“21st Birthday Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 342 restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Located across the street from the Twinbrook Metro (red line)
“21st Birthday Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I'd never been to Matchbox before but some of my friends had so I decided to take a few friends there for my birthday dinner. When we got there (on a Thursday night) the place was bustling with noise and just loud enough to give a good ambience to the restaurant. It wasn't overly loud so that you had to scream to be heard. The lighting was also dim but I liked it. There were four of us so we were seated at a booth which was very comfortable and we ordered some custom pizzas and a large pizza half fire and smoke and half oven dried tomato and mozzarella. The pizza was amazing (I've always loved thin crust) and I loved the crunchy crust and it was very good. The only reason I gave this place a four star instead of five was because the fire and smoke pizza wasn't as hot as I would have imagined it to be (I'm South Asian and we tend to go heavy on the spice in my family). My friends surprised me with Mo's Magic Brownies for dessert and it was SO delicious!! The brownies were melt in your mouth and the vanilla ice cream was just yummy with it. The waiter sang me happy birthday and he was very cheerful in general. I had a great first-time experience here. The waiters were very attentive to the their respective tables and kept our glasses full. I don't know about how the alcohol tastes because I don't drink but I can definitely vouch for the food and environment. I loved Matchbox and I would go there again with family - preferably soon!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

77% Recommend
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have only been there a couple of times for lunch, but it offers great food, good craft beer selection, and excellent service.

• Visited December 2013
Maryland
“They do takeout, too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was having a big family dinner with small kids and I didn't want to cook, so I ordered a bunch of Matchbox pizzas and some sliders. It was a big order but they got everything right, and it was ready on time. Everyone loved the food. Their pizza has something for everyone, whether they like traditional pepperoni or trendy fig and prosciutto.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rockville, Maryland
“Great restaurnat and hang out spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really enjoy matchbox. I've done brunch, lunch and dinner there and was happy everytime. The cocktails are great, the pizzas are yummy and so are the salad. Love the atmosphere as well, you can do both intimate dinner and big groups. It can get a bit noisy on wkds evenings but they have a few "private" areas to sit.
I definitely recommend.

• Visited September 2013
maryland
“Very good, no frills meal !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Went here for an early dinner on NYE ( 2 adults, 2 kids). It was packed at 5:30 ( not surprising ) and we waited about 30 minutes after calling ahead and getting our name on the wait list .

From beginning to end our meal was pretty great - nothing fancy but good food and very good service. We had the sliders, cheesy bread appy, chopped salad , surf n turf special ,pizzas and the brownie dessert. All were very good and despite the crowd, served at a good pace. Our server was very pleasant as well.

It was a very nice way to end our 2013 . Will definitely return.

Visited December 2013