“Great” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Diner
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stopped with a friend for lunch who has been there before. I had hot turkey sandwich -- all white meat and good gravy. Then a good piece of chocolate coconut cake. Traditional good homemade cooking; not gourmet though but how many gourmet restaurants have chocolate coconut cake.

Service was great too.

Definitely want to go back and sample more items on the menu and all the pies and cakes which are probably delicious.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Waxhaw, North Carolina
“25 Years Later and It's Still Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

During my college years, I used to go through Rising Sun fairly regularly driving between home and school iand would stop frequently at Spready Oaks. I remembered it as good home style cooking. I found myself in the area and stopped in for the first time in 25 years. Sometimes memories don't live up the present, but Spready Oaks sure did. The customers still seem to be mostly locals. When you walk in there is a "you aren't from around here" look but in a friendly way. They still offer good home cooked/diner type food. I got a hamburger and fries with chicken gravy. And, I finished it off with delicious bread pudding. The server was friendly and efficient even while it was relatively busy. It is worth a stop if you are in the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, VA
“Good food, but pricy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stopped here today for lunch, and we found a small friendly place with good food, but a bit pricy. Lunch was $40 including tip for just 3 of us. I did order a slice of cherry pie to go, but unfortunately it was not very good.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
virginia
“Good Home Cooking Menu,But”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I agree with the other reviews: great menu, fair prices, good service ... but the quality of our food was average. Two of us ordered pork chops. I was envisioning one or more big, juicy chops; instead I was served two little, overcooked ones. Nothing special at all. The gravy, thankfully orThe

The other order was a BLT - not hard to screw up.

I will say that the onion rings were really good - the best part of the meal!

Hmm, maybe we ordered the wrong items from the menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Home Cookin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Not knowing where to go in Rising Sun I turned to ole faithful tripadvisor. The reviews looked good so my husband, daughter in law, myself, and 3 grandchildren decided to give it a go. Everyone was pleased with the food and service...particularly our 4 year old granddaughter who received an enormous and adorable Mickey Mouse pancake. A tribute to this restaurant is that she actually ate it all!

• Visited May 2013