“unclean and disgusting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2621 Research Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20850 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites Washington-Gaithersburg-Rockville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
Newark, New Jersey
“unclean and disgusting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

We chose to stay here for a 2 nights for post-operative rest. The room rate was about 150$. The room was clean on first glance. But then we noticed the pots and pans had detergent residue on them.We had to clean each to use it. The dish cloths were almost brown .And the bedsheet had a big hole in it. the floor carpet was vaccummed but browned. It just felt unclean. I am sure such hotels go through heavy traffic and usage but this is was unbearable for the price we paid. I would not chose to stay here again! The staff however is very nice and welcoming.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DcWatcher, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Gaithersburg - Rockville. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I had just stayed at a disgustingly bad Homestead Suites in Pennsylvania and dreaded this stay after reading the reviews of this property. However... the sign on the building said that the place had been renovated, and it was true. The place was clean, except for my desk chair which had some suspicious stains, and amazingly, everything in the room worked. I could not set a wake-up call since no one at the front desk answered my phone call at 11 PM, but that wasn't a real problem. This would not be my first choice in this area, but I could stay here again with real problem.

• Liked — Clean and good location
  • Disliked — No wake up service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

This was the second-worst hotel I've EVER stayed at! I can't believe the health inspectors let this place slide by. Dirty! Smelly! The first night I couldn't sleep because I kept imagining things crawling on me. The second night I asked for new sheets and put them on myself. The blanket still stank, but at least I could try and think that there weren't any bugs on the sheets. The third night the smoke alarm went off at 11:20 and continued louder and louder, lasting for 30 minutes. We were all evacuated into the 40-degree night for half an hour. (These things happen, but it turned out that the cause was the spray painting they were doing on the third floor. Why in the world were they doing that in the middle of the night?)

When we arrived to check-in there was a note saying that the staff was "on the premises," and to call such-and-such a number. Of course there was no phone to use! (The office was wide open, with probably everyone's credit card information ripe for the harvesting; one just had to climb over the front desk to get there.) Eventually I found a phone, but the posted number didn't work. I finally got someone by dialing zero, but it cut off before I could hear her reply. Ten minutes later I called again, and was rudely told that she'd be right there.

Later the first night when I went down to the front desk to ask for the missing ironing board and for three light bulbs (three of the four lamps didn't work), and clerk rolled her eyes at me!

I wouldn't let my enemies stay here (becuase this place doesn't deserve to steal anybody else's money)!

• Liked — when the nightmare was finally over
  • Disliked — cleanliness (actually the lack thereof!)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

My family and I booked this hotel, since we had 5 people that needed to stay. We were able to get 2 double beds and a pull out couch, plus the kitchenette allowed us to cook a few meals in, so we could save a little money on our week stay in DC.
When we 1st arrived, after driving 2 days from Minneapolis, the desk informed me that the room we had 3 rooms booked. Since we only wanted one room, they put us in a ground level room. When we got to the room, it smelled like old Mexican food was cooked in there. They had a fan going to help with the smell, but only a carpet cleaning would have taken care of it.
Since we had arrived after 1am, we went right to bed, only to find long black hair in the sheets. Since we are all blond, we knew these were not clean sheets. I had to call for new sheets, which to some time to find. After making the beds ourselves, we all got to sleep about 2 am. The next morning, we were rudely awakened by 2 large barking dogs, in the room above us. We also found the long black hairs in our shower and bathroom, which led me to believe cleaning had not been done for a while.
There were a few plates and glasses, pots and some other cooking dishes, but not enough for a complete cooking. Seems someone had taken off with a few supplies.

I would not stay here again. The only good thing about this place, is it was close to the Train Station and easy access to the highway.

Stayed April 2006
West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Booked this place because it was the only one we could find at the last minute. Given the number by another place that was full - 10th call for us that night - taking anything available!

Despite a late arrival confirmation, we had to call & wake the desk clerk to get in at midnight. He was not friendly, just gave us the key and went back to his room. Our room was filthy - furniture covered in dust and mystery goop spots. Carpet in front of a/c sopping wet. One cup and two knives in the "fully furnished kitchen." Turned on the nightstand lamp to find ants everywhere. Called Mr. Personality again to inform him of the problem. He offered another room, and said "so you'll be down?" since he had no intention of helping us move or of checking either room. We moved, and found the second room slightly better. Less dirt, carpet only damp, and no moving decorations. Beds were insect free, so we crashed.

Next morning we found the ants - apparently they are kept in the bathrooms on this side of the building.

Day manager was more pleasant and apologized, but did not take anything off the room rate - over $120 for the night of bliss.
Never again!

• Liked — It was the only thing available/
  • Disliked — Filth, ants and rudeness.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Lacks basic amenities that would be expected for a suite hotel like coffee maker, paper towel, bath tub...

They got a stove in the kitchenette, but with no pots whatsoever, very limited number of utensils that seemed to have come from staffs' home drawers. There were a couple of cereal bowls and plates that didn't seem to be in a set. If you expect to travel with family and need to prepare your own food, even for a simple breakfast with boiled eggs, you are totally out of luck. There was no extra sheets and bedspread for the pull-out sofa bed and the phone in the bedroom didn't work. For the amount of money we spent in this suburb hotel, we could have booked an oceanfront studio off season in Maui.

Stayed at a Homestead before and loved it. Would not recommend this place to any family travelers.

Stayed April 2007
Wellesley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

Pros: RideOn Bus stops right in front of the hotel, takes you to the Metro station every half hour (including weekends). Cooking facilities (microwave, elec oven, dishes) in each room. Ample free parking.

Cons: No eatery, restaurant or any entertainment within walking distance. There is also a strange odor in the hallway, but not in my room.

• Liked — can cook, almost free internet
  • Disliked — no entertainment
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville? Share your experiences!