“Just Like at Home” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Roanoke, Virginia
“Just Like at Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our family lives in Southwest Virginia and we visit D.C. and maryland area 2 to 3 times a year because we have relatives and friends there. This hotel has been the No. 1 choice for our family each time we are in that area. We all love it -- especially the suite! Nice room and clean beds, at great price! I also like to give our thanks to the front store manager, Mr. Amit Puri. Every time when we stay there, he has helped us very friendly and in a professional way. We truely appreciate it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

There's nothing particularly wrong with this place, but it got so many small negative things going for it, it manages to create a bad impression for itself over non-issues. Although - let me repeat it - this is a pretty solid place, and I have no major complaints. But minor stuff... Oh, minor stuff...
Let's start with the location. The hotel is in the middle of "high-tech park" (cluster of office buildings 1-4 stories high), and my GPS (TomTom) led me to the point where Research court turns NW (about 200m/600ft from the hotel's true location). Considering that it was a winter night and the hotel building is obscured by mature trees, that was (although not exactly hotel's fault) a bit disappointed. And now about hotel's fault - this place has no sign to speak of, rather a small (size of rural mailbox) roadside plate. We did find the place pretty quickly (drove slowly along the Research court until my wife managed to locate the roadside mini-sign), but it sort of set the template for the whole affair.
Check-in was pretty quick and efficient. However, despite us having booked a room (breakfast included) for 2 adults and 2 children, we were given 2 breakfast vouchers per day and told that this is the hotel's policy. What? My reservation clearly spelled "2 adults, 2 children Free breakfast". I tried to point it out to the check-in clerk, but he didn't budge. No biggie, but annoying.
On to the room. Now, the hotel IS beige. Very beige. Beige furniture, beige walls, golden/beige decor in the corridor. Not a big thing, but a bit depressing. A touch of non-beige color would go a long way. Other than the color scheme, the room is OK. Good size, furniture is in good condition, there's a biggish flatscreen TV. Bathroom is OK too. Everything is clean. Beds are double (not queen), but mattresses and pillows are good. We spent several days there, and have no complaints about the housekeeping.
Breakfast is OK too. Again, as other things in this place, quality is not consistent (nice selection of Mighty Leaf teas and awful coffee), but generally acceptable. Hot breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, porridge, waffles/pancakes, fruit salad, OJ, some pastries. Friendly attendants/waiters. My only complain is that the breakfast area was cold. We did stay in the beginning of the Polar Vortex, though, so it might be non-issue during more normal times.
Location, once you know where to find the place, is OK too. Close to I-270, but quiet. The area is empty after hours, though.
So, this is an OK place, if you can find it and live with 2 breakfast vouchers per room booked for 4 persons. I would NOT recommend it, but would not object to a friend staying there, if necessary.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Earl R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest

I wanted to thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
It seems that despite a few flaws you picked out, we are on your OK list
Indeed our hotel is off the beaten track by 1/4 of a mile, but, we think it's a diamond in the rough.
I noticed your note regarding the breakfast package. All of our breakfast packages are for up to two adults per room only. If you did read this somewhere, I would appreciative it if you would let me know where?

We wish you and your family all the very best in 2014

Earl Raven
Shamong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have stayed in approximately a dozen different hotels in the Rockville/Bethesda area, and the Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville offers the best value in the area for a business traveler who is budget conscious. The staff is very friendly, especially Raz at the front desk, and the beds are comfortable. They have a good menu and are very conviently located right off of Rt. 270 on Shady Grove Road. They have several complementary wireless access points, although the bandwidth varies depending on the number of users (this is true almost anywhere).

Room Tip: If there is an event, ask for a room facing the outside instead of the interior ballroom.
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mount Prospect Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was in town less than twenty four hours for a family event so I did not need much. This hotel exceeded my expectations even though I have stayed at other Crowne Plaza Hotels. Hotel and room were clean and very nicely decorated. I had a small problem with room key - staff resolved problem in a warm and professional way. Staff that I interacted with were very very pleasant. Overall - a very nice experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Brunswick, Md.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times. We have never been disappointed. The rooms are wonderful. We have stayed in a suite room as well as a regular room. All have met our expectations. The beds are very comfortable and afford a good nights sleep. The suite would be our first choice because, obviously, it has more room than a regular room. The staff have been very pleasant to work with.

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor are our preference. We have had rooms that we have to really 'wind aro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We just returned from a stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rockville,
It was conveniently located off the main highway.
The room was deluxe. We had a suite that was so elegant and comfortable. Lots of things to make your stay comfortable including aromatherapy spa creams and spray!
The staff that we dealt with was Riz, who was a joy. She was not only helpful, but courteous, enjoyable, friendly and professional.
We would certainly return to the Crowne Plaza!

Room Tip: The suite was great!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say that I'm not the kind of person who like to spend time on the net to write long reviews except if it's really worth it and that hotel deserved a great review. I stayed only for 2 days so I didn't really ordered anything from the hotel but when I come in its smelled great and really clean and have great customer service plus malls and restaurants aren't too far from them but I would definitely go back there anytime and spend months there I love it. Also I went there on snowy days, it started snowing the day I came all day and the next morning everything was clean so customers wouldn't trip and fall or have a rough time driving around the hotel so they really value their customers. It's a really really great hotel just like I also love the Sheraton hotel.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!