“nice property, horrible beds” 3 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas, United States
“nice property, horrible beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was staying at the HGI for 2 nights on business. Overall hotel was a positive experience. My only complaint was that the adjustable beds were incredibly uncomfortable. Ditto for the pillows. I usually find a couple firm, a medium, and a soft pillow on Hilton beds. I had 5 bricks on my bed this time around. This was one of the worst stays in terms of quality of sleep I have had at an American hotel. The rest of the hotel and it's staff were great. It wad just the bed and bedding that I regret. Sadly, that was what I was paying for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Rion D,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent business trip. We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very sorry that you found our sleep system beds and pillows to be uncomfortable. We understand the importance of quality rest, and each of our guestrooms are to be supplied with foam and feather pillows to ensure the comfort our guests deserve. I'm sorry that we failed to deliver. We certainly hope you will consider our hotel for your next business trip to the area, and our great staff will ensure your room is set up for a comfortable sleep. Thank you again.

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We are two families that stop here on the way back from Myrtle Beach. I did my reservation directly with the hotel this time. The rate was the same online thru many of the travel websites. There is a restaurant, pool, whirlpool, game room for kids, exercise room and a great plaza within walking distance behind the hotel. This hotel is located very close to DC attractions as well. The beds have their own control for each side, great pillows, and the rooms are VERY clean. The staff was very friendly checking in and throughout the hotel. The kids loved all of the extras and there is a lifeguard on duty at the pool that is open until 10:00 but also does not open until 10:00 in the morning.

Room Tip: We've started on the third and second floor and experienced no difference between the two.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello Amy A,

Thank you for choosing to return to our hotel with your family friends, and we greatly appreciate your feedback! I'm very happy to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of the amenities our hotel has to offer. Our clean rooms, on-site restaurant, pool, kid's room, fitness center and convenient location are some of the top reasons our guests continue to come back. Also, thank you for your recognition of our friendly staff. We certainly look forward to welcoming back your family and friends again soon!

Highland Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg is a very nice place to stay offering very good accommodations. The lobby was very nice and comfortable. From the very start service was very good. The HGI was very clean and housekeeping was top notch. We are not a fan of the Sleep Number beds, even after this being our second experience with this offering. We did not have an opportunity to use the other services so I cannot comment on those services. The one thing I would recommend is that you request a room on the upper floors and to the rear of the road. We were disturbed by the road noise, even on the third floor of the HGI the road noise was loud. Give the HGI a try, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The one thing I would recommend is that you request a room on the upper floors and to the rear of th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear saveroom4dessert,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you found our lobby to be comfortable, service to be good and housekeeping to be top notch. I'm sorry that you did not find our sleep system beds to be comfortable, but we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again, and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Have a great day!

Parsippany, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spacious room, clean and comfortable, free internet, large TV screen, fitness center and pool, all at a reasonable price. I stayed there with my son to attend a family birthday party nearby, and I was satisfied in all respects.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Hello Kenneth K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the HGI Rockville! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms, complimentary high-speed internet and flat screen HD TVs. Also, it's great that you and your son had the opportunity to enjoy our fitness center and indoor pool! I'm glad that you were satisfied with your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Waterville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

It was our first visit to Rockville and we found The Hilton Garden Inn online. The hotel was very clean and the employees were exceptionally helpful, professional and cordial. Our bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast in the restaurant had several selections and the employees made sure it was fixed exactly to the customer's liking.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI during your first trip to Rockville! We appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy that you had an enjoyable experience and found our hotel to be clean, team members to be exceptionally helpful and bed to be comfortable. It's also great that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet with made to order selections prepared by our culinary team. Thank again, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back during your second trip to Rockville!

Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Clean, nice, comfortable, friendly attentive staff, convenient, good price, good value, decent bar, decent breakfast, Wi-Fi good. But ...

