“Consistently very good but was noisy this time” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Potomac
“Consistently very good but was noisy this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've been there at least five times and have always considered it a dining experience rather than just a place to eat. Fresh ingredients are important to them and you can taste it. Service has always been very good also. Last night we went with another couple and three tables away was a loud threesome. Noise really carries in their main small room and it simply was hard to hear. The mussels were outstanding and the swordfish was very good as was the vegetable pairing which came with it. Luckily the noisy couple left soon afterwards. When my wife and I pay over $150 in a restaurant the noise level has to be considered part of the meal which is why I can't rate it as excellent

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Maryland
“Used to be my hands down favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

not as good on last two visits. great burger, mussels, deessert is usually worth the calories. Kitchen seems to be slipping a little in terms of presentation and caring service. Still like it...but no raves this time.

Visited January 2013
Berlin, Germany
“A gem where you least expect it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Visiting fellow publishers near the Medical Center in Bethesda, and we went to this place which is in a house along a busy road. The interior is bright and cheery, and the staff friendly and efficient. I was expecting Good, but not particularly exciting American classics, but was pleasantly surprised by an interesting menu. I had the special soup which was a modern twist on borschcht with cabbages, but extremely tasty. I had the special pulled pork-type sandwich, which was also excellent.

Jerusalem, Israel
“GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This small restaurant has a lovely atmosphere. It is small, which means that it can be a bit noisy, but the feeling is one of warmth and coziness. The menu has steak, hamburger, several fish options, pork and a pasta dish. Ther appetizers are also very interesting . This is very good American cooking. We found the staff to be very attentive, always filling our water, coke, etc. They explained the dishes and offered helpful suggestions. There is no liquor, only wine.
Be sure to make reservations, as the space is not huge and the restaurant was full. I have only been for dinner, but others say lunch is also a very good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
silver spring, md
“Good food, very good service, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This restaurant is located on the Rockville Pike in a small, nicely-decorated house. The ambiance is intimate and comfortable. The service is very prompt and very efficient (I would have preferred it to have been a little bit more friendly).

We dined on a Tuesday night and were pleasantly surprised to find out that bottles of wine were half-priced. We drank a delightful bottle of Malbec for only $20. My wife and I shared a Caesar salad, which was very tasty with a fair amount of shaved parmesan, toasted croutons and very fresh white anchovies. My wife ordered the roasted chicken (with polenta and leeks), while I ordered the sautéed trout (with Yukon gold potato gallette, egg salad, smoked trout roe, and grilled scallions). We both felt that the sides were very good and a little bit out of the ordinary. However, we also felt that the chicken and trout were a little bit on the bland side.

All in all, I'd say that it's a good place to eat, because of the ambiance and side dishes, and because the prices are reasonable.

• Visited March 2013