“A hot spot with great food!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 339 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Pizza, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Located across the street from the Twinbrook Metro (red line)
Provo, Utah, United States
“A hot spot with great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a busy place which usually equates good food. We found that to be true. We started with the 3.6.9 and had 3 small hamburgers with really neat onion straws on top. We also had a great pear goat cheese salad and a sausage and onion pizza. Three of us shared this meal and it was just right.

We were seated in front a lovely fireplace on a rainy, cool night. The ambiance was wonderful. The only negative is how loud it gets in there. We were talking loudly then the crowd thinned and it wasn't so hard to hear and talk.

It's a little pricey but it's way better than fast food. Stay awhile and visit. Savor the food. Ask for a seat by the fireplace on a cool night.

silver spring, md
“Very Good Food at Reasonable Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The restaurant is huge, but has been broken up into several rooms and an outside dining/bar area. I've visited Matchbox for lunch very many times (both in Rockville and in downtown DC) and have never been disappointed. They have a large variety of sandwiches, salads, pizzas, and other entrees, and every one I've tried has been very good. The pizzas are thin-crust, wood-fired, variously-topped, and all are terrific. The mini burgers (sliders) are an excellent choice for an appetizer and you can choose to have 3, 6, or 9 burgers. The salads are fresh and also are quite tasty. The service is generally very efficient and friendly. The ambiance is wood and brick and is very nice. The outdoor seating suffers from being on the Rockville Pike, but it is far enough from the traffic to be enjoyable. The price are reasonable. So give it a try!

Bethesda MD
“Excellent Food just a little issue with the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I had eaten at this location for lunch and been to the location in Gallery Place, but this was my first time here for dinner. We made reservations, and good thing we did it was very crowded for a Thursday dinner. We arrived early and were sat in a booth at the bar area. When we first arrived a bar patron was sitting in the booth, and had to be asked to leave which was awkward, but the hostess did apologize. However, no one came to our table to even greet us or take a drink order for 15 minutes and by this point I was starting to fume and ready to leave. However, after eating the food, I can say it was so good it made up for the service snafu. Everything there is so tasty! My date had the crab soup which was excellent. We had the mini burgers for appetizers which were very tasty. For my entree I had the salmon with potatoes and replaced the asparagus with green beans. The salmon was average as far as flavor, but the potatoes were baked and covered in a sauce that reminded me of German Potato salad and it was all over the green beans as well, it was very good! For dessert we got the trio and it is huge even for two people. It included the sorbet, two brownies and the donuts. I loved the donuts they were fresh and warm. Overall it was a good experience.

Nitro
“Romantic Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of eating at the Matchbox last year for a romantic dinner. I had been in Rockville for the first time taking my mom to see her sister. My girlfriend and I had gotten my mom settled in and wanted to find somewhere different to eat. This was our first trip together to Maryland. We had to wait about 45 minutes to eat, but it sure was worth the wait. The food was out of this world. I am not sure if they still have them, but the bacon wrapped shrimp appetizers were so good we still talk about them. The atmosphere was really cool as well. We loved the whole experience. We only wish that there was one closer for us to eat at more often.

• Visited February 2013
Kensington, Maryland
“Pizza on the Pike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Matchbox has been an excellent addition to the Rockville Pike restaurant mix. Excellent beer selection, very good appetizers (my favorite is the calamari salad), great burgers, and very good pizza. Enjoy the thin crust bursting with a smokey flavor along with your topping of choice. It is an attractive restaurant, fairly large, but it gets busy during peak hours so make a reservation or expect to wait. For great service, ask for Corey. Bon apetite.

• Visited May 2013