“Perfect Break Away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastclose Hotel

You added Eastclose Hotel to your Saves list
Eastclose Hotel
Lyndhurst Road | Christchurch, Hinton, New Forest National Park BH23 7EF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hinton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Perfect Break Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My other half bought a two night stay at East Close through Wowcher and i have to say we weren't disappointed by our stay.
the hotel itself is clean and cosy (we stayed in room 3 with the beautiful arch window) with some stunning rooms and beautiful bathrooms -a perfect chance to have a long relaxing bath after walking through the New Forest. my other half commented that the hotel in all areas was a very good ambient temperature. some hotels we have stayed at in the past have been freezing, so it was worth a mention!

Before our arrival i sent an email explaining that im dairy and gluten intolerant and asked them what food options from their menu i could have, they went up and beyond to accommodate these requests and never had to be prompted at meal times - they would bring over a menu marked with what was suitable - or they would accommodate breakfast, such as scrambled eggs without milk or butter and provided gluten free toast which was a nice touch.

the food itself its clean and flavorsome lots of things to choose from which change on a daily basis depending on what fish had been caught that day or what was in season.

staff were very helpful even when we lock ourselves out of the room!

i cant recommend this hotel enough! - weve already bought the second wowcher deal they currently have on offer to stay later on in the year..... hopefully the weather will be better that time around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your review, its great to see you have already booked to return. We look forward to seeing you then. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel after booking it through wowcher, bed and breakfast and dinner were included in our stay.
The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome.
Our room was very comfortable, lovely bed. Tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Very clean and tidy.
We ate 3 courses at dinner and must say the food was excellent, lovely menu and really good portion size. It was great quality.

Breakfast was also very good, nice choice and again great food.
We would most definitely stay hear again and highly recommend it

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, Manager at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Many thanks for your review, we are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I cannot praise the team at the East Close Hotel in Hinton highly enough. All the way through from the owners, through to the event management and staff, everyone we met and dealt with during our perfect wedding preparations and day were professional, warm, attentive, informative and focused 100% on providing us with the best package and service we could have hoped for. I would specifically commend Nicola for special recognition. Her attention to detail, confidence in her role, and willingness to go the extra yard was noted not just by my wife and I but by many others in my party. She is a credit to the hotel. Also, the personal attention we received from Tim right from our initial visit set the tone for our whole memorable experience. The hotel itself stunning and unique and the location is particularly beautiful, but it is the commitment and great service of the team that should encourage people to book this hotel.

Eastclose_2013, Owner at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you very much indeed, it was a pleasure looking after you and we look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago for a wedding aniversary with my wife.
The location of the hotel is beautiful, surrounded by Forest, wildlife and beautiful views. The main building looks like an old country manor house and i could imagine the rich and powerful staying here in days gone by.
All the staff were helpful, especially the young man who booked us in. He gave us all the relevant details about breakfast etc, as expected, but did it such a way it did not seem like his job but more a passion for him.
When we got to our room it was pleasantly decorated looking to the front, straight into the New Forest where we hoped to see deer etc but with no luck during our stay, im told they can be seen sometimes though, watch out for them on the roads.

The food quality at breakfast was very good, nothing was under or over cooked and the turnaround time on cooked breakfast was more than good enough, i recommend the scrambled egg on toast personally but my wife had the bacon etc.

There is plenty to do in the local area and Bournemoth is a short drive if you fancy a day out, otherwise there are lots of local brewery tours, small villages etc to visit within a short drive too.

Overall i have to stay i was very happy with my stay here and would heartily recommend it to anyone i knew travelling this way, fully intend to come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, General Manager at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as a romantic getaway and to just escape life for a bit. The location of the hotel was brilliant, smack bang in the New Forest with the views to all sides looking into it.
Plenty to do in the local area including horse riding, walking through the forest etc. Also Brighton is not far away, took about 15 minutes in the car and is easily signposted.
Ate at the hotel restaurant, The Conqueror, for the first night and have to say the food was awesome. I can particularly recommend the chicken wing starter, would have had it for all 3 courses if I could.
We had a double room looking over the rear garden, the bed was very comfortable and the room was well furnished.
Have to say I would very happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, General Manager at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your review
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My partner and I stayed at East Close last week for a mid-week break to celebrate my partner's birthday. First impressions were good, the front of the building and car park were very well maintained and we easily found a space (once we'd driven past it once having missed our turning!). We were checked in quickly and efficiently by a lovely young man (sorry I don't know any names!) and directed to Room 9. The room overlooked the gardens, which did look like they would be lovely to sit in had it stopped raining at any point during our stay! The room was spacious and clean, with some nice little added extras- my favourite being the hot chocolate in with the tea/coffee facilities - I'm not a big fan of tea or coffee and it's rare to find somewhere that caters for hot chocolate lovers.

As we both wanted to have a drink on the evening without having to catch a taxi back we decided to have dinner in the Conquerer Inn which is part of the hotel. The girl that served us on the bar was friendly & chatty and again we were served quickly with no wait for drinks or a table. Neither of us are normally big 3 course dinner people, so we stuck with main course and dessert, though some of the starters did look quite appetising. I had steak for my main which I have to say was possibly the best steak I have ever had in my life - certainly beats those at the Beefeater! I think I could actually live off it forever! My partner had the chicken breast, which he says was very much the same experience. For dessert we both had the chocolate brownie with ginger ice cream. If I'm honest, the ginger ice cream was a little strong for my taste, but my partner ate my share so it didn't go to waste - and I certainly wasn't letting him anywhere near the brownie! It lived up to the standard set by the mains and was delicious. We stayed in the bar after dinner and had a few drinks to celebrate my partner's birthday before retiring to an extremely warm and comfortable bed. On our second night we decided we would have starters as well since we were so impressed with the previous night and both had the honey and thyme chicken wings. Well, we weren't disappointed! I could have eaten them all night without any other courses, they were delicious. We did however have other courses, I decided to try the lamb and he had a burger. The lamb was perfectly cooked, though I did have to sift out the whole cloves of garlic in the confit as I'm not a big fan of it in 'neat' form. The burger was delicious too I am informed and was certainly good value for money - it was huge! We both had the chocolate brownie again for dessert (even though we were stuffed!) and it lived up to the standard of the previous night.

