“Customer Service relations horrible...NEVER AGAIN!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Owings Mills
baltimore
“Customer Service relations horrible...NEVER AGAIN!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

On April 17, 2009 my sister decided to treat her just turning 5 yr old daughter to a sleepover in a hotel...complete with swimming in the pool, movies and games. Upon arrival at approximately 7pm at night a security guard (who has security patrolling in plain sight) knocked on the door and said that the kids were too loud. We just arrived!!! Since arriving the security guard seemed as if she only had one job and that was to harassed us. The front desk called and said that they had received complaints that these little girls were too loud. When I asked because we were in the pool from 8:15 until 9:45 so they could not have been getting any complaints. Once we reached the room again, the front desk along with security said they were going to put us out if they get one more complaint. I found this odd because it was like 8 vehicles in the parking lot so where were all the complaints coming from. Needless to say we looked between the lines and didnt like what we saw. The front dest was very nonchalant with out complaints and refused to give us our money back. We only stayed in the room for 3 hours. They were rude and their customer service was horrible. Will never stay in another hilton garden again!!! Will continue to write to who ever to get a remedy.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I'm serious - it literally smells bad! From the minute we got in the elevators (one smells like vomit, the other like a stale smokey bar), through the hallway (more stale smoke and weird food odors) to the room (mildew and smoke) it smelled disgusting. The 6th floor is 1/2 smoking. Why is ANY floor half smoking? If someone smokes on the level it all stinks like smoke.
We were given a handicap room which is strange because the hotel was nearly empty on the night we arrived. Yes it was huge but totally nonfunctional with furniture stuck up against the walls and a huge empty space in the middle. The shower head was a cheap handheld model that was more like being spritzed from a spray bottle than a normal shower flow.
Besides the nasty odors the service stinks too. When we arrived the front desk staff acted like we were a huge inconveinence. Her entire attitude was that she was bored and put out. The other bad attitude was the breakfast Hostess who did not greet us she just barked orders about where we could sit and what to do with our laptop bags. The first day one of the servers was excellent - attentive and concerned, the second day the server only came by well after we were finished.
The breakfast itself was inconsistant - one day was good, the next day they were "so busy!" with about 10 people in the dining room and eggs were served raw. Another strange thing were the grungy rounds of rubbery drawer liner used as place mats in the dining area - they were filthy and gross!
The final and most disconcerting issue was the ghetto atmosphere that took over at night. Lots of shouting in the hallway in the middle of the night (this is a weeknight) and very gangsta characters cruising around. Their familiarity with the staff makes me think they spend a LOT of time here.

This is not at all what you expect from a business hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else - especially the stench!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SportsCzar, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Owings Mills, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
As General Manager of the hotel I would like to apologize for your poor experience. I was not manager at the time of your stay so I can't really speak to the particulars of your comments.

All I can honestly say is in the over two months that I have been on property, I have not seen anythng near approaching the experience you described. I'm not doubting what you said, but it must have truly been an isolated incident.

Our hotel actually is ranked in the top percentage of all Hilton Garden Inns in the North East. We have a very friendly and hospitable staff and I encourage anyone to contact me directly, if they experience a problem with their stay.

Bisbee, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

My lovely experience started with my check in... I am very sorry that I - a paying customer - had the nerve to actually want her to put down the phone and check me in... and while she was catching up on the latest talk between her friends... the nerve of me!

The gangstas in the hallway were a bit of a suprise... seems they pretty much live there. Niiicccee.... (I made sure to lock my door)...

The smoky hallway left me wondering if this was a modern business hotel or.... ??? I am not really sure what the girl in the lobby was doing, although I suspect that for the right price... hey, this is THAT kind of place.

(At this point I must add that I am still talking about a Hilton Garden Inn in a business area... just to be clear)

The room (621) was - odd. Okay, its a handicap accessible room, but this was.... bizarre. For all of the space, it was very non-functional. Oddly, the sink in the bathroom was not only non-ADA compliant, it was... hard for me to reach.... The ADA shower was oddly small... with a cheap hand held wand....

