“Stay at Crowne Plaza in Rockville” 5 of 5 stars

Weekend Savings!
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Stay at Crowne Plaza in Rockville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I must say that I had an excellent experience during my stay at Crowne Plaza. The lobby area and ballrooms were spacious and well-decorated with nice large comfortable chairs throughout. The staff was very friendly, especially Ahmet. He exhibited exemplary professional and customer service. The waiters/waitresses at the bistro were also very good. I didn't order too much food there, just a hamburger, but the menu offers a nice selection, including steaks and seafood. Whenever I needed room service or cleaning service it was always completed promptly and thoroughly. Overall, it was a great stay and I recommend it for those planning to travel to the Rockville/Gaithersburg area

Room Tip: Chose a room with a nice outdoor view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I attended a scrapbooking event at the Crowne Plaza last weekend. I live locally, but a friend from Baltimore and I stayed in a standard room for two nights. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The room itself was lovely and very clean. The room felt quite spacious compared to many chain hotels, and was very quiet. Our event utilized the ballroom and a number of meeting rooms, and all were well-appointed. The ballroom was a bit warm compared to the rest of the hotel, but that may have been at the request of the event organizer. Our group had meals in the hotel's "Terrace," and everything I tried was tasty. I must sing the praises of the bacon in particular! :) Bacon was included in one of our breakfast buffets, and it's quite possibly the best bacon I've had in years. Complements to the chef and kitchen staff! The only reason I'm rating the Crowne Plaza "very good" rather than "excellent" is that the layout isn't particularly easy to navigate. I'm thinking that if I used a wheelchair or couldn't walk steps for some reason, I might have been a bit *irritated* by the lay-out, particularly the ground floor. It would also be nice to have automatic doors leading to the parking lot. When you're schlepping in a ton of scrapbooking materials (or other baggage), it's inconvenient to stop and have to put something down in order to open the door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our family lives in Southwest Virginia and we visit D.C. and maryland area 2 to 3 times a year because we have relatives and friends there. This hotel has been the No. 1 choice for our family each time we are in that area. We all love it -- especially the suite! Nice room and clean beds, at great price! I also like to give our thanks to the front store manager, Mr. Amit Puri. Every time when we stay there, he has helped us very friendly and in a professional way. We truely appreciate it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

There's nothing particularly wrong with this place, but it got so many small negative things going for it, it manages to create a bad impression for itself over non-issues. Although - let me repeat it - this is a pretty solid place, and I have no major complaints. But minor stuff... Oh, minor stuff...
Let's start with the location. The hotel is in the middle of "high-tech park" (cluster of office buildings 1-4 stories high), and my GPS (TomTom) led me to the point where Research court turns NW (about 200m/600ft from the hotel's true location). Considering that it was a winter night and the hotel building is obscured by mature trees, that was (although not exactly hotel's fault) a bit disappointed. And now about hotel's fault - this place has no sign to speak of, rather a small (size of rural mailbox) roadside plate. We did find the place pretty quickly (drove slowly along the Research court until my wife managed to locate the roadside mini-sign), but it sort of set the template for the whole affair.
Check-in was pretty quick and efficient. However, despite us having booked a room (breakfast included) for 2 adults and 2 children, we were given 2 breakfast vouchers per day and told that this is the hotel's policy. What? My reservation clearly spelled "2 adults, 2 children Free breakfast". I tried to point it out to the check-in clerk, but he didn't budge. No biggie, but annoying.
On to the room. Now, the hotel IS beige. Very beige. Beige furniture, beige walls, golden/beige decor in the corridor. Not a big thing, but a bit depressing. A touch of non-beige color would go a long way. Other than the color scheme, the room is OK. Good size, furniture is in good condition, there's a biggish flatscreen TV. Bathroom is OK too. Everything is clean. Beds are double (not queen), but mattresses and pillows are good. We spent several days there, and have no complaints about the housekeeping.
Breakfast is OK too. Again, as other things in this place, quality is not consistent (nice selection of Mighty Leaf teas and awful coffee), but generally acceptable. Hot breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, porridge, waffles/pancakes, fruit salad, OJ, some pastries. Friendly attendants/waiters. My only complain is that the breakfast area was cold. We did stay in the beginning of the Polar Vortex, though, so it might be non-issue during more normal times.
Location, once you know where to find the place, is OK too. Close to I-270, but quiet. The area is empty after hours, though.
So, this is an OK place, if you can find it and live with 2 breakfast vouchers per room booked for 4 persons. I would NOT recommend it, but would not object to a friend staying there, if necessary.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Earl R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest

I wanted to thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
It seems that despite a few flaws you picked out, we are on your OK list
Indeed our hotel is off the beaten track by 1/4 of a mile, but, we think it's a diamond in the rough.
I noticed your note regarding the breakfast package. All of our breakfast packages are for up to two adults per room only. If you did read this somewhere, I would appreciative it if you would let me know where?

We wish you and your family all the very best in 2014

Earl Raven
Shamong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have stayed in approximately a dozen different hotels in the Rockville/Bethesda area, and the Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville offers the best value in the area for a business traveler who is budget conscious. The staff is very friendly, especially Raz at the front desk, and the beds are comfortable. They have a good menu and are very conviently located right off of Rt. 270 on Shady Grove Road. They have several complementary wireless access points, although the bandwidth varies depending on the number of users (this is true almost anywhere).

Room Tip: If there is an event, ask for a room facing the outside instead of the interior ballroom.
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mount Prospect Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was in town less than twenty four hours for a family event so I did not need much. This hotel exceeded my expectations even though I have stayed at other Crowne Plaza Hotels. Hotel and room were clean and very nicely decorated. I had a small problem with room key - staff resolved problem in a warm and professional way. Staff that I interacted with were very very pleasant. Overall - a very nice experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Brunswick, Md.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times. We have never been disappointed. The rooms are wonderful. We have stayed in a suite room as well as a regular room. All have met our expectations. The beds are very comfortable and afford a good nights sleep. The suite would be our first choice because, obviously, it has more room than a regular room. The staff have been very pleasant to work with.

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor are our preference. We have had rooms that we have to really 'wind aro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!