“Come here for the food, not the ambience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
D.C.
“Come here for the food, not the ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Excellent rotisserie chicken - some of the BEST I've ever tasted because of the fact that they use charcoal grilling. You just can't get that flavor without charcoal. $11.95 for whole chicken

Black beans are the real deal, tastes like it's been cooked for hours in real pork stock.

Salad with the dressing has a delicious tangy dressing.

Service is satisfactory.

The restaurant is more of a lunch or take out place - ambience is a bit tired and casual, but they do serve bottled cerveza's, mixed drinks and wine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

96% Recommend
Washington DC
“Great Peruvian/Cubian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Usually we get Peruvian chicken for take out but the dine-in menu looks great too. This is a great restaurant hidden in the back of a suburban shopping plaza. Family owned and authentic. Best fried yuca. My only negative point is that they charge for extra sauce. I can see how people would like to take advantage of the great sauce but they should double the portion that comes with the food!

Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“I'm not an expert on Peruvian food, but that was freaking good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

La Limenia is a small, friendly Peruvian restaurant that serves traditional good food with a Cuban twist. The staff is very helpful - always ensuring your glasses are filled and you have everything you need. Our waitress, Elena, was especially sweet and attentive. We shared some appetizers including the Anticuchos (beef hearts) and ceviche de pescado, which were both great. The ceviche was fresh and bright, and anticuchos were nice and flavorful (but a tad overcooked). Their green sauce is delicious and a bit spicy! I got Ossobuco for my main course which was nicely cooked and tender, falling off the bone, and laid in a wonderful rich sauce. It came with an interesting sort of rice/white bean fried "cake" that was a nice starch element for the dish. Finished off the meal with some alfajores and coffee - you HAVE to eat those sweet petite cookies after your meal or you might as well have not come in at all. Overall a great place, hence the long line I walked past as I was exiting. Buen trabajo La Limenia!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Maryland, United States
“By Far the Best Peruvian in Rockville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

By far the best Peruvian restaurant in DC metro area, food is fresh, tasty and just plain delicious!
I guess the owner felt the pressure to upgrade paper plates/cups to formal dishes, so the prices were a bit up, and the portions down, but the quality and taste of the food remain up high!
Some of my favorite dishes are fried trout with garlic, lomo saltado, the green spaghettis, the shrimp soup, paella is to die for, overall, the only reason I don't visit La Limena more often is b/c my trainer forbids me to do so, but like I said b/4 I have never order something I didn't love, their tostones, ceviche, stuffed potato, yucca frita with the green/white sauce scrumptious!
Please don't forget to leave room for dessert and order the pastelitos de guayaba, you'll thank me for it!
Although I'm not Peruvian but I have visited the best of the best in Lima Peru in more than one occasion, and I have driven to Virginia, DC and Maryland looking, searching for good Peruvian, I can freely say that, La Limena is the best of the best!
Warning: finding a parking space is not always easy, but be patient is well worth it!

Visited July 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“A really off night for them?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our friends have been here many times and enjoyed it. So, we went with them. All of us were very disappointed. The mussel appetizer was almost no mussel and all chopped raw onions. The enchilada was cold inside. pasty and had some sort of dried out chunks of meat inside. They forgot to bring the empanadas we ordered. Too bad we reminded them. They were not good. Only some dry ground meat inside with no flavor. The seafood soup came without the crab meat (and little other seafood). They claimed the crab meat was out of season. Huh??
The fired rice dishes were almost cold and contained very little other than the fried rice.
By the way, they do not put the prices of wines and other drinks on the menu - ask.
So, one or two misses would be understandable, but they did strike out. Maybe it was an off night. Other reviewers liked the place. Take your chances.

• Visited June 2013