“HGI, good but not quite great....” 3 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mississippi
“HGI, good but not quite great....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was my second stay at HGI in Rockville. As mentioned in other reviews, this is a fairly new hotel; the staff is pleasant and business-like, but I wouldn't describe them as overly "friendly." The rooms are clean and comfortable, with refrigerators. microwaves and comfortable beds. My room was missing a trash receptacle in the bathroom, a minor inconvenience. As mentioned by others, the air conditioning system is noisy, and very noticeable when it cycles during the night. The wall controls seem to have no effect on the system; lowering the temperature to 65 didn't seem to turn it on and the system cycled on at random times on it's own initiative.

I was disappointed on one day of my stay to return to my room at 5:30 pm and find the room unmade (I had left for a business meeting before 8 am). The front desk wasn't overly concerned when I called, saying "we sometimes aren't able to make up the rooms till 5:30 or later". I had expected an apology rather than an excuse. I must say that I haven't experienced this problem at other Hilton properties; other reviews of this hotel have mentioned the sometimes tardy room servicing, so I assume this is an isolated problem for this property.

All-in-all, I would rate this HGI as good but not great hotel; if the location and the price meet your needs it would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear steve_in_ms,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg. Our goal is to have each of our guests rate us as a 5 out of 5 each time they visit our property. Although I see there were positive aspects of your stay, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your time with us. We will use your feedback to improve our guest experience, and see to it that any and all issues you experienced are resolved for future guests of our hotel.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future trips to the Rockville-Gaithersburg area, as I would be delighted to personally ensure you expectations are exceeded on your next trip to our hotel.

Thank you for your time and feedback, and have a fantastic summer!

Michael Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Once again my expectations have been exceeded by a "business hotel" located in the greater washington area. This hotel, which is close to rte 270 as well as many restuarants and bars, was so nice I wanted to stay an extra night. The entire "feel" of the hotel was like a 4 star experience; from the modern lobby to the immaculate hotel floors and rooms. This hotel offered free lemonade and coffee as well as cookies to its guests. There is also an outside area connected to the lobby bar that actually turned out to be lively. My room was larger than most and I did not feel crampted at all. The bathroom was clean and the hotel offered a refrigerator and microwave if needed. The intered was free, wired, and fast and the work are was large. So for $129 a night I got a $229 experience. With that said I will definitely repeat the visit next time I am in this area.

Dear jrman66,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience here at The Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg. I appreciate you sharing your comments with not only our hotel and team members, but also future and prospective guests of our property as well. We strive to create the best possible experience for each and every one of our guests, and it is truly rewarding to hear when we have created a loyal guest of our hotel.

I would like to invite you to return to stay with us on any future travels to the Rockville-Gaithersburg area.

Thank you again for your time and feedback. Enjoy your summer and safe travels!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 6nights on my husband family reunion trip. The staff were very nice and friendly especially a breakfast attendant (Ms.Tayo) and the person who check me in. The hotel itself was very beautiful. I was very impress about housekeeper who clean my room because I walked by the hallway and told her not to put conditioner in room and put extra towels. She completed all my requested until I checked out. I stayed many hotel in USA. I can say this is the first hotel that pay attention all detail and care about guest. It's superb. I m sure I will be back there on my next trip. Great job!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear koravee x,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg as your host hotel while traveling while visiting for a family reunion here in the Rockville area. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience, and single out specific staff members that provided exceptional service. If your travels for any reason should bring you back to the Rockville area, we would be delighted to be your preferred property in the area.

Thank you for your valued feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for six nights with our 15-month-old baby. The staff were unfailingly helpful: efficiently sorting out a problem with our initial reservation, arranging a late check-out where we could use the hotel pool even after we checked out, and running us to and from Shady Grove Metro station and the nearby Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg (shopping & leisure complex) on the complimentary shuttle minibus.

Because of the shuttle bus to the Metro we were able to visit Washington DC's museums, despite Rockville being some distance from downtown DC.

So many of the staff were friendly and nice to our baby son - such as the breakfast waiter who appeared with glove puppets on each hand one morning. It's unfair to single out any individual as they were all helpful but I'd like to thank Mike for helping sort out the initial confusion with our reservation, which was welcome as we arrived from an eight-hour flight from London.

