“Enjoyable Stay” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ohio
“Enjoyable Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Recently stayed two nights at this hotel for business, and had an overall nice stay. Nice, modern decor.....wonderful food......and great location. My only complaint is that my room had a very musty/mildew type smell whenever the air conditioner was running. It almost smelled like there had been water damage at some point that had not been properly cleaned. I did not complain, but feel that staff would have been accommodating had I requested to move. Upon returning home, had to clean EVERYTHING.....clothes, bags, shoes, etc....to remove smell. Other than that....no complaints!

Room Tip: Say "no thank you" to room 279.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear kerust,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am very pleased you liked the modern decor and the great location of our property. Please allow me to apologize for the unusual smell you experienced in your room during your stay and any inconvenience caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. Thank you for staying with us.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

just fine - exactly what you should expect. The price is right. The breakfast is a little better than most hotels.

Sagamihara, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed a couple nights at this hotel as I was visiting relatives. Good rates, decent rooms. The bed's comforter is pretty amazing. Nice and thick, perfectly heavy enough - almost as heavy as the x-ray jacket the dentists put on you for your bitewing films. Great for a winter evening. Nothing to write home about, but room was decent. Internet was spotty. Food was good - didn't have it this time but last time I was here it was good. Something to note from last trip - I had a saloon room (I think that's the name of the room) - which was huge and ideal for families but had no outside facing windows - the windows faced the center of the building. When the bacon starts cooking for breakfast, we knew! The suite I had this time was pretty big as well. Room key didn't work (seems to be my luck with US-based Crowne Plazas) but the front desk guy told me the secret to getting it to work. Unfortunately, didn't work the second time around. Then at some point the front door to the building wasn't sliding open. Can't remember how that was remedied...I think I went through a side door. Not so convenient if you don't have a car here...of course, you are in Rockville so if you don't have a car in suburbia it's going to be inconvenient in general. Parking is aplenty. May return in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
St. Joseph, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Couldn't be happier with the hotel and staff. The room was large and comfortable but is a little worn in that the doors to the bathroom were a little difficult to close, but pretty minor. The A/C worked the first day we were there, but my wife said the fan was too noisy to sleep so we turned it off. The next morning it wouldn't work. We told the staff and by the time we arrived back at the hotel it was working fine. The pool isn't very big but for adults it works just fine to cool off after a hot day in DC. We had family who live nearby so we opted to stay in Rockville and take the Metro into DC. They run you over to the Metro in their shuttle so you don't have to drive and park when using the Metro to visit DC. All in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here during the power outage that left over 1 million in the area without power. After Saturday night, they jacked up the price by $60, more than $30 or $40 more their usual Sunday night rate. When asked about this, the manager said it is their prerogative, and everyone else was doing it. Not everyone else was doing it. And it is our prerogative never to stay there again. The manager seemed unconcerned about losing our future business or that of anyone who should ever visit us in the area.

We stayed here because it was 100 degrees outside, and we had no power. Yet the AC in our room stopped working the second night. The "free wireless" was equally useless as we couldn't connect to any of the networks.

Moreover, the room was noisy because just outside was a terrace area, underneath which was a poorly sound-proofed conference center. Only one elevator was working on our half of the building. And in our room, the carpet was dirty, and the desk chair was half-broken.

We will never stay in another Crowne Plaza, and we will tell anyone else to avoid them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear J J,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with the price you paid. Room rates do vary depending on the market. I have noted your comments regarding the air conditioner, the elevator and housekeeping. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused you. This will be addressed with the proper departments.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Connie D
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is a typical suburban hotel. The room and the bedroom were clean. However, I found hairs from the bed. It seems that they did not replace the bed covers.
The hotel is just next to Slee Inn hotel, and is surrounded by office buildings. There is no place to go within walking distance. Malls and grocery store are not located near the hotel. A good thing is that the hotel provides complementary shuttle to the grocery and Shady Groves subway station.
I used the hotel shuttle to buy water and juices at Safeway. The shuttle driver told me to call the hotel for pick-up. After shopping, I called hotel for pick-up. The hotel front desk told me that the shuttel driver is busy and I have to wait 20 minutes. I waited more than 20 minutes. The hotel front desk told me the same thing that I have to wait 20 more minutes. So,I waited more than 40 minutes for pick-up. It was not easy to catch a taxi near Safeway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Chul A,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apology for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the unacceptable service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience due to the fact you need to wait for our shuttle service to arrive. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Rockville, MD.

Anthony M
Mentor Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hotel is clean enough but it needs updated--old decor and a little threadbare. The biggest problem is the service--I called for the hotel shuttle from the Metro, was told it would be there momentarily. 15 minutes later, I called back and was told I had just missed the shuttle the last time I called but the shuttle would be there soon, 15 minutes later from there (now 30 minutes), I called again and the shuttle was "on its way". It took 45 minutes from the time I arrived at the Metro and called to the time the shuttle dropped me off. If I had known it was going to be that long, i would have just taken a cab. Unfortunately, my experience was common among the others I was at the hotel with so it was not unusual.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear drizzly7609,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your experience. We are delighted you found our hotel clean. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to our services and hotel interior. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you again for your review.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!