“A little too "green"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A little too "green"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel during a trip to visit family. Wonderfully clean and updated. Friendly front desk staff. This is a "green" hotel. You need to insert your key in a wall holder to get the lights and TV. This means you can't leave lights on when you leave the room. This would make me nervous if I was traveling as a single women and returning to my room at night. Also, the temperature in the room wouldn't go above 75 and I was cold unless I was in bed. I sleep well in a cold room so I slept well, but the rest of the time I was chilled. I would return to this hotel again if I was traveling with someone else.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Betsy W,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville during your recent trip to visit family in the area! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean and updated hotel and friendly front desk staff. I certainly understand your concern for safety regarding our in-room green technology, but the entrance light and bathroom lights are not connected to the key system for that reason as safety is our utmost responsibility for all of our guests. I'm sorry that we did not communicate that to you, but the system is designed to ensure guests can turn on a light before having to use the key card. Also, I'm sorry that you were cold unless in bed. We strive to ensure maximum comfort for every guest, and I apologize that your room was chilly. Thank you so much again for your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I usually try to stay in a Hilton brand when I travel for business. You know what to expect and the location of this particular hotel was perfect for me, right on Shady Grove road.

I happen to be a light sleeper, so I requested a room away from the elevator and main road. I got a room directly off the elevator facing Shady Grove. I went back down and asked if they could move me, and they did (very quickly) put me a few rooms down further from the elevator, but still facing the main road. The road noise wasn't nearly as bad as the heater kicking on every 15 minutes, even after I turned it down.

There is a lot nearby if you have the time - lots of restaurants in the Rio plaza as well as Fallsgrove. Rio also has shopping and a movie theater. I ate in the hotel (burger) and it was actually pretty good. It was about 8pm and they were out of a lot of stuff at that point, but there were plenty of choices.

The room has a microwave and fridge. The hotel has the bar, 24-hr pantry, fitness room, pool, but I didn't use them. Breakfast starts at 6 so you are out of luck if you have an early start.

I would probably stay here again but would have to insist for a quieter room.

Room Tip: Only six floors, so you can't be too high up, but low floors may have street noise if you face S...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear svsp,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent business trip to the area! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm sorry that we were unable to provide a room that was further from the elevator and away from Shady Grove Road. Also, I apologize for the noise of the air unit. We strive to provide the most comfortable, quiet environment possible so our guests can get the rest that they expect and deserve. I apologize that we did not provide maximum comfort during this stay, but please let me know when you will be staying again, as we are happy to accommodate your room location preference. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and that you found our restaurant to be good. Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate your loyalty to Hilton, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Rockville!

Tucson, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This room blew us away! Just expecting a comfortable king bed, but ended up with a suite, 2 bathrooms, 2 plasma TVs, and a jacuzzi tub besides a regular shower! Wet bar, as well as a towel "swan!" Felt very pampered!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Ray E,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville, and we greatly appreciate your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that your room blew you away, and that you enjoyed our spacious jacuzzi suite. It;s great to hear that you felt pampered and that our housekeeping team personalized your towel arrangement. Thank you again for your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

What a great time we had at the HGI, Shady Grove. The front desk staff kept the lobby tables full of delicious coffee and snacks while we all waited out a 7" snow storm. The rooms are lovely, the beds are comfy, and the location is right off Rockville Pike where everything is located.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Y5222ZLlindam,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville for a weekend getaway, and during our recent snow storm! We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed our lovely rooms, comfy beds and convenient location. Also, it's great to hear that our team kept coffee and snacks full while that snow came down! Thank you again, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rockville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

It was a great location for getting to worksite & airport. It has everything you need so once you are there you have no need to leave. Beautifully decorated and clean. There was shuttle service to nearby locations. Staff was very accommodating, helpful and genuinely interested in being helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Leslye R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent business trip to the area! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be a one stop location for everything you need! I'm glad that you enjoyed our beautiful, clean hotel and complimentary shuttle service. Also, I appreciate your recognition of our helpful, accommodating staff. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I went to Bethesda for the weekend and found this place on Expedia. Very clean spacious room with all basic amenities. The full breakfast downstairs was fantastic ($11 per person) - employees were great and helpful.

It's located near a busy road that is surrounded by strip malls so, as long as you are not looking for a scenic place, this is a great choice! I'll go back again!

Stayed March 2014
Dear travelpro1918,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent trip to the area! We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, our fantastic breakfast and helpful employees. These are definitely a few of the many reasons our guests continue to return, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thanks again, and have a great day!

Gaithersburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Every thing was GREAT! We had a wonderful time. My kids and there friends loved the pool, hot tub and the game room! The only thing that was not good was the bed. I did not have a good night sleep. So my husband and I were sad because with everything going so great we just new that we would have a great bed too, but that was not the case.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Nicole S,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent visit with the family! I'm very happy to hear you found everything to be great! It's great you were able to enjoy the pool, hot tub and kids room. I'm sorry that you found our beds to be uncomfortable, causing a poor sleeping experience. Our adjustable beds are designed to all our guests to choose their comfort level, and I'm really sorry that you and your husband did not get a good rest. We hope you will still consider us for a future stay with your family, as we certainly would like the opportunity to welcome you back. Thanks again, and have a great day!

Michael Anderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!