“Nice, well-appointed, but fairly functional and lacking atmosphere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice, well-appointed, but fairly functional and lacking atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Ok I didn't really give this hotel much of a chance, arriving one evening and off the next morning, but its my second, maybe third time to stay there and my opinions remain the same. Its convenient (assuming you have a car), its cheaper than the equivalent facilities in the city would be, its well appointed in terms of facilities, a nice gym for example, good WiFi, but it lacks any kind of atmosphere. Its dar, lighting is low colours are heavy, lots of wines and dark blues giving a very brooding feel to the place.

And its empty. Almost completely empty. That's OK if that's what you want but it was beginning to feel a bit like the Marie Celeste ... hello, is there anybody there ?

And it was expensive, quite expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Amit P, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Trip advisor on Crowne Plaza Washington D.C.

It is very unfortunate though that we have not been able to impress you with a vibrant atmosphere. We sincerely hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back as our guest in order to proof to you that we can deliver excellent service and make your stay memorable in a positive way and above all a success.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion with us.

Best,

Amit P.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I choose the weekend of 11/16 to go chill for the evening with no stress. It had been a long emotional month and I just wanted to get away. So I drove 230 miles to Crowne Plaza to do just that. Great room, comfortable bed, great view. Love the relaxing products. Showered and in bed to watch tv. I heard little feet running up and down the hall repeatedly. So I thought somebody's parents would put them to bed but after 15 minutes I got up and told them to stop running in the hall. Nasty looks from the group but og well. Back to bed and whattttttttttttt. Fire alarm goes off, I grab my shoes and keys and down the stairs I went. It was cold and rainy. 15-20 minutes later we were allowed back in. Later back to bed and what happened, the fire alarm again. Up and out again. I must say I got no rest that night and feel as if I wasted my money. I had to stop 5 times on the way home because I was so tired. Money down the drain. Like I said I was looking farward to this evening but it did not turn out so great. I still let $10 for the maid. Wasnt their faults. Mary /// mjordan55@gmail.com

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Amit P, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Trip advisor on Crowne Plaza Washington D.C - Rockville!

We are very disappointed to read about your experience and we do apologize for the late night disturbance and fire alarm. Unfortunately when a fire alarm is activated our primary concern is the safety and security of our guests. Fortunately the alarms proved to be false but we can never under react to this event. We take the safety of our guests very seriously and we have a very comprehensive set of fire and safety procedures that we follow in the case of fire alarms.

Our sincere apologies for the disruption these procedures caused you during your stay we appreciate your understanding. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future and would be delighted if you were to contact me or the Manager on Duty directly, so that we may overlook your booking personally. We look forward to speaking with you in due course.

Best,

Amit P.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stay here once a year and have always had a great experience. The hotel is very clean and that is super important to me. Add to that great customer service and you have the perfect package. We have probably stayed on every floor of the hotel and never had a bad room. Love that the hotel has gone pet friendly!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel is write off the interstate. It was tucked away a little but great location. Rooms were very clean. Staff was nice and helpful. Although we didn't eat at the hotel they do have food and a bar. Rooms were very spacious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a very nice place with friendly staff always available for us.
Very spacious room with very fast wireless internet connection which is appreciated when it's time to complete some work after a long work day.
Restaurant offer good food in a good variety. My suggestion: the filet... Delicious!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A comfortable and friendly place to stay when in Rockville, although a bit out of the way for DC. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was delicious and reasonably priced. The hotel is just a bit dated but clean and looking OK. Some issues: Too much room deodorizer used. Parking lot occasionally full requiring parking out on the street. Closest Metro (Shady Grove) is a 10-15 minute drive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Laurel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This a very nice hotel. The check-in/check-out was quick and the attendant was nice. The bed was big and comfortable, the lounge chair was an added bonus. The shower and shower head were nice. Very spacious room. While the room was nice the location of the room was a bit offputting. The reason being I was located next to the Terrace which seemed to have some event going on each day which meant a lot of noise during the day. Thankfully, the noise didn't start to early and it ended at a reasonable hour. This hotel tended to stay cold, I guess because it is rather large and would make it hard to heat. The inside of the room was cold as well and at times I had to turn up the heat to 80 in order to get comfortable. There is only one elevator so if you are on the other end of the hotel or parked on the opposite end of the hotel it is a bit inconvenient. The breakfast buffet was horrible for the outrageous price of $10.99. The bacon was undercooked, the eggs/french toast okay, the potatoes were undercooked, the fruit was all bruised and the waitress was slow at bringing the check. There were some cereal and a few pasteries, but for $10.99 I would expect more. Room service was good and provided quick service. I had the salmon alfredo and it was delicious. It is a large hotel with a very nice gym area. Overall a nice place to stay and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms near the Terrace are noisy during the day.