We stayed here for 4 nights in October as we were visiting Washington DC. Quality Suites is in what appears to be a good safe location, it's not too far from the Interstate, is on the edge of a decent housing community and situated within a business park.
There is plenty of free parking outside and the surroundings are very quiet, our room was in the courtyard so we were away from any Interstate road noise.
A shuttle service is provided and leaves the hotel every hour, it runs from 7am to 10:30pm, it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the Shady Grove metro station. We found out after our first trip that there is plenty of parking at the metro station, free at weekends and $5 all day Monday to Friday (pay on exit using a Smartrip card or credit card). Bear in mind there are less spaces available Monday to Friday due to reserved parking and commuters so get there early! Each day thereafter we drove to the metro as it was just a little easier than phoning the hotel and waiting for shuttle when we returned.
The metro takes about 40 minutes to get to Metro centre station in Washington, a single journey costs $4.50 off peak, an all day travel card costs $14. The trains run very frequently.
There is a Safeway not too far from the hotel (on the way to the metro) and a couple of petrol stations.
The hotel, for us it had it's good and not so good points.
- The room was very large, very spacious, had a kitchenette, lounge area and a separate bedroom
- The king bed was very comfortable with lots of soft, fluffy pillows
- The bed had spotless white bedding with a quilt
- The room was very clean
- Fast & reliable in room wifi
- Breakfast was available until 10:30 at weekends and 09:30 weekdays
Not so good:
It's not one major thing, more of a catalogue of minor things:
- The in room safe was tiny, will only hold passports, small jewellery items and maybe an i-pod, no way can you store a laptop or camera. When we went to reception to get the key for our safe we were advised that the previous guest had taken it with them and they needed to get another one cut. As we couldn't really use the safe due to its size we didn't worry about it. A bit disappointed though as this is one of the main reasons we booked the room but we didn't realise it would be so small.
- There was an annoying noise in our room, when reported to reception it turns out it's the water pipes rattling - sounds like quite a loud dripping noise and it was continuous. We were offered to swap rooms but we couldn't be bothered to pack up our stuff and as apparently half the rooms in the hotel suffer the same issue, we could have ended up with louder pipes! We did get used to the noise after the first night and were advised that the hotel will be undergoing renovation to address this issue.
- The room is advertised as having a stove top and dishwasher. We had no dishwasher but 2 fridges and the stove top was a convection oven. Not an issue, the oven did what we needed it to but is different to that advertised.
- A tea towel for drying up was provided but there was no dishcloth, or washing up liquid and there was no plug for the sink so we couldn't wash up properly
- The temperature of the water in the shower didn't remain consistent - would go too hot or too cold.
None of the above majorly impacted our stay but these little things could be improved to make it better.
It was ok but needs a bit of improvement. The cereal had 3 containers all filled with cheerio's, a variety would be good. The breakfast changed from day to day every day there was - juice, coffee, scrambled eggs, waffles and one of the following meats: ham, sausage or sausage patties. Some days there were either bagels or bread and muffins, biscuits and gravy and fruit. Breakfast did get busy at times so you had to wait a short time for a re-stock and on occasions it did take some time for the tables to be cleared. The cutlery was also a mix of metal and plastic - a metal knife with a plastic fork!
As stated in previous reviews the entrance doors to the room are external but wasn't an issue for us.
All in all we did enjoy our stay, I do think things could run a little more efficiently (e.g. the taken safe key and breakfast) apparently the hotel has only just been purchased so hopefully efficiency will come with time.
We would recommend the Quality Suites and we would stay again.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.