“Great, except ...” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Knoxville, TN
“Great, except ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Clean, nice, comfortable, friendly attentive staff, convenient, good price, good value, decent bar, decent breakfast, Wi-Fi good. But ...

1. The A/C was one of those stupid ones that makes it think you can control it, but you really can't get it to do exactly what you want. I want the fan on all the time when I'm asleep. Control apparently has a setting for this. But no. It cycles on and off as the A/C cycles. That interrupts my sleep and also let's the room get stuffy feeling when the compressor isn't running. Maybe it was just the one in my room. Fail.

2. Clock radio was one of those stupid ones where a guest can't set the time of day (just alarm time). Guess nobody told the clock that it shouldn't be set to the wrong time. Housekeeping should set the clock (however that is accomplished!) as part of their routine every dang day. Fail.

3. Large flat-screen TV was one of those stupid ones that doesn't work. Nothing. Wouldn't work via the remote nor the controls on the TV. Yes, it was plugged in. Fail.

The clock and TV really weren't needed on this trip, but their failure was annoying. Mentioned the issues to the desk upon check-out. Apologies and promise to cut the bill by $25. We'll see.

Nice place, but theses mechanical issues really aren't acceptable. Takes the housekeeper or engineer almost exactly 1 minute per room to check on these things. Do it already.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello Even_Stephen,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the HGI Rockville. I'm happy that you found our hotel to be clean, staff to be friendly, and have good value. However, I'm sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay. The mechanical issues have a large impact on a guests' experience, and I apologize that we failed to ensure a peaceful rest due to the A/C unit, that we failed to set the clock-radio at the proper time, and that we failed to check that your TV was working properly prior to your arrival. We strive to deliver a seamless overall experience, and I'm sorry we were unable to deliver that experience. We do appreciate your feedback as it will only help us to improve our services moving forward. Thank you again, and have a great day!

Michael Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent four nights here. The hotel is right off of I-270 and near a lot of shopping and restaurants. It shares an entrance with a Hilton Homewood Suites, but both are run separately with their own lobbies. The Garden Inn's lobby is lovely, with dining areas pleasantly sectioned into breakfast, dining room & bar. Desk service was first rate as were all of our dining experiences - breakfast each morning plus cocktails and snacks one evening. Full breakfast was included in our room rate, but we choose not to order any grill items during our stay. Servers brought coffee and juice and my sense was that they would have brought any other items from the cold breakfast bar had we asked. Cold breakfast included delicious oatmeal and fresh cut fruit. We found the service very,very good - just not sure I would have paid for breakfast there had it not been included.
We checked out the other public areas - pool, etc. - and all looked quite nice.
Our room was on the 6th floor. Very quiet. The A/C unit was maybe a bit old - it ran, and then it didn't, it ran, and then it didn't --- but we slept ok even so.
What was a bit of a surprise was the quality of housekeeping. It just wasn't up to the standards of other Hilton Garden Inns. We were gone from our room most of each day and we didn't leave piles of clothes or pizza boxes stuffing the waste cans, just a couple of overnight bags. (Although there was an empty pizza box parked at the vending machines for 3 of the nights we were there.) Still, housekeeping didn't replace wash clothes after we used the two provided, didn't replenish toiletries (it's hard to stretch that little shampoo over 4 nights), didn't seem to do much other than throw the coverlet over the bed. We pulled up the fitted sheet on the 1st night to reset the mattress dials and the fitted sheet corners stayed where we left them for the rest of our stay. I mean, we didn't ask for any linen changes, so why not make up the bed?
Ok, this is all small & I don't usually whine about this stuff. But, ya know, we stay at a lot of Hilton Garden Inns, so when one doesn't measure up in the housekeeping department, well, we notice.
Seems like a smart management team. Bet it will have improved when we return this winter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear MichiganCookies,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, well-appointed lobby and restaurant, and excellent service from our front desk and restaurant team members. I apologize for the issue with the A/C unit, but I appreciate your input and we will certainly address with our maintenance team to ensure it is functioning properly. Thank you for your feedback regarding housekeeping, and I'm sorry that we failed to provide the excellent housekeeping service that HGI is known for, and that our guests deserve. It is the small things that can impact an experience, and your feedback will definitely help our hotel improve s hugely important area of our overall service. Thank you again, and we certainly will have improved well before your next visit to our hotel. Have a great day!

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed for a weekend. Lovely accomodations. Clean, orderly, comfortable. I was a little Leary after seeing some reviews, but was more than pleasantly surprised. Staff was pleasant. The only thing I (along with others) found a little confusing was the breakfast set up. Its part service and part self serve. The staff was accommodating if asked, but we weren't sure which part of the breakfast we were supposed to get. Also, I don't think leaving out a hot waffle maker is a great idea. First of all, most people can't operate commercial equipment, secondly, not a great idea with children present. Not a big deal, but felt the system could be improved upon. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pam M,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel and for choosing to stay with us! I'm very happy that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable accommodations and pleasant staff. I apologize if our breakfast service was a bit confusing, but I appreciate your input and we will continue to train our team members in delivering a clear message to our guests when dining for breakfast. Also, the waffle maker is a signature item for Hilton Garden Inn, and it's similar to home products, making it easy to enjoy your favorite waffle! We of course are happy to prepare it for you as well! Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Milford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was in town for a family wedding celebration and this was the group hotel. The price was excellent. The hotel appears to be new. Rooms were roomy and nicely appointed. Hotel staff was extremely polite and helpful. Restaurant staff at breakfast was rather slow. We had to seek them out. One staffer spent some time holding my breakfast while she talked to a co-worker for a while before delivering it. I'd stay at the hotel again but I wouldn't eat there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Dear ginstar_555,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the HGI Rockville. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious, well-appointed rooms and excellent price. I apologize for the service issue you experienced in our restaurant. We pride ourselves on delivering friendly, efficient service throughout the entire hotel, and we will continue to work hard on training to ensure we deliver exceptional service to every guest! Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are traveling to the area.

Chesapeake, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a very nice hotel and I will definitely stay here again. The beds are comfortable and rooms clean. I had dinner in their American Grille and it was delicious. The breakfast buffet was also very good. Price for the food was not outrageous. Just down the road there is a nice shopping center with great places to eat like Panera Bread.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Teresa L,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, clean rooms, delicious food and convenient location. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while on business in the DC area. The hotel was easy to find with plenty of parking. Upon check in,I was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. The hotel seemed relatively new with a warmly decorated lobby and restaurant area. Most importantly, the room was very comfortable and immaculate. All in all, an excellent experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hello Ken V,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville during your recent business trip to the area. We appreciate your feedback, and I'm happy to hear that you warmly greeted by our friendly front desk staff and that you enjoyed or lobby and restaurant design (and yes, our property is just over 3 years old). Also, it's that you found your room to be comfortable and immaculate. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting the DC area so we can deliver another excellent experience!

Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel was very nice. The beds were really comfortable and the room was very spacious. The front desk staff and restaurant staff were very courteous. The only complaint was that I asked for a toothbrush and it was never delivered. Also there was a stain on one of the bathroom towels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Katie A,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the HGI Rockville! We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I'm very happy to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable, rooms to be spacious, and staff to be courteous. I apologize that we did not deliver on your request, but I appreciate the feedback so we can ensure it does not happen again. Also, I'm sorry that there was a stain on one of your towels. We strive to closely inspect every piece of linen before it is sent to the rooms, and we will be sure to readdress with our team and only deliver crisp, clean, spotless linens! Thank you again for your feedback, and certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Michael Anderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!