“Wonderful stay after a frustrating day” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful stay after a frustrating day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Its a nice hotel. Found everything clean and nice. Comfy beds.The little pouch of linen spray and other little goodies was the cherry on top.
However, here's a reminder - the hotel is in Rockville, Maryland NOT Washington DC itself. So, if you need quick access to WDC downtown and you are unfamiliar with DC area roads this may not be the place for you.
We went on a rainy day and found DC roads to be very confusing and taking a hotel far from the attractions didn't help.
But, the hotel itself felt like an oasis after an utterly tiring day. Loved it!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I recently had a business meeting at this hotel, and I never wanted to leave! The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful, always making eye contact and greeting me with a smile. I ate all meals at the hotel (catered or room service) and every bite was delicious. Although there is a free shuttle to anyplace within a 3-mile radius of the hotel, I just stayed in and enjoyed their hospitality. Some areas for improvement: The elevators...slow and jumpy. The noise....you can hear your neighbor's TV shows AND wake-up alarms. The pluses: Great in-house restaurant and staff, comfortable room and attentive housekeeping staff. They tout themselves as "The Place to Meet" and I have to agree. It was pleasant.

Room Tip: Elevator, ice machine, and stair case are close together.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I booked this using an Entertainment Card and got a fantastic rate for a one-night stay.
For those of you that don't know, you can buy an Entertainment Book for $20 or $25 a year and they give you major savings on hotels in the Holiday Inn family.
I booked a room in July as I was attending a soccer match at FedEx Field. It was a bit of a drive from the field, but the rate made it worth it. I got the hotel for less than $50, taxes included!
My wife wasn't going to the match with me, so she stayed behind at the hotel and was impressed with what she got for the rate. Very clean, very nice and spacious room for the money.
There isn't really anything within walking distance of the hotel, so plan to drive wherever you're going. We didn't take the Metro, but my understanding is that it isn't very far from the hotel.
One warning - I had booked the same hotel for a stay in 2010 but forgot to bring the Entertainment Card with me. No other Holiday Inn has ever given me a problem with a similar scenario, but the worker there told me the rate would nearly double, to more than $100 per night. He was the manager, so I asked, 'Are you really going to turn down a room because I forgot the card?' Shockingly, he did. We ended up staying in a cheap Days Inn or something that wasn't nearly as nice as the Crowne Plaza, but it was closer to the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This place is absolutely beautiful but I was shocked to see a roach. The front desk guy moved me to another room 221 and it smelled of mildew I could barely take 2 steps in. Don't let them give you that room it will make you sick. He apologized and checked the next room before bringing me the key and that was fine. Also the air conditioning wasn't working they had to have a maintenance guy come in. He used some sort of device that would charge it only for 6 days. Not sure what that is about I guess instead of paying to resolve the issue..that is a temporary fix. If you get a room where the air isn't working they will have the guys recharge it. On the up side...the lobby is gorgeous and the housekeeping staff are nice and in a very safe desirable neighborhood.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room 221..mildew smell
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Libertyville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I traveled with my family to Washington DC and stayed in this hotel for our last day. The hotel is no very big. Only three stories. The room is really nice and well maintained. Front desk agent is friendly. We booked two rooms separately. He managed to put us next to each other. The hotel has a large fit room. It is actually 4 room connected together. The only potential problem is the outdoor pool which could be a concern for winter travelers. The hotel's location is really good. 20-25 minutes drive to Capital Hills. 5-10 minutes drive to Target/Sears. I love this hotel. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel once before and everything was pretty much OK. That was not the case with this stay. I arrived there thinking I had gotten a great deal because of the rate I found. I left thinking what a rip off.

I was given an inside room on the second floor that looked into a reception room. The only way to have some privacy was to close the drapes, which made it feel like a dungon.I asked for another king room, but the only other available was on the first floor right next to the rear entrance from the parking lot. I looked at the room, which smelled very bad, and decided to stay where I was. At three am there were people having a get together in the reception room which woke me up. when I looked through the drapes, they left. At 9:20 am, housekeeping was at the door, waking me up, and this was a Sunday morning. Who would think to try to clean a room that early on a Sunday? I told them I had late checkout and to please come back after 2:00. At 12:00 there they were again.

The room had an airconditioning unit in a closet right beside the bed which was so noisy it had to be turned off in order to sleep. The coffee cup in the maker had a dried up coffee packet stuck to the bottom of the cup, calling in to question how clean the other glasses were. It was a double occupancy room with only one coffee packet. These are small things that could probably have been overlooked, but when there are so many of them and they are combined with everything else, they become annoyances.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a room on the outside of the building
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Jheath_1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Travelbug31378,

Thank you for the comments. We have reviewed them with our staff so that we may improve.
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I have been stayed in this hotels a couple of times in the past three years. They have been treated me well because of my Priority Club status. Unfortunately, this stay is not one of those times. The room is decent, but the smell inside the bath is terrible (just too much accumulation of moisture). I will have to switch to another room tomorrow.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear KMXlean,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

CJ
Case Manager
IHG Care

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!