“Crown Plaza outside DC” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grove City, PA
“Crown Plaza outside DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Nice hotel, shuttle to ShadyGrove Metro starting at 7:00am. Friendly driver. Friendly staff but not enough of them. Front desk was one person and also took reservation and answered calls did check-ins. Rooms need some deep cleaning. Restaurant is fair.

• Stayed May 2014
Amit P, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor on Crowne Plaza Washington D.C. - Rockville!

The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the positive remarks on our hotel and staff. However we are disappointed to learn of your experience with regard to our rooms. Please be assured that the points you have raised have been taken seriously and raised with our Management. Feel free to contact to let me or the Manager on Duty know what we could do to move you to a 5 Star review. We look forward to making your next stay even more memorable.

Amit P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

First time staying at this property - room was clean, comfortable bed, and nicely appointed washroom. I enjoyed the Buffet Breakfast, and Fitness Center was clean, well lit, and equipment was in good working condition. Most importantly, service staff was attentive and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Earl R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

Rest assured i will share your comments with our team

Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed here recently (April 2014) for a business trip. The hotel is tricky to find to start out with as the sign is very small - I passed it as I pulled down the street. I was told before the trip by my company that they needed a card to charge for any incidentals. I got checked in and they swiped my card... shortly after, I got a message from my bank saying the FULL AMOUNT OF THE ROOM was charged to my card!!! It was supposed to be charged to my company's account, not mine! I went back to the front desk and told them this and both girls working looked at the computer and said, "Ohhhhh! ..... Well, it's just a hold and it will go back on once you check out." I told them that was $300+ that I needed to use to travel back home and that it wasn't acceptable. Upon checking out, I mentioned the same thing to the girl at the desk and she apologized, but no one offered any type of compensation for the error. (Not good customer service in my humble opinion)

My room was spacious and clean (except for a few stray hairs - two in the bathroom and one on the bed), HOWEVER, the window opened up to the second floor ballroom - I had no privacy with the window open! WHO DESIGNS A HOTEL LIKE THAT?!?! The noise from the dining area on the first floor carries through to the rooms with windows like mine. If you stay here, ask for a second or third story room on the outside of the building, unless you don't mind random strangers looking in your windows.

The bed was too soft for my comfort level and there are no power outlets near the bed - that's one of my biggest complaints about many hotels. There was also no fridge or microwave in the room. I didn't bother eating there as there was no complimentary breakfast.

Overall it was an OK place to stay, but I'm sure there are better hotels in the area. I would not recommend this one.

Room Tip: Again, IF you decide on this one, ask for a room that faces the outside, not the ballroom. There'...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Earl R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry that you credit card was charged. You are absolutely correct, we had your companies credit card on file for room and tax and that is what should have happened. Rest assured I will address this issue with our front desk agents and make the necessary changes.

Sincerely

Earl Raven
Huntington, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel on a repeat basis. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfy (particularly beds and bedding). Bathrooms are well lit and appointed. Most important, the manager and his staff can't do enough to make your experience terrific. Two thumbs up for the Crowne Plaza in Rockville.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

Rest assured i will share your comments with our team and we hope to see you again!

New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My recent stay at Crowne Plaza was amazing.

Upom arrival, Himani was most welcoming as well as informative about the services, hours of the restaurant and information on the breakfast buffet. For someone coming into a hotel, this information is important and creates an immediate sense of familiarity - a good thing for a traveler. After processing my check in and issuing me a room with a queen size bed - I commented to Himani that next time I'll be sure to get a room with two beds - it was a little more spacious and convenient for my little grandson, should he visit. Himani offered to check if such a room was available and presto - I got my two beds!
Throughout my visit, Himani also assisted me with additional requests, needs and information - always with a most friendly, courteous and professional attitude.

The care, attention, and full measure that you give to your guests make a difference.
Himani most certainly sets the bar.
Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Amit P, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Jackie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your experience here at The Crowne Plaza Washington D.C - Rockville! We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay and that you were so impressed with Ms. Himani! She does an outstanding job of taking care of her guest from start to finish!!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!

Amit P
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our family stayed 2 nights over the weekend. Our stay was terrible. Our room had practically no sound insulation from other rooms. We did not hear any outside/street noise. However, we were bothered greatly by noises from rooms next to us. My experience with noise from other rooms was the worst among my hotels stays.