Having eaten in the restaurant the night before we were optimistic about breakfast, and we weren't disappointed. We both had a full english (well, we were on holiday!) and the staff again were lovely, nothing was too much trouble if you asked for it - my partner and i both hate mushrooms and he's not a big fan of fried eggs, but when we asked the staff said it was not a problem and we swapped our mushrooms for beans and he had scrambled instead of fried eggs. The quality matched that of dinner - I'm sure I would be enormous if I stayed there any longer than a couple of nights!

Overall we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay at East Close. We were close to Christchurch and Bournemouth - which again I'm sure would be lovely when it's not raining! And we will definitely be staying there again when we get chance. For anyone who is looking for a nice quiet break on the coast this is definitely the place we would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastclose_2013, General Manager at Eastclose Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thanks for your lovely review and we hope to see you again soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I booked two nights dinner, bed and breakfast here in April 2013. When we arrived we entered a very empty hotel and wandered through several shut up rooms before we arrived in the pub section where we found the reception desk. A sign would have been good.
We had a short wait for our room, although we had notified the hotel that we would be arriving an hour before we did. However, we were offered coffee and our room was soon ready.

The room was very nice, large, comfortable with a shabby chic boutique look. Tea/coffee making, large screen TV with freeview, fluffy pillows and spare blankets and both a bath and shower - everything we look for.

When we arrived for dinner that evening we were presented with a menu. We explained that we were guests at the hotel and had paid for dinner. We asked if we could have three courses, or were we limited to certain items. She replied that she believed we could have three courses of our choice but would go and ask as she wasn't sure. When she returned the offer had changed to a maximum spend of £25 per head, which limited us to two courses. We were embarrassed at having to ask and wish this information had been given to us on arrival.

As a foodie I had been looking forward to dinner but have to say that I was personally disappointed. The menu was rather limited and both my husband and I struggled to find something to our taste. For the price of the plates there was really nothing very exciting - steaks, fish, lamb or chicken breast comprised the menu selection. Sadly no game.

I choose the salmon fillet for the first night. It was well cooked but served on a bed of chorizo cassoulet and wilted spinach, where the chorizo over-powered everything else. The second night I had the lamb which was served with 'thyme potato, parsnip and garlic confit'. What actually arrived was some rather poor lamb (although it was nicely pink), on a bed of crushed new potato skins (not for me), with a dash of parsnip puree and whole cloves of garlic. Although I love garlic, I did not enjoy eating a whole very strong clove - by accident I might add. My husband couldn't bear to get too near to me all night for the smell. So all in all there was no subtle blending of flavours, in fact with each dish one overriding flavour smacked you straight in the mouth.

Average price of a plate was around £15 - £18 and this did not include vegetables, potato choice, although when I asked the waitress on the first night if the salmon was served with potato she mistakenly told me that it was served with new potatoes. It wasn't and had I known I would have ordered these separately.

Desserts were a little costly at £5.80 for the cheapest and over £7.00 for cheesecake. We ordered two creme brulees the first night, one vanilla and one Baileys with biscotti. Sadly these were apparently switched on the plates and I ended up eating the Baileys one. Ugh. When we called the waitress over she argued that I did have the vanilla one and it was only when I insisted that I could see the vanilla in my husbands serving and that I could taste the Baileys (which I abhore) that they were sent back and served again.

Breakfast was confusing as we were presented with a menu again, with cooked breakfast at around £10 per head. We didn't like to ask again what was included so had the croissants, pastries and a small selection of cereal left out on the table in the pub.

The staff were very friendly and pleasant and tried to be helpful, but really we felt that they should know the offering and how the food is served.

Although our stay here was pleasant we will not be praising it to our friends. Reasonable value for money but we won't be rushing back. We left slightly disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and identifying the poor communication you experienced with what allowance your rate included. This is very welcome and has given us a prompt to make sure it doesn’t happen again. For the benefit of any guest reading your review I have outlined below what has now been communicated to the staff to clarify this. Thanks once again for bringing this to our attention.

Any guests staying in the hotel on an inclusive rate is entitled to the following food allowances in addition to their room.
Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
Includes: Either a continental or cooked breakfast.
Dinner Bed and Breakfast (DBB)
Includes: Either a continental or cooked breakfast.
Plus: Upto £25 allowance per person for dinner.

This allows for guests to spend their dinner allowance as they wish, they may quite easily have a starter, main, sweet and coffee off the 2 for 1 menu Monday to Friday or if they prefer choose more expensive dishes off the main menu.
The 2 for 1 menu is not available on Saturday Evening but there is plenty of options. Our restaurant is closed on Sunday evening, Sunday lunch can be taken in lieu of Sunday dinner.

Of course our guests can choose to spend over £25 and charge any excess to their room.

Drinks are not included within any inclusive rate.

Allowances should be explained upon check but of course the restaurant staff should also be aware of who is on an inclusive rate and what allowances are included.

Been to Eastclose Hotel? Share your experiences!