“very good food but crowded at peak times” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“very good food but crowded at peak times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

They have a way with veal and lamb shank. Salads and pasta sauces are very good, and the wait staff is excellent. It's tucked back in the corner of a shopping plaza, but inside the ambience is very nice. True neighborhood gem.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mundelein, Illinois
“Crab Cake Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This sweet little restaurant was a lovely lunch time respite from the summer sun. Dark and cool with fresh linens, we were happily seduced by the crab cakes and calamari and were not disappointed. Certainly some of the best crab cakes we have EVER had! Staff was attentive and helped us with the menu. We will certainly be back soon.

Visited August 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“A reliable and lovely restaurant in Potomac, MD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have always had a very good to excellent meal at Renato's, whether for lunch or dinner. Lunch is a great time to visit as you have the opportunity to try the same dishes at a lower cost. The pasta is really good (my son has to have the linguini with mussels and red sauce when he comes to town) and the fish (Renato's is owned by the fish market next door) is always very fresh and perfectly prepared. The atmosphere is lovely, warm and friendly and the service, while sometimes uneven, is good overall. Renato's won our family's hearts a number of years ago on a very cold Valentine's evening when our street was blocked by fire trucks and we couldn't get home for dinner. Somehow, Renato's got the four of us in. And, being in a shopping center, one can always find a place to park -- always a plus in our congested region.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
McLean, Virginia
“Just Shy of Pedestrian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The food was just shy of pedestrian without any effort at presentation. The service was OK. There is no ambience to speak of.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“A Little Tuscany in Potomac”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I went to high school with Renato, however, he sold the restaurant years ago so I don't think there is any bias in my review. Renato's is in a old, 1960,s ish shopping center, and is located in the back of a courtyard unlike a typical restaurant in Italy tucked away in an alley. The restaurant is intimate, small by todays standards and sets the perfect tone for an authentic Italian dinner. Always a warm greeting. Most of the staff have been there for a long time. The wine list is very good, but I almost always gravitate to the red house wine. It is always a great table wine for an Italian meal. Feels like something a family might have at home with dinner on any given night. If the table is in agreement, we often start with a white pizza for an appetizer. No longer on the menu at dinner time, and I maybe I'm in trouble for suggesting this, so if you want to follow suite you better be prepared to beg for this. There is not a bad soup or salad to start with, the calamari is excellent. I have never been sorry when ordering a daily special. Often times they are just a derivation of an item on the main menu. The pastas are wonderful. If they are not freshly made, I'd like to know where they come from. I like spice so I am partial to the Arrabiata sauce. I rarely get a meat dish. I have had the Osso Bucco and Veal Chop which are both outstanding. There are the standard variety of fish dishes, but I tend to order the whole fish which are simply prepared but are really delicious because of the freshness of the ingredients. The fish has always been terrific but the variety has expanded the last few years since the fish store next door bought the place. Desert won't disappoint you. A cannoli, carrot cake, key lime pie with an expresso makes for a perfect family dinner. The only disappointment for me has been the price creep the last 5 or 6 years. I am not complaining about the cost, it is well worth it. But Renato's use to be a real value, we ate there twice a month. Now it is more like every other month.

• Visited April 2012