On the first evening, we could hear the guest in the next room making phone calls. We could even hear the person he was talking via the wall. It was a long conversation. We also intermittently heard a group of teenagers' excitements near us. Thankfully, every one rested sround 11PM.

The second night, guests in the next room had heated conversation. It was loud and continuous. We called the front desk and complained at 1AM. Hotel staff probably did not do anything. At 2:30AM, we were awoken by loud door opening/closing noise. Guests next door left their room. One of them shouted loudly in the hallway:: "(name), did you bring your purse?". They came back at 3AM. We heard four more loud noises from door opening and closing.

Other than our bad experience with the noise from next door. The hotel looked nice. Room was spacious and nicely decorated. Room was clean. Beds wee comfortable. Staff was friendly.

However, we will definitely not come back again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback on your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Washington D.C Rockville. We appreciate the time you've taken to share about your experience on TripAdvisor.

Unfortunately, we do get noisy guests from time to time and I am sorry that you had to deal with that. We can assure you that we do follow up on noise complaints and the sooner the guest can reach out to a staff member the sooner we can try to address the issue.

We do appreciate you offering some positive points regarding the hotel and staff. May you need any further assistance in planning your trip to Rockville, please do not hesitate to contact me or the Manager on Duty directly, so that we may overlook your booking personally. We look forward to speaking with you in due course.

Amit P
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here the weekend of April 11-14 in a double bed suite (room 308). The first comment I have to make is that the suite is a fairly good size. I did not in any way feel cramped. Desk and table space seemed abundant. The room was very clean and free of any unusual smells. Chairs, couch, and beds were very comfortable. One thing I really liked was having doors on the bedroom. Some suites we have stayed at do not have the beds in a separate room. Here, with the doors closed, the bedroom was insulated from both light and noise.

The room had a "Kitchen" section about 8 ft long which included a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and sink (no stove, utensils, or dishes). Electrical outlets throughout the suite seemed plentiful, and we took advantage charging up computers, ipads, phones, etc. The wireless worked just fine and was easy to set up. It did seem to require we log in each time the ipad powered off, but that didn't seem too annoying. There were 2 TVs - one in each room (which we never got around to using). The room was exceptionally quiet. I don't know if all the suites are the same, but this room in particular had no outside walls. We had a huge window at the end of each room that overlooked the ballroom on the 2nd floor below. Ample light came in through the skylight over the ballroom. The kitchen could have used a bit more light. It seemed a little dim in there.

Bathroom

I was glad to find a working tub - so you can actually take a bath as opposed to just a shower. I have stayed in many a hotel where this was not the case. Overall the shower was clean. There is a fairly large counter top next to the sink so there is plenty of space to set your clean clothing down without the need to put it on the floor. There was also an extra roll of TP stored under the sink. Toilets seemed a little unusual. I guess that is part of going "green". Each time you flush, it sounds like a torpedo being launched. There was also an ironing board, makeup mirror, and hair dryer. The shampoo was just OK. We mostly used our own.

General

There is a small store with various items next to the check in counter. The coffee there is complimentary. Access to this hotel can take a little patience in heavy traffic. If you approach from Rt 270, you will need to make a left turn. However, there is a turn arrow on the light. Parking is free. In some hotels closer to DC you may end up spending almost as much for parking as a night's stay if you have multiple cars or if you stay multiple nights.

Free shuttle to the Metro

This was probably our worst experience of the entire stay. There is a free shuttle, and the drivers seem very professional and courteous. We had no problem being taken to the Metro. However when we came back we called the number given to us by the driver that morning. It is just a general hotel number and if the people at the desk are busy, nobody will answer it. So you just listen to a recording that says all their staff are currently busy, but stay on the line and someone will answer. I called over and over until my phone went dead. Then my wife called and after several attempts, she finally did get a response. I think the total time from when we first called until a shuttle arrived was almost an hour, and the sun had set and the temperature was dropping. And the hotel is only a mile or two away. At the time I was so annoyed I swore I would make this a one star rating, but the next day, looking back, it wasn't that bad of an experience. However, one of the reasons we picked this hotel was because of the free shuttle. I think they should probably have a direct line for the shuttle to avoid this problem.

The bottom line

Unless the prices change, we will almost certainly be staying here again next month.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room - no outside walls if you want quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

All the best

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!