“Great every time!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Pasadena, Maryland
“Great every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have been several times, once for lunch and two other times for dinner. I have had great food and service. they have a great appetizer that is crab in little pastry shells, forgot the name of them but I love them! You will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Severna Park, MD
“Not sure if we would go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Got there on a Saturday evening around 6:00pm. They need a bartender who knows how to mix drinks. Our server was Carla who was very nice and we did hear the specials. They looked like they had enough wait staff, management out front and boys to clean off the tables. The problem I believe is in the kitchen, they may not have enough staff back there. This was the first time we have been to Tall Oaks since new management took over. The restaurant has been updated and looks nice and the prices are reasonable. The food is no where near as good as the old Tall Oaks. They say they have kept some of the old Tall Oak recipes, the stewed tomatoes were always a favorite of mine and what they serve now is not the same. They were OK. I ordered the sauteed spinach and it was quite horrible. I had my husband taste it and he said he thought it was sour as in spoiled. I told Carla and she thanked me for the info. I ordered the stuffed shrimp which were good and my husband had the blackened prime rib which he said was good. The presentation of the food was good but a waste of time if the taste doesn't match up. We also had to wait 20 minutes to get our change. Just "good" food does not say we will be back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bowie, Maryland, United States
“Food pretty good, service pretty bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

After being seated, we waited about 10 minutes before the hostess came and tried to take a drink order, but she had no idea what we were talking about when it came to our drinks. Within two minutes after that, we had two servers come to our table telling us they were going to be our server. Not a good start. It does not appear the servers have sections, but work on a rotation system that has them running all over the restaurant waiting on tables. We never heard about the specials and two servers had no idea what the sauces were that are served on the veal. The food that came out of the kitchen was good, however. I had the pork chop and my wife had the Veal Maria although we had to send back her dinner because they prepared it with the wrong sauce. We enjoyed both dishes. The bottom line about this place is they need a manager who can properly train the servers on how to wait on tables. My wife and I were called "guys" by each person we encountered. We were given red wine glasses with white wine. It just seems like the servers are running around with no direction. The prices are very reasonable. This is a casual restaurant, most of the clientele were wearing shorts. Don't think we will go back since we aren't in Pasadena very often. This restaurant could be so much better if someone would put in the effort. If you aren't too picky about the service you receive, you will probably like this place. It was crowded when we got there (6:30), but after that group cleared out, the place was pretty empty. Maybe the service improves when there are less people.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, MD
“Some food good, service spotty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Went to this restaurant around 6:30 and were seated immediately. They were mabe 1/2 to 3/4 full. Our waitress wasn't very attentive and seemed to be more worried about her other tables when taking our order. She actually stopped mid-order and went over to the other table to deliver food. Ordered 1/2 doz oysters. Took forever. One of the owners came out to apologize and said that the kitchen got 'slammed'. When the oysters came out, they gave us a dozen. Nice touch. But the oysters were some of the smallest I have ever had. I ordered a stuffed shrimp entree which was very good. My fiance had a pasta dish with shrimp. There were only 4 small shrimp in the dish. He wished he had ordered mine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We just had a great meal at Tall Oaks. It was our first visit and we can't wait to go back. The rosemary grilled chicken was great, as were the fish tacos and burger. Try the shaved onion appetizer. The onions were lightly battered and not greasy. Lava cake and the (I think it was called)" chocolatastic cake " were also a hit. Very reasonable prices and the service was very attentive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere