“First of the kind, a fitness/wellness hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of EVEN Hotel Rockville

Save Saved
You added EVEN Hotel Rockville to your Saves list
EVEN Hotel Rockville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special Savings!
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
“First of the kind, a fitness/wellness hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I came here for an overnight weekend stay to get more IHG bonus points (I learned of EVEN location and IHG bonus from IHG direct emails to members). So let me review what I think of the hotel first, then the people second.

As a hotel EVEN is not much to write about. The rooms are spartanly furnished (shower only/no tub, tiny closet, no plush sofa to sit, no carpet, loud window AC) but clean. It’s what one would (and should) expect from a decent road-side motel like a Holiday Inn Express (which this EVEN was converted from).

But if one removes all the preconceived notions of luxury, and just look at EVEN base on a novel concept of “bringing wellness/fitness from home to the road”, then it really delivered.

What the room lacks in luxury, it makes up in providing everything one needs to do yoga, pilate or a resistance workout privately (cardio machines and free weights in lobby gym). There are like 20 channels of on-demand workout routines on TV using everything the room has. The king bed is very comfortable but the added topper elevate the bed to scalable heights. And the toiletries, which come in plenty because they are mounted on wall, refillable dispensers (not tiny hotel sizes), are very aromatic and soothing.

Once I got it (what the hotel is about), everything about the room makes sense. The soap dispensers lets you use whatever you need and no more (no throwing away half use hotel bottles). The Philips daylight lamp (mimics different sunlight throughout the day) is cool and actually works when adjusting jetlag. And the paint scheme, while kind jail or school-house like brown and white, does make the small room feel bigger.

For mobile working warriors, there is only a small, standing, wall mounted, flip down table (but with all the power, ethernet, HDMI connections). I did upgrade to a suite which does have a sitting desk, and have a 2-3 chair mini conference area. I posted some pics so you can see what I am talking about.

I tried the breakfast (part of my weekend package) at the lobby lounge which was very healthy both in portion and contents. While selections were very limited and mostly cold, there were some tasty hot items like an quinoa egg white omelette. The juice were freshly squeezed by a really cool machine, and the coffee hot and flavorful. There is also an assortment of snacks and drinks available for purchase with room cards (self-serve kiosks). And there is always free aromatic flavored water right in lobby. If you want to venture out, there are plenty of eating options nearby, healthy or not (including Hooters across the street).

Now about the people of EVEN. I checked in somewhat later in the evening (like 8?), and as IHG Gold Ambassador member, I expected membership perks like late check out, in room welcoming gift or fruit basket, suite upgrade, etc…. The receptionist was very trying but since I was the first such member to check in, she did not know or understand the program or perks. So I was first admitted into a regular room. Later when I returned from dinner she graciously offered to upgrade me to a suite even though she (and her operations manager for whom I later met in person) still have no clarification from IHG corporate concerning upgrades. So I give her 4 of 5 for trying and caring, and IHG corporate a 2 of 5 for not issuing guidelines to employees at EVEN on what the policies are concerning Gold Ambassador members.

When I checked out the following afternoon, I met Korey the operations manager, who took the time to apologize for my somewhat confusing check in (and issued some extra IHG points), and explained the whole EVEN concept, model, execution, etc… to me. He definitely made a believer in me about this new “wellness/fitness on the road” concept, and how it will appeal not only to the younger, fitter crowd, but make someone (less active) willing to take the first step towards wellness and fitness in a private non intimidating (in one’s own hotel room) setting. So Korey gets a 5 of 5 from me as well.

In summary, if you are looking for a luxury den (nice furnishing and decor) or a productive office (big usable desk with sitting area for mini conferences with others), EVEN is not your place.

And if you are not feverish about wellness/fitness, or be willing to accept it, you will find EVEN a turn off, because they literally beat you over the head with the message everywhere and everything they do.

As for me, since I only live a few blocks away I can’t justify coming here again, but would not hesitate to stay at an EVEN elsewhere. And would love to gift an overnight stay at EVEN to my less active friends, so they too can learn and be motivated to stay well/fit on the road.

Room Tip: Suites may be more spacious, but they are in the front of hotel facing main street so they are noisi...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We've all stayed at hotels for business or pleasure. I get the mentality of "its just another hotel room to rest my head on". From the second you enter the lobby you will get a very different, simple, slick, calm, rejuvenating and friendly vibe.

When you walk in to one of the rooms you notice that it has everything you didn't know you wanted.
Cork floors and a simple to use workout gym? Yes. Comfy bed and pillows? Check. A phillips LED Hue light? Of course. Sometimes its the simple things in life that make us the most happy. Even Hotels mounted a dry erase board on the wall. Why? How about as an inspiration board for you to write notes on so you can visualize? Slick.

So the spaces in this hotel are really great. When was the last time you got to know the staff at a hotel by name? At the EVEN Hotel the staff isn't locked behind some heavy looking mahogany front desk waiting for you to approach them. They float. They actually start conversations with you. No stuffy suits here. Just good people. Lisa, Korey, Nick, Liz, Scott, Kristin and Chantel to name a few of the superstars that represent this brand. Go ahead and say hello to them when you stay here and see for yourself. Different. Different=Great.

