“Cozy, secluded and slow” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Anglers Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 49 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brickyard
Description: A most charming dining spot, the Old Angler's Inn has been immortalized in countless Washington D.C. novels as a romantic winter getaway, sitting before the fireplace and perusing the menu. It is equally glorious in the summer when the main action moves to the incomparable terrace.
Maryland
“Cozy, secluded and slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Old Angler's Inn is a picturesque and cozy restaurant located in upscale Potomac. The multi-tiered terrace with a central fountain is very pretty. Dine outside for the ambience weather permitting. Inside, it's a small space. There is a larger space up the small spiral staircase and a private dining room. The food is good, but a bit pricey. We had the grilled bavette pan roasted Alaskan halibut and although we asked for Medium, it came out somewhat rare. My husband does not like to send anything back so he bravely ate his steak but what a waste for $30 entree. For my part, the halibut was excellent. The oyster with champagne mignionette was also very good. I would skip dessert because the strawberry crepe wasn't that good. Although it was a Thurs. night, it was crowded which they obviously weren't prepared for because the service was very slow. It took 20 min. to seat us and we had a reservation. It took another 20 min. to take our order and it took an hour from arrival time to get our order. Overall, I would go again but only if I had a discount from Living Social or something to make it worth the money and time.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Springfield, VA
“Perfect place to dine outside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This out-of-the-way restaurant is perfect for a relaxing meal outside, and you need reservations even on a weeknight. (I suggest asking for a table away from the road.) Stone patio, twinkly lights, soft music, excellent waitstaff - just perfect! Crab Cake appetizer was delicious on pickled veggies. I had the flank steak, my husband had the rockfish, and both cooked just right. Creme Brulee for dessert hit the spot! Highly recommend, and will go again when I am in the area. Very close to Great Falls National Park.

• Visited April 2013
Arlington, VA
“Lazy Afternoon Lunch at Old Angler's Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Although its neck of the woods is out of the way for most travelers casually passing through Potomac, Maryland, I had nonetheless passed by Old Angler's Inn a few times, and it always struck me as a place where I would love to stop for brunch or lunch on a lazy weekend afternoon. And that is exactly what we did.

We stopped by, probably a few weeks too early in March. The absence of leaves on the trees along the Potomac does make the scene seem a bit more barren than in the summer months, not quite as picturesque as I remembered. Outside temperatures were not particularly warm either, but the restaurant did have fires going both inside in the fireplace and outside (plus additional patio heaters). It would have been cozy either way. We opted to eat indoors. The ambiance inside is rustic yet sophisticated all at once.

The lunch menu had several good choices. We split a smoked salmon appetizer, and for entrees, we ordered the hanger steak and the seared salmon. All the fish and the steak tasted great. Some of the salad and lentils did not seem as fresh as they could have been, but they tasted fine and served their accompanying purpose. The food may seem expensive by some standards, but the inn strives to be more than just your average suburban restaurant.

The ambiance and cuisine were matched by the high quality service by all of the staff. I would characterize the service more as professional and polite than friendly - which is not necessarily a bad thing, as sometimes friendly service can still be inept, which was not the case here.

Overall the experience was wonderful, and we look forward to visiting again when nature is in full bloom. I downgraded my rating ever-so-slightly because there was room for improvement here and there, but the potential for greatness is definitely there (or has been but slipped just a tad on our visit).

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Darnestown, MD
“They're Back! You should go.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from a delightful dinner at Old Angler's Inn. From the moment we walked in it was clear that they have returned to their glory days. The place was adorable and welcoming. The service attentive, everything was done well. We enjoyed the bar experience and the meal was fabulous - kudos to the chef, everything tasted great. The wait staff was wonderful, courteous and attentive. We loved the ambiance, the food and the service. It's back on our special occasion restaurant list, although we were happy to see many just enjoying a great night out. Well done, a very enjoyable evening!

Fairfax, Virginia
“Hiker's Delight - Very Relaxing After a Hike!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After hiking the Billy Goat trail we decided to treat ourselves to lunch at the Old Angler's Inn. (It looked so appealing as we made our way to the park entrance!) We arrived around 2pm and most of the outdoor tables (they have a lot of tables set up outside) were full but they were able to seat 14 of us at 2 tables. They didn't even flinch that 5 of these people were 10 year olds! A 2 course brunch was being offered for $28. The server told us the options and prices for the children's menu without having to ask him and he took their orders and the food arrived quickly. This was appreciated as the kids were starving.

Some of us started off with mimosa's and they were delicious. A good serving of champagne and not too much OJ!! We had a variety of appetizers ranging from smoked trout and smoked salmon to gnocchi and meatballs with tomato gravy to oysters on the half shell. Everyone enjoyed their choices. The portions were perfect; not large and not too small. The service was well paced as the sun was shining and we were relaxing in the fresh air and weren't in any big rush. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we almost didn't realize that one of our appetizers had never arrived. Our waiter was apologetic and brought out the missing appetizer before the entrees. Without any complaint from us, our server artfully offered my brother a drink for his trouble. Ya know...this just doesn't seem to happen too much anymore so his offer was a pleasant surprise and it made us like this place even more.

The entrees were all delicious. The steak of the steak frites was fork tender and very tasty. The sauce was a generic bernaise, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The "frites" were crispy and not overloaded on the plate. Other entrees were: hamburger; crabcake; and the blackened shrimp. Each one was enjoyed but I have to say that the blackened shrimp was a surprise with thin slices of potato on the bottom, spicy greens and an over-easy egg with the shrimp placed around the dish. The shrimp had a nice kick to it but wasn't so spicy that you didn't enjoy the dish. The creamy egg yoke complimented the tangy salad dressing . This dish wasn't your average entree.

I gave the Old Angler's Inn 4 stars because of a few mistakes. First, the forgotten appetizer, second, of the 3 blackened shrimp dishes, only one came with the egg, the children's meals were $12 and $15 each and lastly, our server was hard to find when it was time to pay our bill. None of these mistakes will keep us from visiting again. We had an absolutely glorious brunch and I highly recommend this place. I'm guessing that this place is hoppin' in the evenings especially when Great Falls is packed with hikers, bikers and walkers who have worked up an appetite.