Then there was breakfast. Upon arriving in the breakfast area, I was informed that I must "place my bag against the wall". So, I understand that the lady didn't want to trip over my laptop bag... but then, if you watch what you are doing, you don't have to lecture your guests like a school teacher... that was pretty much the point that I said.... "Never again.. not even if you paid me!"

To be fair, the male server at breakfast was OUTSTANDING. He was attentive and helpful - exactly what I expect. My advice to him - get out of this place as soon as possible!

The services were acceptable - good internet connectivity and the like...

But hey... just lock your doors...

Not even if you paid me.

• Liked — The male server at breakfast was EXCELLENT
  • Disliked — Gangstas in the hallway, the smoky, non-smoking rooms, just about... everything....
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Marys, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, visiting our newborn grandson and family. The first night, the heating system was so loud that it woke us up every time it went on. The room was fairly newly furnished, had refrig, microwave, counter space, desk, no table to eat at, and one lounge chair and 1 desk chair...so 2 people could not have sat and had a snack at the same time. The second night, we were awakened by a fire alarm at 1:50 and again at 2:o'clock...We found later that some guest had set the alarm off in the whole building making popcorn. This is a hazard when there are microwaves close to the smoke detectors!
Our complaints gave us half price on the room, since that's about all the sleep we got.
The hotel charges an additionsl $9.95 for their breakfast buffet. We did not eat there.
This hotel had been recommended to my son and his wife as a convenient place for us to stay, but think we'll look for another location for the next trip.

• Liked — good bed
  • Disliked — noisy heating system and false flire alarm...Glad to know it works, but not the way it did
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

I'm all about having a comfy bed when I travel, and the Hilton Garden Inn at Owings Mills did not disappoint. You can tailor your desired firmness on either side of the bed, and there was an abundance of pillows so you can find one that suits you. The room was very clean, but the walls were a little thin. We could hear conversations through the wall, but luckily none of the guests were rowdy, so everything did eventually settle down. The front desk staff were extraordinarily friendly, especially nice since we were arriving late. The location was excellent for our purposes...we were going to the Virgin Music Festival at the Pimlico Racetrack.

I don't know that I would recommend this location if your activities are downtown. But it is extremely close to a metro station so you could manage without too much hassle. We didn't try the buffet breakfast, but it was very packed and popular. Go to nearby Reisterstown Rd or outside the mall across the street for more dining options. Overall I was very pleased with this property and would stay here again.

• Liked — Convenience of lcoation, nice overall property
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've stayed in a Hilton hotel and must say that I cannot understand its business model. It charges somewhat premium rates, and certainly bill itself as a premium business hotel, but it leaves out so many services/features that are standard in comparable chains. When possible I avoid Hilton, preferring Marriott. In this particular case we were at this hotel because it was booked by my wife's company. We wish they would have saved some money and put us up down the street at the Amerisuites instead. While the room was quite nice (the beds were extremely comfortable) there was only one small chest of drawers, so inadequate room for our clothes. The failure to include breakfast in the rate seems unexcusable today when that seems standard everywhere else. Also, the distance from the hotel to the nearby subway station is beyond a casual walk, so a shuttle service should be available. The pool would have been great if it had been working properly while we were there. I did appreciate the internet access in the lobby. Also, the staff were all wonderful. In the end, I wouldn't stay here again unless someone else was paying, but we'll recommend to my wife's travel group that they consider the Amerisuites down the street instead.

• Liked — Staff and bed
  • Disliked — Lack of clothing storage; no breakfast included
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Owings Mills
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I hated it. The room we stayed in was dirty and full of mildew. The guest made we wait an hour when we had made reservations. I have been to a lot of hotels but this one was HORRIBLE. The had no breakfast the sheets were dirty and had ants in them. Disgusting. I would definitley not go to this hotel

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Owings Mills? Share your experiences!