a tad pricey. One reason we went there is we had a coupon for 10% off, but it turned out the small print that said "some restrictions may apply, check with the restaurant" meant you could not use it at all on weekends, so the manager sent it back via the waitress. I still have it, but I don't think I will be using it any time soon. That smacks of bait and switch to me.

• Visited April 2013