“home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2621 Research Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20850 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites Washington-Gaithersburg-Rockville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #13 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

i travel alot i am at times away from home 2 to 4 months at a time. this stay happened to be 2months. thanksgiveing happened to fall on this trip,so i could not be with my family. but i can tell you they made me feel as if i was with my family, one of the staff going as far as to invite me to there house so i wouldn't be alone,i can't say enough about evrybody there...mr.norfleet,deloris, elysse, ron, marco,bridgot.......i would stay anytime i'm in the area,and recommend it to evryone and anyone that ask me for a place to stay in that area....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PropertyManager28, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff made your stay a home away from home. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Do NOT COME HERE if you care about safety quiet or service! There has been nonstp smoking, noise and rowdy behavior my entire time. Trash is all over the halls, I thought they would have someone pick up in the morning. Still there! Dogs are allowed but this sounds more like a underground dog fight going on for hours. There are a couple of rooms that seem to be together they are up and down the halls, yelling, drinking. plus they keep going to the wrong rooms. A lady came out in the hall to ask them to please be considerate of other guests and to stop smoking and rioting in the halls. They said okay but a half hour later they were at it again. Telling the frontdesk is of NO HELP AT ALL! This was a BAD CHOICE for me especially when there are so many hotel choices around. Choose a better place than this!

Room Tip: If they wont stop people from smoking in the halls it doesnt matter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am and I will be reviewing this with my staff.
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a regular guest at this hotel and I like staying here. I can really feel comfortable and not like I'm staying in a hotel.

I know Delores and she has always been really wonderful to me. She worked with me to arrange a special rate for a two week stay and will go out of her way to make sure you're happy. Other staff are always pleasant and happy to help get you whatever you need. I do agree that Deborah has never been particularly friendly.

The hotel has pluses and minuses:
Pluses:
-It's great for a long term stay! You get a full kitchen with full size fridge, stove and microwave. The kitchen is arranged so it has separate seating of its own. You DO have to ASK for cooking utensils, but the staff always provides whatever I need once I let them know what I want.
-The hotel is in the process of being renovated. They've installed a number of new things like flat screen tvs in each room and upgraded the internet service. Not sure what the future upgrades will be (see note below re. hallways).
-Great closets with lots of shelf space and plenty of drawers.
-I've never had a problem with noise from other guests.
-Convenient to Rio Center, Rockville/Gaithersburg and the upscale Falls Grove Safeway, as well as Shady Grove Medical Center/Hospital.
-Quiet and safe area
-You can actually open the windows!! Now that's like home!
-Free Internet. Not super high speed, but workable.
-Nice, well maintained and large laundry facilities
-Nice, well maintained guest lounge with free "breakfast"
-Pet friendly, but you'd never know there were pets here. Never heard any barking or anything
-Plenty of parking and exterior of the premises are well maintained and landscaped
-Staff are really great and friendly (with maybe one exception who I haven't seen lately)

Minuses:
-The halls do need renovating: carpets and walls/lighting all a bit depressing. Doors are kind of thin, so you can hear things walking by/see light around the edges of the doors. But how much time do you spend in the hallways? The rooms themselves are really great.
-Around dinner-time the halls can also smell like cooking. Sometimes that's great, but sometimes not so great. I can live with it, as overall, the smells don't seem to get into other rooms. (They need fans on the stoves that vent outside, which I doubt will happen.) I have NEVER smelled weed.
-Guests are mixed. Some professionals (doctors on temporary assignments from Shady Grove) but also a fair number of laborers. This may change as rates are increasing due to the renovations.
-Free "breakfast" is, well, a limited menu. If you're into healthy, you'll find yoghurt and fruit, otherwise lots of pre-packaged highly processed pastries and the like.

Overall, for the price, I really like staying here. There are occasional glitches, but the staff are always very accommodating and ready to fix any problems. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Not perfect, but really good if you're looking for a place to call home for a few days.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West can get hot in late afternoon. I always ask for a second or third floor room on t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
PropertyManager28, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended stay America Washington, D.C. - Rockville. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Here is why:

*The person who took my reservation in Deloris, screwed up my email so I never got my confirmation. Everytime I called, she acted annoyed and promised to email it to a correct address later. Third time the charm, bunch of worthless idiots.

*When we tried to check in, Deborah, was on the phone, ignoring us, we had to wait 10mins before she put the phone down and checked us in. And yes the phone was personal, she was talking to someone about her kids. She never looked up to smile and to let us know she would be available soon. This is what happens when you hire people from the street.

*The corridors are old, dark and musty smelling. I could always smell weed on my floor. Staff didn't seem to care.

*Rooms are pretty small and not updated. The first room's thermostat didn't work, we had to get a new room.

*Not enough cooking utensils, plates, glasses or cups. How they expect people to cook in a suite with kitchen, when they don't even have pots or sauce pan to cook with?!?! Also, why advertise it?

*Staffs are unprofessionals and street. Our Pur filter (which by the way had a blinking red light, makes you wonder when or if ever the filter was changed?!?!) kept coming off due to the inner ring wearing off, the front desk person, Debra, just ignored our request. Great customer service indeed!

*Someone from ESA contacted me, apologized and offered me a free one night stay. I told them to keep it, ESA's brandname was tarnished I would never stay here and ofcourse won't my fellow travelers to suffer. So TripAdvisor community STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: Don't even bother, dish out the extra $100 a night to live in the Homestead or Marriott across t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
PropertyManager28, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The guest service issues you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I would like to invite you back to stay at the hotel for a free one night stay. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jireland@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed, i've been here for 10 months now for the second time, and the staff is well trained and courteous.
I will definitely recommend this place.
The area is very quiet and there is plenty of place to go, transportation is readily available and also is very secured

Room Tip: Rooms are better at the end of the building
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
PropertyManager28, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. It's great to hear that you think our hotel is one of the best hotels which you have every stayed at. . Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This location is for anyone who really wants to have a 'home-type' feel while you're away from home - short or long term. The management and staff work diligently to ensure a quality stay which we greatly appreciate!

The outside property is beautifully maintained, the rooms are clean and well kept. A major plus is a kitchen at your disposal. On the minor things we've needed the maintenance staff, they've come quickly and made sure everything is working correctly.

Also, good range of TV channels, especially for sports, foodie and HGTV fans.

Room Tip: If you want to take advantage of the continental breakfast daily stay near the front.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PropertyManager28, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location and the feeling about our hotel being a home away from home. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Denton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Homestead Studio Suites in Rockville, Maryland on Memorial Day weekend. When we arrived at 2:40PM the rooms had not been inspected by the desk manager. She explained that we could not be allowed to check in until she had personally inspected the room. With that we were invited to wait in the conference room (which was air-conditioned). When she return, we were signed in at 3PM. I was in the lobby several times on Saturday and Sunday and it was very busy, however the staff were handling everything with a smile. On Monday morning when we were ready to check out I met the manager Mr. Norfleet Caudle, III who seemed very pleased that we had enjoyed our stay so much. I had business, but my wife did NOT want to leave the room it was so comfortable, so we ate in! A great location to consider when visiting Washington, DC - - right up the road and you can park right outside your room. Looking forward to an excuse to go back to Washington and stay over at Mr. Caudle's hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Gaithersburg - Rockville. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Rockville? Share your experiences!