The EVEN Hotel gets everything right.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
RUNGMRUN, General Manager at EVEN Hotel Rockville, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear JK,
We/I could not have asked for a better review or a better guest to help spread the word. When you come back and see us again, come find me and let me give you a hug and a high five.
You touched on so many of the great things that make us special, but best of all was the call out of so many of our great staff that helps to bring to life what we’re all about. The people you mentioned range from our Keep Active Team (Rooms), Rest Easy Department (Housekeeping), Eat Well staff at Cork n’ Kale (our Food and Beverage Team), Accomplish More (Sales), to even me. Each and every day I am so proud to work alongside them - and we are all honored to have had the chance to get to know and take care of you while here with us.
Be well, thanks again, and look forward to seeing you soon,
Your Chief Wellness Officer,
Scott
Virginia Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Even Hotels, the latest in hip hotel service that caters to the millennial crowd. It's a great hotel for people that don't mind parking in a garage two blocks away, with no signage to get from the garage to the hotel. It's great if you like yoga equipment in your room, slick barn-door style shower doors that don't close, a working desk that is 48" off the ground, and a TV remote that operates like nothing you've used before. The hallways are more prison decor than tastefully finished. There is no complimentary coffee - everything in the bistro is a la carte, and expensive - a cup of coffee was over 3 and a half bucks.

I can appreciate trying to do the next new thing - but the Even approach is already old schtick.......Aloft tried the hip approach and they are already looking tired.

Finally, I couldn't get in the front door when I arrived. You have to have a key to get in - it's hard to have a key when you haven't checked in yet. I had to walk around an knock on the window to get someone's attention.

I appreciate a nice place, with good service, complimentary coffee and breakfast, with convenient amenities. Keep the schtick; I'm headed back to the Marriott.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
LiftDOSLift, Director of Sales at EVEN Hotel Rockville, responded to this review, 1 week ago
A very sincere thank you for taking the time and energy to write this review. I thank for staying with us and giving us the opportunity to introduce the newest brand of IHG to you. Although, we may not have been the perfect match for your stay needs, we truly enjoyed sharing our hotel and hospitality.

At EVEN Hotels we took every effort and care to really discover, followed by delivering – the right experience for those seeking better balance and wellness when travelling. From these discoveries and discussions with customers, much of what we discovered called for some very unique and not-so-traditional design elements and amenities that you would not find in a typical, or ”standard” hotel. In addition to this our hotel decor reflects a simplistic and clean finish which ultimately aligns with our design concept.

Additionally, I do apologize for the inconvenience that you incurred when checking in after hours. We do have a phone that is located out side of the entrance that enables guests to place a call to the front desk and alert one of our Keep Active Hosts of your arrival.

Again, we do understand that we may not be the perfect match but I thank you again for being with us and providing us with your thoughts and suggestions. We sincerely hope we have the chance to see you again on your next visit so you can continue to explore our offerings!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This new hotel in the Holiday Inn chain is a healthy/workout theme hotel. This location is a remodeled Holiday Inn (was a couple of other hotels before that) so at this point everything is new and clean. The room is a modern design with workout and exercise features built into the room. The yoga mat I used appeared to be new when I used it, not sure how I feel about using a yoga mat used by 50 other sweaty guests...
Some basics: parking is not convenient, it's on the 5th floor of a garage next to the hotel--not a good thing if you are arriving late at night. No breakfast, but there is a small refrigerator in the room. Wireless worked well and there is a good TV.
The price of the rooms has more than doubled since the last time I stayed there, not sure I'll return until the price is back to a reasonable place.
Overall Very Clean, everyone was friendly, the concept is a bit overdone with the faux health/wellness theme. There are some local food and shopping options that you can walk to, so that is also a plus for the location.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators and ask for rooms that don't face the office building be...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
A very sincere thank you for taking the time to write this review. We truly enjoyed the opportunity of your staying with us and sharing our hotel and hospitality.

" For what greater wealth can there be than cheerfulness, peace of mind, and freedom from anxiety?” were the words of the famous author Thomas More in his book Utopia. This simply stated quote defines in part what EVEN Hotels hopes to instill in our guest experience.

At EVEN Hotels we took every effort and to truly discover and formally deliver the right experience for travelers seeking better balance and wellness when travelling. And from these discoveries and discussions with customers, many of those leanings called for some very unique and not-so-traditional design elements and amenities that you would not find in a typical, or standard hotel.

You mentioned your liking for the yoga mat and additional in-room fitness training equipment, however, I understand that you had a few concerns in regards to the usage the mat receives from other guests. Please rest assured that each yoga mat, in addition to all other equipment housed in the room is thoroughly cleaned, sanitized and replaced in the room. With particular note on the yoga mate we provide an indication wrap that reads " Fresh, clean and ready to unroll" indicating that it has in deed been properly cleaned.

