“Such a tasty dinner we returned for lunch the next day!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #26 of 335 restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: A quick Google search turned up yelp and other sites about East Pearl, but there doesn't appear to be a dedicated website. Excellent food!
Burlington, Vermont
“Such a tasty dinner we returned for lunch the next day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

On another visit to DC to visit my mother, we made a last minute decision to eat dinner at the East Pearl. It was so tasty, we decided to eat lunch there again the next day!

The dishes we ate: Chicken Dumplings Hong Kong Style, Fried Noodles Hong Kong Style, Roast Pork, AND Mussels in Black Bean Sauce. The black bean sauce was amazing! Given that we are non-Chinese, they made everything "mild" as opposed to "spicy"!

Perhaps I was tired from traveling, perhaps I was happy to see my mother; whatever the reason,
we both agreed that the food was, how to you say, WOW! And both of us have eaten Chinese Food (real or American Style) all over the world (China, Hong Kong, London, Malaysia, New ?York, San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney, Taiwan, etc). When I return to DC in a month, we'll probably eat there again!

Well done!

• Visited October 2013

84% Recommend
Conyers, GA
“Wow, a real "CHINESE" chinese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were visiting my parents and wanted to take them and some close friends out for a nice meal. We grew up in Hawaii and enjoy actual "Asian" food. Most of the places that you go to these days are set up for an American "Takee-Outee" "sweet & sour" palette. My brother suggested the East Pearl.

This is about as an authentic a Hong Kong Restaurant as I've been to outside of Chinatown. While you can find many dishes that will suit even the most American of taste buds, many of the selections are very traditional.

We ordered 10 dishes and shared them family style. The service was great and a great time was had by all.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“a bit of Flushing NY in Rockville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It's been a year since we left the New York area for DC and at long last, we have found a restaurant that reminds us of Wo Hop in Chinatown and the cavernous places in Flushing (and yes, been to China and Hong Kong in the past 2 years and this is nothing like the food we ate there). There were mostly Asians on the night we ate here, so that must say something. At long last, we have found chow fun as we remember it and the black pepper scallops and kung pao chicken and shrimp were fine too. Everything came out piping hot; service was prompt and efficient, and we will be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Went downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were there on its opening day. Food was excellent then. Service was good also _ but only if we were lucky enough to get a particular waitress who used to work at another Chinese restaurant in Germantown. Throughout this past year, we continued our patronage.

Unfortunately, the service has deteriorated to the point that it's almost unpleasant to dine there. There is a head waiter there who is arrogant and rather nasty, along with a waitress in glasses that has no clue about customer service. The quality of the food also went downhill: greasy and the delicacy is gone. . This is especially so when the restaurant is packed and the dishes had to be rushed. Yes, the portions are large but that does not equate to quality. On a lucky day, I may still be able to get some tasty meals.

I have not encountered a Chinese restaurant in this area that charges for a bowl of rice. We ordered a bowl of wanton, a whole flounder stir fried with vegetables, and a plate of roast pork. The waiter brought us one bowl of rice and when we requested another bowl since there were two of us, we were told we have to pay for the second bowl because our second entrée is a plate of roast pork. We dine out a lot and we always order more than we can consume because we like variety, We leave good tips.

A message to the owner: of course, we can afford to pay that bowl of rice, but you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. You are Chinese and you run a Chinese restaurant. You should understand rice is a main staple, like bread served with some western meals. While I know that the Chinese restaurants in Boston do charge for a bowl of rice with each meal, that is a known practice that is prevalent in that city. Those restaurants charge regardless of the type of entrée one orders. But that is not so in your restaurant, nor is it a customary practice amongst your competitors. Given what we've ordered, I don't see why your head-waiter felt compelled to charge. Given the deterioration in your food quality and, most of all, your service, you just lost a couple of patrons who used to frequent your restaurant at least once a week since your restaurant's opening.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“Authentic with Great Variety”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As a disclosure, I lived in Taiwan for 2 years and have spent several weeks in the mainland including Hong Kong and enjoy authentic cuisine rather than Americanized "Panda Express-type" Chinese food.

I learned about this restaurant from the Washingtonian and it lived up to the reviews. We ordered 8-9 dishes to carry-out for a large group of friends, so we had a good sample size. The Singapore noodles were my favorite. Also the chow foon and pan-fried noodles were amazing. And even the classic dishes at every restaurant, like Hunan chicken, Kung pao chicken, and General Tsao's chicken were really good. The staff was very friendly when I ordered over the phone and when I picked up. The dishes are pretty large and honestly one is probably sufficient for two people to share, although we didn't mind having leftovers. FYI they do NOT deliver. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes Chinese food and I will be returning in the very near future.

• Visited May 2013