1. The A/C was one of those stupid ones that makes it think you can control it, but you really can't get it to do exactly what you want. I want the fan on all the time when I'm asleep. Control apparently has a setting for this. But no. It cycles on and off as the A/C cycles. That interrupts my sleep and also let's the room get stuffy feeling when the compressor isn't running. Maybe it was just the one in my room. Fail.

2. Clock radio was one of those stupid ones where a guest can't set the time of day (just alarm time). Guess nobody told the clock that it shouldn't be set to the wrong time. Housekeeping should set the clock (however that is accomplished!) as part of their routine every dang day. Fail.

3. Large flat-screen TV was one of those stupid ones that doesn't work. Nothing. Wouldn't work via the remote nor the controls on the TV. Yes, it was plugged in. Fail.

The clock and TV really weren't needed on this trip, but their failure was annoying. Mentioned the issues to the desk upon check-out. Apologies and promise to cut the bill by $25. We'll see.

Nice place, but theses mechanical issues really aren't acceptable. Takes the housekeeper or engineer almost exactly 1 minute per room to check on these things. Do it already.

Hello Even_Stephen,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the HGI Rockville. I'm happy that you found our hotel to be clean, staff to be friendly, and have good value. However, I'm sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay. The mechanical issues have a large impact on a guests' experience, and I apologize that we failed to ensure a peaceful rest due to the A/C unit, that we failed to set the clock-radio at the proper time, and that we failed to check that your TV was working properly prior to your arrival. We strive to deliver a seamless overall experience, and I'm sorry we were unable to deliver that experience. We do appreciate your feedback as it will only help us to improve our services moving forward. Thank you again, and have a great day!

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent four nights here. The hotel is right off of I-270 and near a lot of shopping and restaurants. It shares an entrance with a Hilton Homewood Suites, but both are run separately with their own lobbies. The Garden Inn's lobby is lovely, with dining areas pleasantly sectioned into breakfast, dining room & bar. Desk service was first rate as were all of our dining experiences - breakfast each morning plus cocktails and snacks one evening. Full breakfast was included in our room rate, but we choose not to order any grill items during our stay. Servers brought coffee and juice and my sense was that they would have brought any other items from the cold breakfast bar had we asked. Cold breakfast included delicious oatmeal and fresh cut fruit. We found the service very,very good - just not sure I would have paid for breakfast there had it not been included.
We checked out the other public areas - pool, etc. - and all looked quite nice.
Our room was on the 6th floor. Very quiet. The A/C unit was maybe a bit old - it ran, and then it didn't, it ran, and then it didn't --- but we slept ok even so.
What was a bit of a surprise was the quality of housekeeping. It just wasn't up to the standards of other Hilton Garden Inns. We were gone from our room most of each day and we didn't leave piles of clothes or pizza boxes stuffing the waste cans, just a couple of overnight bags. (Although there was an empty pizza box parked at the vending machines for 3 of the nights we were there.) Still, housekeeping didn't replace wash clothes after we used the two provided, didn't replenish toiletries (it's hard to stretch that little shampoo over 4 nights), didn't seem to do much other than throw the coverlet over the bed. We pulled up the fitted sheet on the 1st night to reset the mattress dials and the fitted sheet corners stayed where we left them for the rest of our stay. I mean, we didn't ask for any linen changes, so why not make up the bed?
Ok, this is all small & I don't usually whine about this stuff. But, ya know, we stay at a lot of Hilton Garden Inns, so when one doesn't measure up in the housekeeping department, well, we notice.
Seems like a smart management team. Bet it will have improved when we return this winter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear MichiganCookies,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, well-appointed lobby and restaurant, and excellent service from our front desk and restaurant team members. I apologize for the issue with the A/C unit, but I appreciate your input and we will certainly address with our maintenance team to ensure it is functioning properly. Thank you for your feedback regarding housekeeping, and I'm sorry that we failed to provide the excellent housekeeping service that HGI is known for, and that our guests deserve. It is the small things that can impact an experience, and your feedback will definitely help our hotel improve s hugely important area of our overall service. Thank you again, and we certainly will have improved well before your next visit to our hotel. Have a great day!

Michael Anderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!