“An upbeat little spot.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Stone's Cove Kitbar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 108 Restaurants in Owings Mills
Transit: Reisterstown & Strawhat N/B
Lynchburg, Virginia
“An upbeat little spot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were on our way to Bonefish Grill,, but when we turned into the parking lot, it appeared that the "under construction" restaurant was open, so we took a chance.

First, what the heck is a "kitbar"? Its a bar with a visible kitchen, a kitchen-bar. That is, you can see everything being prepared. The idea being that when folks entertain, the crowd gravitates to the kitchen.

Once passing through the revolving doors, you see a small lounge area with puffy chairs and small sofas to the left, then there are tables around the perimeter (predominantly 4-tops that we saw), and two bar seating areas on each side, facing the center food prep/bar area. As we were a party of two, my husband and I were seated at the bar by the hostess.

There appeared to be about a dozen servers aka "Chef-Tenders" working the service area. This got confusing because we were greeted by one person, who told usher name, about the kitbar concept and the menu, then at least 2 or 3 other people asked if we'd been taken care of. Your menu is also your placemat. We ordered two of the featured drinks from the Libations and "Edibations" menu.:Blood Orange Collins, and the Spiced Mango Mojito, and the Bourbon Beef bites to start.

My Collins was wonderful and my husband loved the Spiced Mojito. The beef bites were a tease. Only four spoonfuls. Each with a grape sized bite of beef sitting in a lovely sweet sauce and healthy splash of bourbon. Six bites would be perfect. They were tasty though.

For our meal, I requested the spicy torch-shaped pasta with added shrimp, and my husband had the honey jalepeno chicken salad sandwich. My pasta was delightful. The shrimp were grilled and seasoned to perfection. The sandwich lost a lot of the filling when my husband picked it up. His plate was served with a bag of potato chips... Sure they were tasty Kettle brand Salt and Pepper chips, but really? A BAG of chips? How about a snazzy fresh made crunchy salad of some sort? He was happy though. I finished my Collins and had a lemon-mint martini. A yummy drink.

Another couple were seated next to us, and ordered the same appetizer we did at the same time as their entrees. Unfortunately, the Chef Tender didn't separate the "firing" of the two parts of their meal, and their dinners showed up before the appetizer. Oops.

We indulged in dessert. The "cones" two each of the espresso and key lime filled ones. They were topped with way too much whipped cream, but the filling inside was quite tasty. The espresso won hands down for flavor.

Stone's Cover has only been open for 3 weeks, so it looks like they're still working out the kinks. It took too long to get our check. It was confusing to have so many different people ask if we needed anything. But overall, our meal was tasty, and we'll be returning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Owings Mills, MD
“A Guy walks into a bar and”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Is it a restaurant with a bar or a bar with a restaurant that is the question. Seating around the bar/kitchen prep area is ok. Limited seating at real tables which I would have preferred. Food is nothing special, but noise level is especially high. Looks like the restaurant is aiming at college age kids since it right across the street from Stevenson University. They must be very glad to have a liquor license for that means they can make lots of money from customers of all ages. Would I go back maybe... the burger I had was good. Not great, just good. A little on the small side. But they probably deserve a second chance to try out the food. Not a place for conversation but people watching while eating was fun.

• Visited June 2013