“I like the hotel itself but it can do better!!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Piney Point
McLean, Virginia
“I like the hotel itself but it can do better!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have to agree the hotel service has changed a lot. We have checked in to this hotel once or twice a year for a few years now. Views were beautiful and the room was clean and decorated lovely as always; we had a minor issues but nothing that we couldn’t fix ourselves; as we arrived the WIFI connection wasn’t working, Not a problem I brought my own WIFI modem just in case this happened, I walk in to the bedroom the light bulb wasn’t working, not a problem we asked for one and changed it ourselves then we go out to the grill their was trash all over the place, not a problem we cleaned it up. I really like this hotel I love the view the staff is really friendly but I’m really disappointed because 30 minutes after I checked out I Remember I left my Sun Glasses on the bed; I called and the front desk lady went upstairs and said she found nothing; when I know for sure I left them on the right side of the bed. The case was large enough; not to be missed (there is no way the house keeper did not see them) I left the door closed as I walked out of the room; there is no possibility someone else could of walk in there and grab them. they got lost WITHEN 30 MINUTES OF ME LEAVING THE HOTEL….This place used to be our family’s first choice for weekend get-away; but with this kind of service now, we are re-considering our choice in the future. When I go to a hotel I like to feel like I’m a home; not walking out and within 30 min I’ve lost what I left behind

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

My family just visited for a short getaway and we had a fabulous time! The view from the balcony was breathtaking. We had the sunrise view. There were bikes and kayaks for us to use. We took the kayaks out at sunrise one morning....an experience my boys will always remember. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We traveled to some of the local museums during the day but the boys couldn't wait to come back to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Prospect, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were looking for some place Quiet and Secluded. We got it and much much more to our delight. Staff was welcoming and very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were VERY nice and surprised us especially for what we were paying. Our room was large and had a flair of the Tropics. I would have thought to spend 3 or 4 times the price. We chose a room overlooking Saint George Creek which was a Large Bay. The rooms were very quiet (NO A/C Noise at all) so we left the patio door open at night about 6 inches and were put to sleep by the lapping water on the rocks below. You have to remember this is almost to the end of a peninsula so you might have to go a ways for dinner BUT the room has a Microwave, small refrigerator and bar sink with some dishes and glasses. There is also a Grill by the water you can use as well a restaurant next door opened from Wednesday thru Sunday. If you have a boat they have a nice dock you can use.

We would Definitely put this on our “Return To” list.

PS There is also covered Parking..

Room Tip: We liked the top back rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel service has changed a lot. We check in to this hotel quite often for a few years now. However, for the last time we visited, we saw that there was trash everywhere on the floor in parking garage and in the back yard of the hotel.
The trash cans in back yard were not emptied for 3 days while we stayed there; the flies were everywhere inside the hotel. Our room was not clean at all, and there was no toilet paper, the towel was not dry enough…..
It is so sad to see their services going south. This place used to be our family’s first choice for weekend get-away; but with this kind of service now, we are re-considering our choice in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

I'm writing frm my balcony overlooking George's Creek, listening to the waves lap on the shore. Our car thermometer read 114 today...and here I am, OUTSIDE (it has cooled off some...)

The small, new hotel is located on the site of the former Evans Crab House -- on a neck of land so narrow that ur view (EVERY room has a balcony) overlooks either the creek or the river. The very spacious rooms r clean & freshly appointed, w a marble bath & mini-kitchen. The bathrooms have hi-rise toilets (handy, for those of us who r getting older); fridges actually have ice machines! Extremely comfy chairs on the balcony. Icy cold A/C (thnk goodness!). Nicely varied Continental breakfast. Friendly, marvelously helpful & friendly staff.

We even had a Great Blue Heron fly in to welcome us after our arrival frm the Solomons Island 7/4 fireworks.

I almost hesitated publishing this review, as I don't want competition when I make my next reservation! I LOVE it here & can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2012
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was very disappointed during our June 2012 stay at Island Inn and Suites. Sad to say I believed the good reviews and photos. I don't understand how the place received these praises.

We stayed in in the 2 bed/2 bath suite, overlooking the road and roof. So disappointing for what you would assume was one of their best rooms.

Forget having fresh sheets or the bed made. It doesn't happen. Instead, expect the duvets to be yanked up over unmade beds. Sheets were not changed once, nor were beds made once during our five night stay.

Holes in bathroom walls, strange stains on walls (not scuffs, mind you - stains...food? blood?)

Morning breakfast is some granola bars, goldfish crackers and individual cereal boxes tossed on a table in a back room.

We had a very busy agenda while we were there. Otherwise, we would have changed hotels after the second night.

I learned my lesson. Hope you will heed this warning!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Island Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
bwe557 & hid06 -

I must say that we too are very disappointed by the experience you both relate.

As a destination spot offering relaxation and serenity the problems you descibe it is obvious that we did not give you the value we are known for.

Since your stay we have started the process of revamping our breakfast in an attempt to add items that are more substantial. As for the room experience, had I known at the time I assure you this would not have happened. Thanks to your feedback we have fixed the broken clock and the light bulb has been replaced. My team should have been more helpful in assisting with these problems while you were in our care as it looks like we dropped the ball.

Please accept my sincerest apologies as I assure you we are committed to excellence. Reviews like this are needed to remind us we have room for improvement. Without your feedback we would not know these issues have come to light.

Your comments are not taken lightly and we hope you all will give us another chance to show you a relaxing and enjoyable stay.
California, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I went here with a group of 4 for the weekend and it was one problem after another. The views were beautiful and the room was clean and decorated lovely but that's where the positive notes end. We had a 2 bedroom suite (rm 202) that from the moment we walked in had a broken clock, a burnt out light bulb, the TV only got one channel, and the sliding door/blinds were unhinged and off the track. When we reported the clock being broken we were told it would be replaced; it did not. When we reported the TV not working we were told that they were aware and they did nothing about it.
During our get-away we had planned to use the fire pit and grill as well. We had called and asked if we needed to bring our own wood and charcoal but we were informed that this would be supplied for us...yet there was none for us to use. It felt like one roadblock after another. After the first night we expected our room to be cleaned and beds to be made however, all that happened was the staff pulled up our existing sheets and replaced our towels. What they didn't replace was the toilet paper which we ran out of the very next day.
All in all, we managed to have a great time. With this review I only hope that it doesn't deter people from visiting, but makes the staff and managers aware that this behavior will not be overlooked and ignored quitely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Island Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!