“Very pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Joseph, MI
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Couldn't be happier with the hotel and staff. The room was large and comfortable but is a little worn in that the doors to the bathroom were a little difficult to close, but pretty minor. The A/C worked the first day we were there, but my wife said the fan was too noisy to sleep so we turned it off. The next morning it wouldn't work. We told the staff and by the time we arrived back at the hotel it was working fine. The pool isn't very big but for adults it works just fine to cool off after a hot day in DC. We had family who live nearby so we opted to stay in Rockville and take the Metro into DC. They run you over to the Metro in their shuttle so you don't have to drive and park when using the Metro to visit DC. All in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here during the power outage that left over 1 million in the area without power. After Saturday night, they jacked up the price by $60, more than $30 or $40 more their usual Sunday night rate. When asked about this, the manager said it is their prerogative, and everyone else was doing it. Not everyone else was doing it. And it is our prerogative never to stay there again. The manager seemed unconcerned about losing our future business or that of anyone who should ever visit us in the area.

We stayed here because it was 100 degrees outside, and we had no power. Yet the AC in our room stopped working the second night. The "free wireless" was equally useless as we couldn't connect to any of the networks.

Moreover, the room was noisy because just outside was a terrace area, underneath which was a poorly sound-proofed conference center. Only one elevator was working on our half of the building. And in our room, the carpet was dirty, and the desk chair was half-broken.

We will never stay in another Crowne Plaza, and we will tell anyone else to avoid them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear J J,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with the price you paid. Room rates do vary depending on the market. I have noted your comments regarding the air conditioner, the elevator and housekeeping. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused you. This will be addressed with the proper departments.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Connie D
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is a typical suburban hotel. The room and the bedroom were clean. However, I found hairs from the bed. It seems that they did not replace the bed covers.
The hotel is just next to Slee Inn hotel, and is surrounded by office buildings. There is no place to go within walking distance. Malls and grocery store are not located near the hotel. A good thing is that the hotel provides complementary shuttle to the grocery and Shady Groves subway station.
I used the hotel shuttle to buy water and juices at Safeway. The shuttle driver told me to call the hotel for pick-up. After shopping, I called hotel for pick-up. The hotel front desk told me that the shuttel driver is busy and I have to wait 20 minutes. I waited more than 20 minutes. The hotel front desk told me the same thing that I have to wait 20 more minutes. So,I waited more than 40 minutes for pick-up. It was not easy to catch a taxi near Safeway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Chul A,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apology for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the unacceptable service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience due to the fact you need to wait for our shuttle service to arrive. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Rockville, MD.

Anthony M
IHGCare
Mentor Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The hotel is clean enough but it needs updated--old decor and a little threadbare. The biggest problem is the service--I called for the hotel shuttle from the Metro, was told it would be there momentarily. 15 minutes later, I called back and was told I had just missed the shuttle the last time I called but the shuttle would be there soon, 15 minutes later from there (now 30 minutes), I called again and the shuttle was "on its way". It took 45 minutes from the time I arrived at the Metro and called to the time the shuttle dropped me off. If I had known it was going to be that long, i would have just taken a cab. Unfortunately, my experience was common among the others I was at the hotel with so it was not unusual.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear drizzly7609,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your experience. We are delighted you found our hotel clean. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to our services and hotel interior. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you again for your review.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have been a regular guest at the Crowne Plaza in Rockville MD for the last 6-7 years. In general I don't like leaving home. But the staff at this hotel make my time away from home comfortable.
Kudos to the restaurant staff who go beyond the call of duty to create a meal of my choice. Rarely is a hotel restaurant that does that. The bar tender makes sure I get want for dinner every evening. By now she knows my likes and dislikes and very sensitive to my needs as well asthe needs of all her guests.
the rest of the hotel staff are equally great. your front desk, shuttle drivers, cleaning crew. Kudos to you guys for running a a hotel that is warm and comfortable for business travellers.

Room Tip: pick a room that faces the street side
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We went to the Crowne Plaza for asocial event and it had its fair share of good and bad situations. Ok the good: the rooms I have to say are very spacious and comfortable. You can tell they did some refurbishments in the not so distant past and made the rooms very comfortable for long stays. I also liked the proximity to the metro to take the train, they will even provide a shuttle service to get there. This would be the hotel I would want for the majority of my business trips as I can get work done and the free wifi is an essential basic. As for the bad I can't really pin entirely on the Hotel. Like most hotels they are pinned to a national service which handles booking so my main problem is of course the difficult booking process which once there was an error it took several weeks and even a couple of weeks after our stay and a call to a manager to fix the problem.
Ultimately the issue was resolved, it was just more annoying than it needed to be, the manager was great in resolving the problem pretty much no one else could.
There is also immediate access to the highways for those needing the airport or the ability to get into DC.

Room Tip: The basic rooms are just fine and are larger than average. The suites are pleasantly large and great...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I attended a workshop ind downtown dc but didn't want to drive downtown due to traffic. I researched several hotels and chose cp because of promixity to 495 beltway and nearby subway station. My husband came along and we were given an upgrade to suite, which was as big as my daughter's apt in Brooklyn. Clean, comfortable, terrific bed, shower, rooms with a welcome snack of chocolate strawberry and cookies. Shuttle was readily available to subway and driver came promptly when we called on return, subway ride was 25 minutes but easy and relaxing compared with driving into downtown. Also, dinner was very good at the lobby restaurant. Thanks to patient staff with my many questions.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!