“a bit of Flushing NY in Rockville” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 350 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: A quick Google search turned up yelp and other sites about East Pearl, but there doesn't appear to be a dedicated website. Excellent food!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“a bit of Flushing NY in Rockville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It's been a year since we left the New York area for DC and at long last, we have found a restaurant that reminds us of Wo Hop in Chinatown and the cavernous places in Flushing (and yes, been to China and Hong Kong in the past 2 years and this is nothing like the food we ate there). There were mostly Asians on the night we ate here, so that must say something. At long last, we have found chow fun as we remember it and the black pepper scallops and kung pao chicken and shrimp were fine too. Everything came out piping hot; service was prompt and efficient, and we will be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Went downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were there on its opening day. Food was excellent then. Service was good also _ but only if we were lucky enough to get a particular waitress who used to work at another Chinese restaurant in Germantown. Throughout this past year, we continued our patronage.

Unfortunately, the service has deteriorated to the point that it's almost unpleasant to dine there. There is a head waiter there who is arrogant and rather nasty, along with a waitress in glasses that has no clue about customer service. The quality of the food also went downhill: greasy and the delicacy is gone. . This is especially so when the restaurant is packed and the dishes had to be rushed. Yes, the portions are large but that does not equate to quality. On a lucky day, I may still be able to get some tasty meals.

I have not encountered a Chinese restaurant in this area that charges for a bowl of rice. We ordered a bowl of wanton, a whole flounder stir fried with vegetables, and a plate of roast pork. The waiter brought us one bowl of rice and when we requested another bowl since there were two of us, we were told we have to pay for the second bowl because our second entrée is a plate of roast pork. We dine out a lot and we always order more than we can consume because we like variety, We leave good tips.

A message to the owner: of course, we can afford to pay that bowl of rice, but you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. You are Chinese and you run a Chinese restaurant. You should understand rice is a main staple, like bread served with some western meals. While I know that the Chinese restaurants in Boston do charge for a bowl of rice with each meal, that is a known practice that is prevalent in that city. Those restaurants charge regardless of the type of entrée one orders. But that is not so in your restaurant, nor is it a customary practice amongst your competitors. Given what we've ordered, I don't see why your head-waiter felt compelled to charge. Given the deterioration in your food quality and, most of all, your service, you just lost a couple of patrons who used to frequent your restaurant at least once a week since your restaurant's opening.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“Authentic with Great Variety”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As a disclosure, I lived in Taiwan for 2 years and have spent several weeks in the mainland including Hong Kong and enjoy authentic cuisine rather than Americanized "Panda Express-type" Chinese food.

I learned about this restaurant from the Washingtonian and it lived up to the reviews. We ordered 8-9 dishes to carry-out for a large group of friends, so we had a good sample size. The Singapore noodles were my favorite. Also the chow foon and pan-fried noodles were amazing. And even the classic dishes at every restaurant, like Hunan chicken, Kung pao chicken, and General Tsao's chicken were really good. The staff was very friendly when I ordered over the phone and when I picked up. The dishes are pretty large and honestly one is probably sufficient for two people to share, although we didn't mind having leftovers. FYI they do NOT deliver. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes Chinese food and I will be returning in the very near future.

• Visited May 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Try Their House Special Flounder Fillet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

It was my Mom's birthday on March 22, Friday, and we took her to our now favorite French restaurant, Le Vieux Logis. The next day, we were in the vicinity of Rockville and I told my Mom we had to eat noodles since Asians consider this as a tradition to eat it on their birthdays as a symbol of "long life." My Mom is 91 years old and very healthy! So what better way than to have a late lunch at East Pearl restaurant. And guess who opened the door for us? My niece who was with us the night before! And so we joined them. We just had breakfast so we really were just going to order the pan friend noodles. My niece had the same craving and they just needed a quick bite since they were shopping for a new car. I remember how good their fish was and our former server told us to just point to the menu on the wall and that would be the fish that we like so much. But they took that down from the wall but they did know what I was talking about. It's their house special flounder filet. I won't describe it. You should come and try it yourself! Our company (my niece and her husband) loved it. She thinks her father-in-law would like it too. I guess we all have the same taste. Give us good food anytime!

After lunch, my Mom went to the ladies room and while waiting for her I asked one of the servers what was the "bestseller" in this restaurant. I'm Asian but not Chinese so we rely mostly on recommendations of our server. But here's what she circled in the copy of my menu: 1) House Special Fish Fillet ($15,95) No wonder I loved it. It was a "bestseller!" 2) Lemon Grass Beef ($18.95) 3) Deep Fried Spicy Pork Chop ($12.95) 4) Pan Fried Stuffed Triple Delight ($15.95 5) Deep Fried Spicy Scallop, Squid, and Shrimp ($15.95)

So I quickly put these notes on my iphone so that I know what to order the next time around!

• Visited March 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
“Really Good Chinese Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This restaurant has only been here for about a year. As a non-Asian, I knew it would be good the first time I went in because everyone eating there was Asian! The menu clearly showed the skill of the chef, as there were many dishes not found in typical neighborhood Chinese restaurants. While the menu highlights Hong Kong Style. other varieties were also listed. I enjoyed a supurb caserole of squid, scallops, pork, & tofu. This is one place my famiy and I will not hesitate to go back to - and I really hope others go also - that way it will more likely always be there for me!
The only thing that might annoy some people is the acoustics - the dining room has a high ceiling, and when the restaurant is crowded (most eveings, lunch times, and all day Saturday & Sunday) it can be a bit noisy. Note that if you have ever been to China, the atmosphere and service hustle and bustle is very typical. If you do go to East Pearl, you will likely enjoy your meal regardless. Therefore, enjoy! - and always travel/eat safe!

• Visited February 2013