“One of the best, quiet discoveries I've come across in Maryland.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Piney Point
Maryland
“One of the best, quiet discoveries I've come across in Maryland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Searching for a place to go, somewhere close in Maryland (from Baltimore) and not wanting to make the trip to Ocean City for a quick get away. I found Island Inn, St George's Island, In St Mary's County. The staff is friendly, the rooms are so beautiful and comfortable, not to mention the view from which ever side you choose to stay are the best. Front view (great for sunsets). Back view (sunrise over looking the pier). The restaurant beside the hotel is really nice, good food, good bar, and nice staff and a great view. It's meets all the requirements for me, Nature , Water Views, Maryland History and Lighthouses close by! if you want peace and quite and a good place to sit on a patio and read a book or two this is it. The best kept secret around, not sure if I want to review the place, because others will find my secret place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We came upon this place through a coupon offered on "Groupon". What a hidden paradise this place is..such a short trip from home but we felt like we were a world away from the everyday! Incredibly friendly and accommodating staff, gorgeous room right on the water and spotless doesn’t cover it. I am a bit of a “clean freak” and have been known to pack cleaning supplies for the less than pristine hotel rooms we find ourselves in. This place was immaculate and showed the TLC that went into it..we had beverages and snacks waiting in our room upon arrival. The attached restaurant served some great food; gotta give some kudos to Jake the bartender….he makes one mean Bloody Mary!!! Overall a relaxing and serene weekend for us..exactly what the doc ordered!

Room Tip: Ask for a sunrise room, best views ever!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
York, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We had wanted to see Historic St. Mary's City in Southern Md., and I bid on an overnight stay & food $ at the Island Inn & Suites in a silent auction. When I got it, I was pleased to find out where the hotel was located, and it fit into our plans very well. We took a long weekend for my wife's birthday, and couldn't have had a more pleasant time. When I made the reservation, I was offered an upgrade to a 1 br suite, and we really appreciated the extra room. The suite was well stocked, and we'd bring some of the food and coffee from the hotel's continental breakfast up to the suite and relax on our balcony, marveling at the view of the wide Potomac River. We had a very good dinner at the restaurant next door. Unfortunately, they seemed to be understaffed, as there were several parties following St. Mary's College graduation. However, the food was excellent, and the hostess stepped up big time, and provided a comp slice of cheesecake with one candle, for my wife's birthday.
We would definitely go back to enjoy the free bikes and kayaks which are available. The staff were very helpful and accomodating and gave us some great recommendations for another dinner.
We strongly recommend visiting Historic St. Mary's City. It is a gem. Just be sure it is open, as it has some interesting hours.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Parma, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Clean, that's one of the first things I look for. This place is spotless and well appointed.

Two friends and I stayed in one of the two bedroom suites and couldn't have been happier with our accommodations. We were on a six day five night fishing trip to beautiful Southern Maryland and the Charter Captain, Bob Bowes, recommended The Island Inn and Suites. He's only five minutes from the hotel so it made the two day trips we booked with him all that much easier.

We planned this trip to coincide with the St. Mary's Oyster Festival so we spent one afternoon there. We hit the various museums and lighthouses and the historic St. Marys City along side the university on another day.

On our down days, we took advantage of the free kayaks available to guests. Enjoyed the dock for both fishing and cleaning fish at the cleaning station.

The hotel also offers a breakfast room that's stocked with various juices, cereals and sandwiches. Along side the coffee maker and supplies in the room, they have a pod coffee maker in the lobby available 24 hours. Very nice and a great alternative to a stale pot of six hour old coffee.

The room boasts great views, a fold out queen size bed, a king and a queen in the bedrooms with large flat screens in each. The kitchenette is stocked with all the basics including a cutting board and wine opener along with service for four.

The bed was very comfortable and had an assortment of pillows. I found one that worked great for me.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great place to relax or to base an adventure.

The restaurant next door even fixed our fish for us on two different nights. And boy did the chef in resident do a great job with both the striped bass and the bluefish.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
savannh,georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We went to visit our son who is at a nearby school of seamanship.It was the only hotel nearby and we had to stay there. We could not have been more pleased.Our room(one bedroom suite) was beautiful and very clean. The bathroom was immaculate with plenty of nice towels.The view from our balcony was incredible.Everyone was so helpful and pleasant.The coffee in the lobby was excellent and that is a big plus for me. We had a great dinner right next door-highly reccomend the crab cakes! We look forward to our next visit!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
drexel hill, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I just had a recent visit at the Island Inn and Suites and it was worth my drive from Philadelphia. The suite we had with the 1 king bed was very spacious and clean. Fabulous view of the Potomac River and the sunsets every night were beautiful.

The staff was extremely friendly. The bar area was very clean and Louis the bartender was just adorable. The food at the restaurant was stellar. I am always in search of the ultimate crabcake and they had it hands-down.

If you are looking for a place to just get away from the all the hustle-bustle you should make a trip to Island Inn and Suites. I know I will be back.

Stayed August 2010
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed for three night and had a wonderful experience! The rooms are lovely right down to the sheets. I like good linens and these were up to my standards. The staff was warm and welcoming. We ate at the restaurant next door twice and had excellent food in a pleasant environment. The Hotel's Breakfast was more than adequate with a nice selection of cereals, fruit, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt , juices and coffee.
The area is quiet with roads prefect for cyclists and runners! We will be back...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Island Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!