The air conditioning unit in the room is quite noisy although I didn't mind this as it creates a 'white noise' effect at night, blocking out any sounds from the corridor or adjacent rooms that might otherwise have been disruptive.

The immediate surrounding area near the hotel has a good children's play area (including baby-sized swings) and there is also a small shopping square with a Safeway, Starbucks, Panera (restaurant & sandwich take-out), ATMs, etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 211 is a very large suite.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear d0gwalker,

Thank you for choosing The Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg on your recent trip to the area. As a valued guest, I appreciate you taking time out of day to let us know about your experience while at our property. I am glad to hear of the many positive impressions you have of our hotel, including our hotel shuttle service, the helpfulness of hotel staff, and the location of the hotel within the local area.

Thank you again for your time and feedback, and I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Rockville-Gaithersburg area.

Southern Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It's a fairly new hotel - big & attached with a Homewood Suites by Hilton so you have two nice choices. It was simple but neat & clean and the front desk staff, especially Colin, were very efficient and professional. We had two queen beds and the room while not as big as some was quite adequate and again very neat & clean as was the bathroom. It is a "green" hotel with energy-efficient ideas which controlled the lights, tv, etc. in your room. However, the a/c in the hallways and throughout the hotel blasted all day/night and that part was absolutely freezing. Makes one wonder about being "green." The heated indoor pool/whirlpool was quite nice after a long day. No free breakfast of course but they did have a breakfast buffet which we did not take advantage of but we heard it was good and not too expensive. All-in-all, a good stay and would stay here again when in Rockville.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and all was well...
Dear BessieKM,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg on your recent trip to the area. I am pleased to see that our staff provided exceptional service during your time with us, and especially appreciate your recognition of our Guest Service Representative Collin for providing efficient and professional service. I also wanted to thank you for recognizing our various "green" initiatives including our in in room energy management system, and our uniqure dual property design as positive aspects of our property.

My hope is that we have the opportunity to be your host property on your next visit to the Rockville-Gaithersburg area.

Thank you again for your time and feedback, and I hope you have a great summer season.

Japan/US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed there over the Memorial Day weekend and given the very reasonable prices, were expecting the Holiday Inn Express" type of a generic establishment. However, we were proven wrong immediately: the lobby was simply, but elegantly furnished, the front desk staff was knowledgeable and efficient, the hallways cheerful and well lit. The room took it a notch higher: it was nicely appointed, welcoming and impeccably clean; the bed was extremely comfortable, along with everything on it, such as the pillows and the duvet. The soap and other toiletries smelled great; the room had everything one could more or less, and what it didn't (such as a razor or a comb), the front desk staff provided for us. I would say this hotel deftly walks the very tricky and fine line between efficiency and comfort.

It was also very nice of the staff to hand out towels to the guests who had just come in from the pouring rain. In general, it would be nice if they smiled more, but one can't fault their efficiency.

The only (very minor) issues were: the inability to close the drapes completely, a rather noisy air conditioner and the absence of a bathtub (a low pressure shower instead--but maybe that's due to the hotel's "green" policy). Nevertheless, we look back on our stay at Hilton Garden Inn with great pleasure, and if we ever visit the DC area again, will make sure to stay there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear kevtak1,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg during your Memorial Day visit to the area. I am very pleased to see that our hotel and team were able to exceed your expectations during your time with us. Our goal is to ensure each of our guests have the best possible experience at our property, and we achieve this through our level of service and accomodations. Also, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of your in room drapes, and air conditioning unit.

Thank you for your time and feedback, and I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Washington, D.C. area.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Always likebto stay here when I am in Rockville. You know what you are getting its consistently nice and clean and comfy. Breakfasts are good but dinner not so much. Bar prices are excessive considering locale. Need a car to get to decent restaurants. Hotel is getting more popular so harder to book. Impossible to get into Homewood which literally adjoins.

Room Tip: If you are on the road side and like to sleep with the window open the property is across from a hos...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
fallsgroveteam, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Barbara D,

I wanted to thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton Garden Inn Rockville-Gaithersburg. There is no greater compliment than returning to stay with us each time you are in the area. We appreciate your business and wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for future guests of our hotel.

Our goal is to consistently exceed your expectations. If there is anything I can do to make our property better for you or our valued guests, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Michael Anderson

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockville - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!