“Great until you want to go to sleep - and then it's appalling” 1 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“Great until you want to go to sleep - and then it's appalling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Usually you can tell a bad hotel when you check in: the lighting is poor, the staff are unhelpful, the bar staff look grumpy, the carpets are worn. This isn't the case with the Hildon Garden Inn in Rockville, a town about 35 minutes north west by metro from Washington. The person at check-in couldn't have been more friendly: the bar staff were chatty and made good recommendations, the place was super clean and very well lit. The hotel staff we met couldn't have been nicer. So much for first impressions.

Sleeping was almost impossible. For a start, the air conditioning system is extremely noisy and when in desperation I hit the "Off" button and it fell silent, the thunderous fan started up again 2 minutes later. The walls are very thin. The first night a bunch of young people decided to have a party in the room opposite and on several occasions sat in the corridor, talking, eating and drinking, taking little notice of my requests they shut up. Someone near the room of a colleague of mine started to smoke pot and then, to hide the smell, sprayed perfume everywhere, producing a terrible stench. The second night the man in the room next to mine snored so loudly that I had to sleep on the floor by the front door to escape the noise. The hotel staff, while pleasant, seem pretty oblivious to what's going on at night. So if you stay in a hotel to get some sleep, I have to recommend you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Faience44,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville during your recent business trip to the area. We appreciate your feedback, and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, and clean, well-lit hotel. I'm very sorry for the disturbances you experienced in your room. I'm sorry that our A/C was not functioning properly. We appreciate the insight so we can address and resolve the issue, but I'm sorry that we failed to ensure the air was working correctly for you. Also, I apologize for the noise disturbances from our other guests. We strive to ensure a comfortable and quiet environment for all of our guests, and I'm sorry that we failed to do so during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback.

Michael Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

When we got to the room there was already a pack n play set up for our daughter. We called the front desk to ask for a sheet to cover the mat with and about an hour later someone called us back from the front desk to make sure it had been delivered and we were satisfied. We said we hadn't received it and minutes later someone came to the door and apologized for the delay. They accidentally went to the room above us. We were so impressed with the follow up call that we didn't mind at all.

Dear Amanda0220,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville, and we greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm happy to hear that our team had your pack n play set up prior to your arrival. I'm sorry it took some time to deliver the cover (I hope it didn't delay your daughter getting to sleep!), but I'm glad we quickly delivered after our follow up call. Thank you again for your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was staying at the HGI for 2 nights on business. Overall hotel was a positive experience. My only complaint was that the adjustable beds were incredibly uncomfortable. Ditto for the pillows. I usually find a couple firm, a medium, and a soft pillow on Hilton beds. I had 5 bricks on my bed this time around. This was one of the worst stays in terms of quality of sleep I have had at an American hotel. The rest of the hotel and it's staff were great. It wad just the bed and bedding that I regret. Sadly, that was what I was paying for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rion D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent business trip. We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very sorry that you found our sleep system beds and pillows to be uncomfortable. We understand the importance of quality rest, and each of our guestrooms are to be supplied with foam and feather pillows to ensure the comfort our guests deserve. I'm sorry that we failed to deliver. We certainly hope you will consider our hotel for your next business trip to the area, and our great staff will ensure your room is set up for a comfortable sleep. Thank you again.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We are two families that stop here on the way back from Myrtle Beach. I did my reservation directly with the hotel this time. The rate was the same online thru many of the travel websites. There is a restaurant, pool, whirlpool, game room for kids, exercise room and a great plaza within walking distance behind the hotel. This hotel is located very close to DC attractions as well. The beds have their own control for each side, great pillows, and the rooms are VERY clean. The staff was very friendly checking in and throughout the hotel. The kids loved all of the extras and there is a lifeguard on duty at the pool that is open until 10:00 but also does not open until 10:00 in the morning.

Room Tip: We've started on the third and second floor and experienced no difference between the two.
Hello Amy A,

Thank you for choosing to return to our hotel with your family friends, and we greatly appreciate your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of the amenities our hotel has to offer. Our clean rooms, on-site restaurant, pool, kid's room, fitness center and convenient location are some of the top reasons our guests continue to come back. Also, thank you for your recognition of our friendly staff. We certainly look forward to welcoming back your family and friends again soon!

Highland Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg is a very nice place to stay offering very good accommodations. The lobby was very nice and comfortable. From the very start service was very good. The HGI was very clean and housekeeping was top notch. We are not a fan of the Sleep Number beds, even after this being our second experience with this offering. We did not have an opportunity to use the other services so I cannot comment on those services. The one thing I would recommend is that you request a room on the upper floors and to the rear of the road. We were disturbed by the road noise, even on the third floor of the HGI the road noise was loud. Give the HGI a try, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The one thing I would recommend is that you request a room on the upper floors and to the rear of th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear saveroom4dessert,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you found our lobby to be comfortable, service to be good and housekeeping to be top notch. I'm sorry that you did not find our sleep system beds to be comfortable, but we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again, and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Have a great day!

Parsippany, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spacious room, clean and comfortable, free internet, large TV screen, fitness center and pool, all at a reasonable price. I stayed there with my son to attend a family birthday party nearby, and I was satisfied in all respects.

Hello Kenneth K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the HGI Rockville! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms, complimentary high-speed internet and flat screen HD TVs. Also, it's great that you and your son had the opportunity to enjoy our fitness center and indoor pool! I'm glad that you were satisfied with your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Waterville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

It was our first visit to Rockville and we found The Hilton Garden Inn online. The hotel was very clean and the employees were exceptionally helpful, professional and cordial. Our bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast in the restaurant had several selections and the employees made sure it was fixed exactly to the customer's liking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI during your first trip to Rockville! We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy that you had an enjoyable experience and found our hotel to be clean, team members to be exceptionally helpful and bed to be comfortable. It's also great that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet with made to order selections prepared by our culinary team. Thank again, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back during your second trip to Rockville!

Michael Anderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!