Thank you so much for your insightful review and feedback on our newest brand to the IHG family.

On behalf of EVEN Hotel I thank you again for your insightful review and feedback on our newest brand to the IHG family. Additionally, we thank you for being with us and providing us with your thoughts and suggestions. We sincerely hope we have the chance to see you again on your next visit so you can continue to explore our offerings!

Kristin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel was very exciting to visit to see the new Even brand. The entire hotel has a relaxing, fresh and clean feeling. What stood out was the glass shower doors, modern rooms with pre-programed workout videos and the customer service level of all employees I interacted with. The coffee in the Cork and Kale cafe was great as well. I would stay again and recommend!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Andrea:

Thank you so much for staying with us and allowing us the opportunity to provide you with an exciting experience. I am thrilled to hear that you truly felt refreshed and relaxed at our property as this is our hope for all guests of our hotel.

You mentioned that the glass barn-style shower doors and Wellness rooms equipped with the In= Room Fitness Trainer were specifically to your liking. I too love the barn doors as they are very unique and space saving as well, not to mention beautiful.

As for our in-room training experience, you can certainly get a great workout in the comfort of your own room. Did you know that there are 19 channels in each room with over 500 hours of fitness videos on them so you can never get tired of the routine? I hope that you stay with us often so that you can make a small dent in the amount of video available. I look forward to your feedback. It is practically impossible to get tired of being that it encompasses so much variety.

I also invite you the next time that you stay with us to join me on a Thursday evening in the Athletic Studio at 5:30 for my Strength & Conditioning class. I think you would love it!

What stood out most to me in your review, and certainly touched home with me in your review is your compliments on our staff. I thank you for that and truly appreciate your comments. We take great pride in our customer service and strive for perfection. We look forward to your return and thank you again for your wonderful review.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a really great hotel. It reminds you of a spa when you first walk in. The Eucalyptus like aroma greets you as soon as you walk through the door. The staff is extremely friendly and they treat you as if you have known them for years. They always stop to speak with you and make you feel at home. The hotel is really clean and up to par. I have been been staying here almost every week since August 4 and have really been enjoying my stay here. I have done the spin class and enjoy it. The trainer Shakira has really pushed me to help achieve my weight loss goals. Thanks Shakira :) I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and wherever i am travelling, i will always check to see if there is an EVEN there.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
LiftDOSLift, Director of Sales at EVEN Hotel Rockville, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Rwmck00:

You just made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! It truly shows the reflection of our hotel and the experience we hope that each and every guest has when staying with us.

I too love the spa like feel upon entering our hotel. It is certainly relaxing and instantly calming as you mentioned. And but of course, the aroma that greets you as you walk through the door! We have 3 distinct in air aromas throughout our property which are located upon entrance of the hotel, the Wellcome lobby and Athletic Studio. They are each distinct in nature and I am so happy to hear that you love them as much as we do!

The highlight of your review for me was your description of our staff and their engagement. We are truly so inspired and motivated by having the chance to share our passion for our brand and the promise of enabling wellness in travel!

The pleasure is truly all ours to have the opportunity to spend time with you each and every week. We thank you for your continued patronage to our hotel and look forward to your return each and every week.

Additionally, I am thrilled to hear that you have been thoroughly enjoying Spin classes with our Accomplish More Manager Shakira! She truly is fantastic isn't she, and full of life! Congratulations on achieving your weight loss goals while in the surrounding of EVEN Hote and the support of Shakira for that extra push! I hope to have the opportunity to push you to the next level of your Wellness goals by inviting you to attend class with me during your next stay on a Thursday evening from 5:30-6:30 when I hold my Strength & Conditioning class in the Athletic Studio! Be prepared to sweat and have a blast!

We are honored that you have had such a fabulous time with us and are continuing on your Wellness Journey each and every time you stay with us.

From all of us at your home away from home each week, to you, one of our favorite guests, we can’t wait to welcome you back!

Kristin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I am glad I found this hotel.The rooms were modern,very clean and the shower was amazing.I can't think of anything negative about my experience.The manager obviously does a great job in training his staff and implementing a policy of offering exemplary customer service.

• Stayed September 2014
Reisenberg:

Thank you so much for allowing us the opportunity to provide accommodations to you during your travels and giving us such a great review. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and it is indeed reviews of our hotel, like yours that reassure us that we are meeting & exceeding our goals everyday.
Your insight on such aspects of your experience including the cleanliness of the accommodations and spa-like bath experience provide future travelers the great insight into what they can expect when staying with us. And we thank you for that!
Our Chief Wellness Officer, Brand General manager works extremely hard each and everyday to ensure the smooth running of our magnificent property and guests experience! I am more than pleased to hear that this was easily recognizable during your experience with us.

We look forward to having you back with us soon and I hope that you your autumn is off to a great start! May it be filled with active days, restful nights, healthy bites, and big accomplishments!

Be well,
Kristin Lesino

Been to EVEN Hotel Rockville? Share your experiences!