“?? Not terrible *at all*” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1726 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208 (Formerly Hilton Pikesville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pikesville
Nashville, Tennessee
“?? Not terrible *at all*”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

This hotel saved my bacon after another one in the area proved too scary to stay in (see my other reviews for a clue as to which one). I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to stay here. It's directly across the street from a Target store, and near a Trader Joes, Barnes and Noble, Subway Sandwich etc. It's also right off I-695, making it insanely easy to reach.

Despite my last-minute reservation, I wound up in a HUGE first-floor room that had obviously been recently renovated. It was incredibly comfortable, with good ventilation, good light-blocking shades, and a bed I can't seem to get out of. The room opens onto a neat sort of central patio area, with a gigantic and very clean swimming pool. There was plenty of free parking and free WiFi, which connected immediately and with a strong signal.

I thought the staff were really good. I got locked out of my room at one point (long story involving trapping curtains in door) and they were great about helping me out. I kept stopping by the desk to chat, since my room was located nearby, and they were all really uniformly friendly and helpful.

This venue is only about two miles from Pimlico Racetrack, site of a popular yearly music festival. I'll be back, probably about this time next year. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for the area, too.

• Liked — Very comfortable and quiet; location
  • Disliked — Nothing, really. I suppose they could add a fridge in the room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I have stayed at this Hilton many times in the past, and always thought the hotel needed some rennovations and updating.
This stay they had finally done it. My room had new carpet, new furniture, VERY comfortable new bedding, new lighting, new updated bathroom with new vanity and upgraded shower head.
Only thing they didnt put in the rooms was a new tv ( I was hoping for a flat screen) The lobby, hallways, elevators, could still use some updating, but get past the older exterior and common areas, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the large size of your room and the upgrades made to it.

The Hotel also gives any guest a gym pass to the indoor tennis facility and gym located next door to the hotel, and is even connected to the first floor hallway so you do not have to go outside to get to it. It is a really nice gym and tennis facility with a lot of equipment. Definitely a plus for staying here is the gym.

They used to have a good sports bar with good sports bar food ( and half price during happy hour ) but the sports bar has since been closed and they expanded the "fancy" restaurant, which used to be San Marco, but now is FountainView or something like that. The bar is now part of the Fountainview, but the menu for the bar was scaled down to a limited selection. I used to enjoy going to the gym and then hitting the sports bar for a bite afterwards. Even though the hostess welcomed me into the bar, I did feel a bit underdressed in my gym clothes. But the burger was good. :-)

I will definitely continue to stay here on my future business trips to Md, and with the new rennovations will be much happier as well.

Only complaint - Not a single snack vending machine anywhere in the hotels 5 floors of vending areas! Plenty of Soda machines, but if you want a late night snack, your screwed as the sundries shop closes early. The gym has a vending machine, but they lock the door from the hotel to the gym at 10:45. So go early or go hungry.

• Liked — Attached Gym, New Upgrades to Room including comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — No Snack Vending machines.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

Stayed here while visiting family in the area, so was really only in need of a clean, quite place to sleep.

The staff was very friendly, the breakfast buffet in the morning was fabulous. However, it was expensive.

The room was Hilton quality, no complaints.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

I recently stayed in this hotel with a group of co-workers. We were in town for 5 days for work. This hotel stay was arranged by our company. Apparently our company had used them several times before.

The day we arrived, I approached the desk to check in. The lady asked for my credit card, which I provided. My company had informed me beforehand that they would require my CC for incidentals. At this time I wanted to verify this, so I asked if it was for incidentals because my company had already paid for the room. The lady told me that she just had to have my credit card to scan. A minute later she told me that my card had been declined. I informed her again that the card was supposed to be for incidentals, not for the room. My room was on my company's credit card. She brought out the manager (or maybe just A manager?).

The manager was extremely cold and had very little patience. After speaking with our company he informed all of us that we wouldn't have this problem if our company had bothered to follow the correct procedure. We apologized for the inconvenience. He didn't even respond. At this point we had been nothing but polite, and had not received so much as a smile since we walked in. We eventually got everything straightened out and the manager did not even look at us when he handed each of us our key cards.

After settling in, we decided to go downstairs for dinner. They had a new restaurant, and the old one was under construction. The man at the podium in front of the restaurant looked very agitated that we were standing in the hall near him. I politely told him that we were deciding on dinner, as we hadn't been aware that the other restaurant was closed. He rudely informed us that they had been open 2 weeks and the other restaurant was under construction as the SIGN SAYS. We were stunned. I couldn't understand why he was being so rude to us. We were still in travel clothes, so I made an assumption... "is this restaurant reservations only?" He SMIRKED at me, finally saying, "NO." At this point we are thinking we must be on candid camera. Surely no one is this blatantly rude to potential customers! Then he says, "Dinner or light fare." One of my co-workers didn't hear him and asked him to repeat the question. He then said, "I SAID DINNER or LIGHT FARE." We were so shocked that I just said dinner. We were seated by a man that was the first person to smile at us since we arrived at the hotel. The menu was short and very expensive. We unanimously decided that we were not paying that much for food at a restaurant where we were just treated like complete trash. We left.

I know this review is long, but felt I MUST share this experience so others can avoid it. I understand the need for high standards in staff behavior, but not rudeness and snootyness to the point of alienating your guests!

The room was very nice, but a lot of smokers on non-smoking floors (actually the hotel was non-smoking I believe?). I complained to the front desk when my bathroom filled up with cigarette smoke from the vent. Nothing was done. The third time I called down (over the course of 2 days) I actually heard someone knock on my neighbors door and ask them to stop smoking.

To give the hotel staff credit, the cleaning staff was great, and two of the ladies that work the front desk actually cracked a smile when speaking to us over the course of the week.

We are staying at another Hilton in the area next week. Let's hope things go better! This one, (Owings Mill) actually has refrigerators in the rooms, and is in walking distance from many restaurants.

• Liked — The bed was soft.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

We had been working in the Baltimore area for a couple weeks and had been staying at Hilton properties because we are hhonors members. We moved to this Hilton after being in the White Marsh Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn.
Upon first arriving at the check in counter the two clerks began checking us in. They looked as though they had slept in their uniforms for a week. They were absolutely dishevelled looking. One's name tag was hanging from her jacket in such a way that one of the pins must have come undone and between the two of them, they didn't notice it. They did a good job of checking us in, so no complaints beside the poor appearance. After all, these are the first people and initial impression of a hotel for arriving guests.
I went to my room and immediately sat down and started checking my email. I looked up from the computer to see a small plastic bottle on the floor next to the head of the bed. I investigated it and found it to be an opened, half used bottle of Silk Personal Lubricant. Looking around the room it was obvious that the cleaning staff had not even bothered to vacuum the floor. There were peices of plastic and a strange blue pill on the floor.
I called the front desk and the manager arrived. He was very apologetic and asked me if I wanted to change rooms. I found it odd that he asked the question, but atleast he did get me a different room on a different floor.
As for the rest of the hotel, it's ghetto. It's not a Hilton level hotel, it's not even on par with a Motel 6. Everything was either dirty or scratched or dented or needed paint. It looked like the bathrooms had all been recently remodeled, but they really need to just sell the property to someone else and not fool us loyal Hilton Honors members into staying at a sub standard hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We just returned from a trip to Baltimore and we were pleasantlty surprised on this hotel. I was unsure of what we were getting into because no one really reviewed this hotel. The hotel was on the outskirts of Baltimore. It was easy and close to all of the attractions. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. They recommmended a great seafood restaurant 3 miles down the road. The bed was great! It was comfy and we slept great. The overall room looked like an average hotel room.

Stayed September 2007
Bellaire, TX (Houston)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

Front desk personnel (especially Ahmed) very helpful. Rooms have been renovated since our last stay. Excellent location next to 695.

• Liked — Location/Service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville? Share your experiences!